Confirmed with Link: G Mitchell Gibson, Harvard signed to 1-year- contract

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Apologize in advance if there is already a thread (couldn't find it using a search).

Gibson was signed on April 7th following his senior season but don't see much discussion about him.

With Hunter Shepard backstopping Hershey to the Calder Cup does this mean Gibson is slated for South Carolina or does he have a chance at challenging for time with the Caps or Bears?

$995 K would seem to indicate there is at least some potential and/or interest on the part of the Capitals.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Gibson is likely slated as either the backup in Hershey or, more likely starter for South Carolina in the ECHL. I'd guess that he is 4th or 5th on the Caps goalie depth chart. Kuemper, Lindgren, Shepard, and maybe Stevenson are likely ahead of him.

For the record you used the number $995K, but I'm going to guess that you meant $925K, a number which includes salary, signing bonus and performance bonuses (which he's unlikely to hit unless something crazy happens with the goalies ahead of him.)

Given that he could have become a free agent this summer, they might have included the signing bonus of $92,500 to convince him to sign. I'm sure they see some potential in him (else they might have passed on offering him a deal), but I'll be surprised if he sees the ice in a regular season game in the NHL this season.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'd be shocked if Gibson isn't in a time share with Bjorklund in South Carolina. Clay Stevenson is all but locked into the #2 in Hershey this coming season as the understudy to Shepherd. He performed well in SC and then played lights out in 3 starts in Hershey. Caps really like Bjorklund too and he's a solid prospect who was on a terrible junior team... so if Gibson wants to be the #1 he's going to have to take the job there. This is assuming of course Bjorklund is fully healed up from his back surgery and it doesn't impact his ability.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Gibson is likely slated as either the backup in Hershey or, more likely starter for South Carolina in the ECHL. I'd guess that he is 4th or 5th on the Caps goalie depth chart. Kuemper, Lindgren, Shepard, and maybe Stevenson are likely ahead of him.

For the record you used the number $995K, but I'm going to guess that you meant $925K, a number which includes salary, signing bonus and performance bonuses (which he's unlikely to hit unless something crazy happens with the goalies ahead of him.)

Given that he could have become a free agent this summer, they might have included the signing bonus of $92,500 to convince him to sign. I'm sure they see some potential in him (else they might have passed on offering him a deal), but I'll be surprised if he sees the ice in a regular season game in the NHL this season.

Correct. Typo on my part. Thanks for clarifying that.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
The Caps do have a strong pipeline of 'maybe' guys, between all of the aforementioned ones plus Chase Clark in the NCAA and the just drafted Antoine Keller.

Remains to be seen of any can become NHL contributors, but as Marshall said, they're all welcome in the org.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad