Gabe Gauthier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
Anyone think he will continue professionally when done at Denver and work himself into the NHL down the line? He has been magnificent in the playoffs and I think he he was 3rd-4th in the WCHA this year in scoring. :dunno:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Cropduster said:
Anyone think he will continue professionally when done at Denver and work himself into the NHL down the line? He has been magnificent in the playoffs and I think he he was 3rd-4th in the WCHA this year in scoring. :dunno:
Usually you would project a guy when he is 17-18-19. Gauthier is 3/4th in scoring but is already 21 years old.

Since he is a small guy (5'9, 5'10) I think he is a very long shot.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
personally, i think the whole age thing is overated - being a late bloomer just means you will have to work harder....which gabe does. it depends more on whether or not he will stick with it and keep working hard until he does make it. ive watched the majority of his games and can honestly say he could make it on skill. he also is DU's best facoff guy and top defensive center. i think he has a leg up on most smaller ncaa scorers in that he is so well rounded. if he sticks to it and plays hard through a couple of years in the ahl - there is no reason why not. gabe is as good a hockey player if not better than pettinger and rycroft, and those guys have made it. its a matter of him signing with a team that has room for him to develop. no reason why he cant be a solid third line center in the nhl. his game has no holes, and his size imo can be overcome.

ps, i would be shocked if a team didnt sign luke fulghum while we're at it. he has developed into a pretty solid power player - and his shot/skills have improved to the point of being pro level. he plays with a ton of heart - i hope the canes make an effort to get one of these guys on the team.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
bleedgreen said:
personally, i think the whole age thing is overated - being a late bloomer just means you will have to work harder....which gabe does. it depends more on whether or not he will stick with it and keep working hard until he does make it.
Generally speaking...and Gauthier might be an exception and not the rule.

Guys that are 5'9, 185 when they are 20-21 and have their first break out year become far more of a longshot than a guy like TJ Hensick who do the same thing at 18.

Not saying it is impossible but very unlikely. People like to use the Marty St. Louis parallel for the little guy succeeding. When Marty was Gauthier's age he was scoring 85 points in 35 games at the University of Vermont.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I'd also argue that college hockey was a bit more offensive minded when St. Louis as in college...Gauthier will probably be an AHLer for most of his career and be a once in a while call up i would think, he'd have to improve a bit more to be a regular

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Rabid Husky said:
I'd also argue that college hockey was a bit more offensive minded when St. Louis as in college...Gauthier will probably be an AHLer for most of his career and be a once in a while call up i would think, he'd have to improve a bit more to be a regular
Gaut would have had higher stats if he weren't on such a balanced team as well. I feel like NHL GMs are going back to being size queens for awhile so the 5'9" will turn them off.

I would take a flier on him he might have some NHL upside (if the league starts enforcing the rulebook more so), he looks like an able farm hand as his floor, he's demonstrated clutch scoring, can take draws, play D and might win the Hobey before he's through.

If Colorado does put it's farm team in Loveland they should jump all over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->