G Phileas Lachat - Biel-Bienne, U20-Elit (2024 Draft)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Part of the group of big, athletic Swiss 06 born goalies. Probably even more athletic and mobile than Christian Kirsch and Elijah Neuenschwander. While the other two names have been out there a while now, Lachat is more of a late bloomer, only joining the group of hopefuls this season. At least he wasn't on my radar previously and other goalie prospects of that strong 06 year were looking far more likely to work out. I don't know if he's gonna be better than Kirsch and Neuenschwander but he does look a bit more mature. He's been more consistent in international games than Kirsch as well.

Prior to this season, he was in a tough spot. With 04 born Alessio Beglieri returning from the OHL and 05 born Diego Simeoni on the roster as well, Lachat was looking like the third wheel on that Biel U20 Elite team. However, he managed to earn an almost three way split in ice time and got in some games vs men as well while on loan. Beglieri, who kinda redeemed himself with a mighty strong WJC20 tournament was still Biel's starter heading into the playoffs. However, Lachat got his chance, ate Beglieri's lunch and backstopped Biel into the final. Yesterday, he got himself a 25 save shutout in game 1 of the two game playoff final series vs a completely overpowered Zug team that dominated the regular season (Biel only finished 4th). Game 2 is gonna be today and I wonder if Biel is gonna play Lachat back to back trying to secure the championship.

With the Swiss WJC18 camp starting Tuesday, this final is also an important showcase not just for Lachat but also for Christian Kirsch in Zug's net. 1-0 Lachat I guess but Elijah Neuenschwander, who had a strong back half of the season in his own right, might be pushing for starts as well despite being a late birthday. Should Lachat get WJC18 playing time and do well I think he's definitely gonna get drafted. In most other years he'd be Switzerland's clear cut WJC18 starter but this year, one of him, Kirsch and Neuenschwander may not play much or even not at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad