Value of: Galchenyuk (Blowout Edition)

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Apparently sarcasm needs to be clearly marked for everyone to get it.

But, shouldn't it really be 61 games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4, since that's all Galchenyuk actually played last year? And I could easily point to all the years when Duchene outscored Galchenyuk (it's more than 61 games), or that it took Duchene having a career worst season on a historically bad team for Galchenyuk to beat him by 2 whole points, but you seem to be having fun thinking that Galchenyuk is better than Duchene, and I wouldn't want reality to ruin that for you.

LOL and just a bit before you stated Sakic doesn't have to trade Duchene because the team is winning (4-1). 5 games man. Do you really think your team will make the playoffs?? Do you really think Sakic hopes this pace continues so he doesn't have to trade Duchene for half of what he is asking and get embarassed about it?? If so, he is even more stupid than i thought.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
LOL and just a bit before you stated Sakic doesn't have to trade Duchene because the team is winning (4-1). 5 games man. Do you really think your team will make the playoffs?? Do you really think Sakic hopes this pace continues so he doesn't have to trade Duchene for half of what he is asking and get embarassed about it?? If so, he is even more stupid than i thought.

Actually, I said that it's unlikely that Sakic trades Duchene right now, because the team is playing well. Whether you believe the team can have long term success is irrelevant, and it's still unlikely that they'll make a trade, unless it definitely makes the team better. And given how well they are playing, I'm not sure many offers are going to come in that do that, right now. So, most likely, nothing is going to happen until they are no longer playing well.

But, yes, I do think the Avs can make the playoffs, if they can keep up the play they've shown this far. Whether or not they can keep up the play remains to be seen, but what's the harm in giving in another 10-20 games and seeing what happens before even considering making any changes? Oh, right, because Duchene will be a locker room cancer, and suck at hockey, and the long list of other reasons people tried to use to claim Duchene had to be traded before the season started.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
A trade that could make sense for both team's, if he'd waive, and he might as he's currently playing 3c and probably not moving past the two Cs in front of him, would be Frans Nielson straight up for AG

Nielson would slide right into Montreals top 6 and Galchenyuk would slide into Detroits 3c, presumably filling Zetterberg's slot in top 6 over the next couple of years whether at C or wing.

Nielson would bring consistency to Montreal's top 6 and AG would get the change of scenery he needs, lessening the pressure he's obviously not dealing with well. Detroit would have to make the decision based on long term production, hoping AG finds his game, as Nielson is the better player as we speak. The age difference might mean something to other organizations but isn't the case with Montreal. Nielson has a good 5 yrs left in the tank.

AG has all the tools but his continued decline doesn't help in going after a Duchene or any other top tier player. Nielson will bring the Habs 3-4 years of production in their top 6. With no centers on the horizon, this is also probably the best type return the Habs could hope for, if we're talking about production over the next few years, availability of a top 6 center and the possibility of a team (Detroit) willing to deal one away.

Some may say try to get AA out of Detroit instead but I doubt Detroit makes that deal. One stat GMs don't overlook is TOI/PTS and AA owns it. If he's moved, people are going to be very surprised at what he brings in return.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
A trade that could make sense for both team's, if he'd waive, and he might as he's currently playing 3c and probably not moving past the two Cs in front of him, would be Frans Nielson straight up for AG

Nielson would slide right into Montreals top 6 and Galchenyuk would slide into Detroits 3c, presumably filling Zetterberg's slot in top 6 over the next couple of years whether at C or wing.

Nielson would bring consistency to Montreal's top 6 and AG would get the change of scenery he needs, lessening the pressure he's obviously not dealing with well. Detroit would have to make the decision based on long term production, hoping AG finds his game, as Nielson is the better player as we speak. The age difference might mean something to other organizations but isn't the case with Montreal. Nielson has a good 5 yrs left in the tank.

AG has all the tools but his continued decline doesn't help in going after a Duchene or any other top tier player. Nielson will bring the Habs 3-4 years of production in their top 6. With no centers on the horizon, this is also probably the best type return the Habs could hope for, if we're talking about production over the next few years, availability of a top 6 center and the possibility of a team (Detroit) willing to deal one away.

Some may say try to get AA out of Detroit instead but I doubt Detroit makes that deal. One stat GMs don't overlook is TOI/PTS and AA owns it. If he's moved, people are going to be very surprised at what he brings in return.

WTF??

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Lol a 33 year old Nielson has the potential to be one of the worst contracts in the NHL. If he goes from being a 40ish point guy to a 30 or less guy, he has significant negative value.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Lol a 33 year old Nielson has the potential to be one of the worst contracts in the NHL. If he goes from being a 40ish point guy to a 30 or less guy, he has significant negative value.

What would you say AG is worth then?? He's 23 and he's been going the wrong direction for an extended period of time now. What do you think they can get? Teams dont give away top 6 Cs... AG hasnt shown he can play C at NHL level and he's 5 years in.. Habs wont take a prospect in return. So what should they expect??

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
What would you say AG is worth then?? He's 23 and he's been going the wrong direction for an extended period of time now. What do you think they can get? Teams dont give away top 6 Cs... AG hasnt shown he can play C at NHL level and he's 5 years in.. Habs wont take a prospect in return. So what should they expect??

Galchenyuk is still a great young player, who has a 30 goal season. Nielsen has negative value. The two assets aren't even close. I don't think Galchenyuk will land you Duchene, but he'll bring a lot better back than Nielsen.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
As a Leafs fan, id jump all over Bergevin if he is looking to move him.

For whatever reason, he seems to have fallen out of favor at the same time MTL seems to be in a 'win now' mode.

I know the JVR+Bozak narative has been thrown around allot, but with MTL's struggle to score right now, it could be an interesting deal.

Bozie+JVR (@50%)+Leivo
for
Galch + McCaron/Scherbak

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems about right to me. RNH costs more... I think, but don't know if, Galchenyuk benefit the Oil by being a skilled winger on one of the two Super Studs lines.

I think RNH would help the Habs?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
As a Leafs fan, id jump all over Bergevin if he is looking to move him.

For whatever reason, he seems to have fallen out of favor at the same time MTL seems to be in a 'win now' mode.

I know the JVR+Bozak narative has been thrown around allot, but with MTL's struggle to score right now, it could be an interesting deal.

Bozie+JVR (@50%)+Leivo
for
Galch + McCaron/Scherbak

It really isn't.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
And can be had in the upcoming offseason for nothing but cap space.

Incorrect! He will very likely be on a new contract by then.

But even if that was the case, the whole point of teams trading for guys BEFORE they become UFA's, is to lock them up for less money, for term, and also to keep other teams around them from getting the guy. So act now, teams......times running out!! Order your JVR today!!

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Incorrect! He will very likely be on a new contract by then.

But even if that was the case, the whole point of teams trading for guys BEFORE they become UFA's, is to lock them up for less money, for term, and also to keep other teams around them from getting the guy. So act now, teams......times running out!! Order your JVR today!!

That makes absolutly no sense at all, if the player wants to test the free market he will do so, trade or not. Locking the player before he gets UFA has absolutly nothing to do with how much $$ he will want. Its alot of different factor, he has alot more chance to take discount for toronto because he has an afinity for the team than a random team he acquires him at the deadline-ish, anyway imo JVR will want to get big money frok being underpaid for years. He knows that and open market is his best bet.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
That makes absolutly no sense at all, if the player wants to test the free market he will do so, trade or not. Locking the player before he gets UFA has absolutly nothing to do with how much $$ he will want. Its alot of different factor, he has alot more chance to take discount for toronto because he has an afinity for the team than a random team he acquires him at the deadline-ish, anyway imo JVR will want to get big money frok being underpaid for years. He knows that and open market is his best bet.

Yeah..........IF he wants to test the free agent market. But once traded, that new team can offer 8 years instead of 7 on the "open market", which is a huge plus these days. Lets see..........8 years at 6 million per, as opposed to 7 years at 6 million per. TOUGH DECISION FOR THE PLAYER!!

The guy is 28 and is a multiple 30-goal guy(close enough, anyway.... ;) ). He's going to get a nice 8 year deal to set himself up, either from the Leafs, or from the team he is traded to.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah..........IF he wants to test the free agent market. But once traded, that new team can offer 8 years instead of 7 on the "open market", which is a huge plus these days. Lets see..........8 years at 6 million per, as opposed to 7 years at 6 million per. TOUGH DECISION FOR THE PLAYER!!

The idea being that the extra year can be outweighed by a potential 'bidding war' to occur. This isnt the case for all players, but sought after players - sure.

8x 6 is nice, but what if you could do 7x7 instead? I get to play one year less and make a million more per year.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
The idea being that the extra year can be outweighed by a potential 'bidding war' to occur. This isnt the case for all players, but sought after players - sure.

8x 6 is nice, but what if you could do 7x7 instead? I get to play one year less and make a million more per year.

Yeah. Maximum term is not important to platers at all. That's right.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Do you really think the Has are going to make the playoffs? Do you think Bergevin hopes the team can reverse their performance without a major change or a re-build? Do you think he is so stupid he doesn't know he shouldn't have given Price that contract and is now stuck?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah. Maximum term is not important to platers at all. That's right.

I appreciate the response. Your argument is so bulletproof, that I wasn't even going to bother with the below. Maybe I shouldn't. Clearly, your logical rebuttal to what i posted is infallible, so I shouldn't bother. But I will, because i'm a sucker for punishment and want to reward your impressive intellectual prowess.

It Largely depends on the players age and desires.

For a 34 year old, i doubt term is important. It probably has more to do with chances to win a cup, travel required (most upper 30 players have kids and would like to be around for that a little more as they age), location you are playing in, etc.

Conversely, younger players taking 8 years is a gamble. McDavid didnt want an 8 year contract. You can argue it's because he wanted to curb the effect of the lockout, but you could just as easily argue because he wants a chance to cash in again before he turns 30. For some players, 8 years is ideal, because they get guaranteed money. But they could be selling themsleves short, or hedging bets that the cap situation, and thus max earnings, wont improve. Or, that their potential gain from signing short term as it pertains to the risk of a potential career ending injury is too great.

But please, enlighten me more about how term is the only thing that matters.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

LOL stop drinking and posting. f***ing horrific for the habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad