Galchenyk/Petry/Drouin -89

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
f*** me that's brutal, -89 between the 3 of them. I know it's not a good stat and all but f*** that's bad.

Galchenyuk -31 (82 games)
Petry -30 (82 games)
Drouin -28 (77 games)

Pac -16 (64 games)
Gallagher -13 (82 games)
Hudon -12 (72 games)
Morrow -11 (38 games)
Lehkonen -11 (66 games)

From 8 players, that's a -152 and only 2 are defensemen, with only 1 playing more then half a season.

The only plus players that appeared in more then 25 games,

Deslauriers +7 (58 games)
Mete + 5 (49 games)
Pleks +3 (60 games)
Schlemko +3 (37 games)

Here's how all the defensemen did,

Petry -30 (82 games)
Morrow -11 (38 games)
Weber -8 (26 games)
Alzner -7 (82 games)
Lernout -5 (18 games)
Davidson -3 (13 games)
Benn -2 (77 games)
Streit -2 (2 games)
Jerabek -1 (25 games)

Valiev E (2 games)

Mete + 5 (49 games)
Schlemko +3 (37 games)
Juulsen +1 (23 games)
Reilly +1 (19 games)

That's a -59 overall

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Don’t get me wrong, -30 for Petry is pretty bad but in his defense, he had to play tougher matchups due to necessity and despite the +/-, I thought he was one of the brighter spots during the season. That isn’t saying much though.

But yeah, those are some ugly numbers throughout the team.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
It's not a popular stat but i still put weight in it for players who log big minutes. If you play big minutes and you have a huge minus then probably there is something too it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Don’t get me wrong, -30 for Petry is pretty bad but in his defense, he had to play tougher matchups due to necessity and despite the +/-, I thought he was one of the brighter spots during the season. That isn’t saying much though.

But yeah, those are some ugly numbers throughout the team.

It was a crazy year for Petry, last year he sets a career high in pts with 28, this year he gets more assists (30) then he's ever had pts. He's now put up 70 pts in the last 2 years in 162 games.

He was forced into a role he's not meant for, so I wasn't knocking him as he's just not a #1 defensemen.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's not a popular stat but i still put weight in it for players who log big minutes. If you play big minutes and you have a huge minus then probably there is something too it.

Playing lots of minutes on a bad team means your going to give you a bad +/- no matter the player.

When Kopitar started out and the Kings were bad, he was a -56 over 4 seasons, they got better and he had a great +/-. Last year the Kings struggled he was -10, this year they are better and he's a +21.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Yeah but Brendan Gallagher and Jonathan Drouin have very similar Time On Ice stats different by only a minute and a half roughly and Gallagher played a few more games. Why the massive difference in Plus Minus between the two?

Not being vindictive fellas just enjoy the hockey talk.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah but Brendan Gallagher and Jonathan Drouin have very similar Time On Ice stats different by only a minute and a half roughly and Gallagher played a few more games. Why the massive difference in Plus Minus between the two?

Drouin sucks in his own end, plays like a cream puff, puts in a lazy effort in his own end. Gallagher busts his ass at both ends night in and night out.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Petry I don't blame. He took on the lions share of weight on defense this year. He was punching above his weight class all year. And I actually thought he did what he could pretty well.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Drouin sucks in his own end, plays like a cream puff, puts in a lazy effort in his own end. Gallagher busts his ass at both ends night in and night out.

So with that reasoning that would prove the point that yes Plus Minus does mean something in some case. When you have two players playing similar minutes, with similar players and a similar amount of games and one has a lot more minus... then there is something too it.

I think Drouin is an offensive tool. I believe that some players are pure offense and they should be used as such and deployed with players to support that. Gallagher is Gallagher and we would be hard pressed to find another beauty like that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So with that reasoning that would prove the point that yes Plus Minus does mean something in some case. When you have two players playing similar minutes, with similar players and a similar amount of games and one has a lot more minus... then there is something too it.

I think Drouin is an offensive tool. I believe that some players are pure offense and they should be used as such and deployed with players to support that. Gallagher is Gallagher and we would be hard pressed to find another beauty like that.

for sure. Plus minus can be a very misleading stat but it also has it's uses. Drouin and Galchenyuk just aren't very good in their own end and certainly aren't as good or give the effort in their own end as Gallagher.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think he looked better then Benn and Alzner when you factor in coming back from injuries. Granted that's not saying much.
SIX NHL teams since 2014-15. He did look better than Benn and Alzner but that is truly not saying much. Time to get better players.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

If you play big minutes and are a huge minus, that's an excellent sign you're a top player on a godawful team and its the other guys fault not yours. The biggests minuses every year tend to be good players in bad situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->