G Ondrej Pavelec: Why I'm Both Excited and Scared

Sunshine36616

Pavelec doesn't historically do as well on back-to-backs
Pavelec doesn't historically do as well on weekends
Pavelec doesn't historically do as well on away games
Our great December record appears to be strongly influenced by Pavelec playing superiorly for a month

Well, as long as he plays in the single games that are in the middle of the week at home...the team is golden!:laugh:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
...but they did and they certainly weren't the worst.

Our D was not that good last year because of the injuries. This year with short season the pressure will be on but I think they can play better defense as a team. And also we need a good defense shutdown unit(we would really use top of the line shutdown guy) and last year our 3 and 4 lines were all over the place we could use a 3 line that is in your face and plays hard.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Our D was not that good last year because of the injuries. This year with short season the pressure will be on but I think they can play better defense as a team. And also we need a good defense shutdown unit(we would really use top of the line shutdown guy) and last year our 3 and 4 lines were all over the place we could use a 3 line that is in your face and plays hard.

Not disagreeing with that, but most would agree that teams like Columbus and Edmonton were worse and they had goalies with better save percentages. The defense excuse only stretches so far.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
What does that mean? And also on the drinking and driving crap he is young and rich, I think he has learned his lesson.

It's well known that he doesn't come into camp in shape. He just looks a little worse this year, but we'll see what happens when he hits the ice.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He was the 2nd heaviest goalie in the league last year. Think he is going for the #1 spot?

Well he probably wants to be #1 in something, can't even be #1 regarding DUIs! :sarcasm:

Edit: In all seriousness I have an odd inkling that Pavy will come out of the gate strong this season. He's been playing in europe and is not coming in cold, and in all likeliness is coming into the season better conditioned than all of his previous NHL years.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
It's well known that he doesn't come into camp in shape. He just looks a little worse this year, but we'll see what happens when he hits the ice.

I did not know that, maybe playing in Winnipeg, a Canadian hockey market, he will think twice about not being in shape for the start of training camp.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Not disagreeing with that, but most would agree that teams like Columbus and Edmonton were worse and they had goalies with better save percentages. The defense excuse only stretches so far.

I think one of the reasons could that when he was in Atlanta, they were so unorganized and they replaced their coaches every 2 years. And then they had to adjust to a new hockey market(where the fans are really knowledge able and they love hockey). I think it will take this season for everyone to get comfortable with coaches and everything. Last year was their first year and they did not know what to expect.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Goalie Guild came out with their NHL depth charts for each team:

We got a D- which is lowest grade tied with NJD.

Pavelec has a juicy contract to uphold and he’s coming off a rough go in Europe during the lockout, so the pressure is on. I still think he’s on the cusp of being labeled as a truly elite goalie, but he has to display way more consistency. In a condensed schedule, maybe he can stayed focused a little more. Either way, I suspect he’ll play around 34 games, with Montoya soaking up the rest. Keep in mind that Dekanich might get a chance to play a few games if Al is rusty in training camp. Pasquale has had some really strong games in St. John’s lately, and Carrozzi was recalled to the AHL on Tuesday, Jan. 8th. Kasdorf, Hellebuyck, and Phillips are long-term projects.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
So the Rangers score a C- grade with all-world King Henrik and fairly solid Biron? Ah, ya... Didn't read anything after that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
So the Rangers score a C- grade with all-world King Henrik and fairly solid Biron? Ah, ya... Didn't read anything after that.

It's team depth... So it's not NHL exclusive level but top-down level + goalie coaching etc.

He even calls Lundqvist the King.

Team grades reflect the overall value of an NHL organization’s depth chart, from top to bottom. It includes (but is not limited to) elements such as overall goaltending talent, overall depth, the strength of a team’s goalie coaching, the systematic approach to developing goalie prospects, and drafting and/or scouting prowess.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
One thing I've never understood is how people have higher expectations from a player after they sign a contract. They're the exact same player and person.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Bottom line is Pavs CANNOT pitch another season with a save percentage of.906. For this team to be successful, his save percentage should be in the .920 range with a G.A.A in the 2.40 range.

If he were to play 35 games and post a record of 19 - 10 - 6 we'd stand a very good chance of seeing playoff hockey. That would leave Montoya with 13 games in which you would hope he goes at least 6 - 6 - 1.

Would a season of 25 - 16 - 7 potentially get us into the playoffs? What is the minimum amount of points it's likely going to take to qualify?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Bottom line is Pavs CANNOT pitch another season with a save percentage of.906. For this team to be successful, his save percentage should be in the .920 range with a G.A.A in the 2.40 range.

If he were to play 35 games and post a record of 19 - 10 - 6 we'd stand a very good chance of seeing playoff hockey. That would leave Montoya with 13 games in which you would hope he goes at least 6 - 6 - 1.

Would a season of 25 - 16 - 7 potentially get us into the playoffs? What is the minimum amount of points it's likely going to take to qualify?

I'll bet 56 pts pretty much guarantees a spot in the playoffs this year. So, your 25-16-7 would result in a playoff spot.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
After all teams had 48 games played last year the 8th place team in the east had 55 points

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
What's with a lot of teams having two goalie coaches? I didn't really know that was a thing.

Also it really seems to overrate goalie prospects. Having a midling goalie and a solid tender prospect seems to put most teams over having an elite goalie.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
What's with a lot of teams having two goalie coaches? I didn't really know that was a thing.

Also it really seems to overrate goalie prospects. Having a midling goalie and a solid tender prospect seems to put most teams over having an elite goalie.

yah i noticed that too. "history" of the teams drafting/development is also seemingly being considered, regardless of the current state of team goalie depth/prospects.

I'm not upset about us, I would say were in pretty bad shape as far as goal tending goes, just suprised by some other rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad