G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As an Islanders fan I really hope Sorokin comes over because hopefully one of him or Soderstrom becomes "the goalie" of our future. But I don't hold it against a player if he rather play closer to home, especially if he can make just as much money playing there. I know if I was a player location of where I play would factor big time into my choice of where I play

I am guessing their is many Swedish and Finnish players that if they could make as much playing in their home countries as they do in the NHL they might take the offer to play at home.

I don't think so.

Take Soccer/Football as an example.

How many of the best Brazilian or Argentine players decide to stay at home in Brazil or Argentina instead of joining the best clubs in the world?

If you have that level of talent for the sport, I think its almost a duty upon yourself to challenge yourself to be the best against the best competition in the world.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
How many of the best Brazilian or Argentine players decide to stay at home in Brazil or Argentina instead of joining the best clubs in the world?

I don't follow soccer much so I could be wrong but isn't it the European league that give out the big contracts, the South American leagues pay pennies to the dollar.

Didn't David Beckham run for the money in the US when his value was worth more to the American league(who basically needed a star attraction so they basically overpaid him to come to North America) then it was in Europe?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't follow soccer much so I could be wrong but isn't it the European league that give out the big contracts, the South American leagues pay pennies to the dollar.

Didn't David Beckham run for the money in the US when his value was worth more to the American league(who basically needed a star attraction so they basically overpaid him to come to North America) then it was in Europe?

Yes, exactly. The European Leagues are the big leagues, the North American, South American, African, Asian Leagues aren't as good as the main European Leagues. Therefore, the best players from those continents join teams in England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, if they are offered a contract.

Its not that they so badly want to live in Manchester, Liverpool, Munich and all kinds of really random European cities, they feel the need to challenge themselves. If you have practiced your whole life to be that good and have made probably tons of sacrifices in becoming that good, I think the overwhelming majority of players can tolerate living in a country they don't want to live in for 10-15 years to challenge themselves in the profession they picked and worked their whole childhood to reach the top of.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yes, exactly. The European Leagues are the big leagues, the North American, South American, African, Asian Leagues aren't as good as the main European Leagues. Therefore, the best players from those continents join teams in England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France, if they are offered a contract.

Its not that they so badly want to live in Manchester, Liverpool, Munich and all kinds of really random European cities, they feel the need to challenge themselves. If you have practiced your whole life to be that good and have made probably tons of sacrifices in becoming that good, I think the overwhelming majority of players can tolerate living in a country they don't want to live in for 10-15 years to challenge themselves in the profession they picked and worked their whole childhood to reach the top of.

Still not a great comparison. If a certain Brazialian can make the same amount in Manchester or playing in Brazil and then the comparison would fit. The KHL pays some(not all) of it's players on par with the NHL and sometimes even better when you factor in the tax situation

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't think so.

If you have that level of talent for the sport, I think its almost a duty upon yourself to challenge yourself to be the best against the best competition in the world.

You can always do it by playing on the national team. Playing in any local league doesn't prove anything. It may provide better competition for the regular season, but it is not comparable to international level.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Also, can you give me a good reason why players should stay in Russia even if they are NHL ready?

Remember how Shipachyov played at the WCH? He was awful.

How about being loyal to your country and it's fans? How about entertaining them instead of foreigners who would crap on you at the first sign of failure unlike on tn their home boys? How about raising the level of competition in your own country instead of helping filling pockets of NA billionaires?

That's because Shipachyov is not that good to begin with.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
When you work so hard your whole life to achieve the highest level of something and you are that close, you aren't gonna be thinking about appeasing fans or owners or anyone like that, whether its fans of your country or another country. You do it for yourself, for your family. You are your own biggest critic, these athletes are all internally motivated. They want to be the best they can be. And as I mentioned, its harder to do so if you are playing regularly against inferior competition. Yeah, it's not impossible for one of the best players in the world to play in the KHL, show up to international tournaments like the WC, WCH, Olympics, and be one of the best players at that tournament, but I think its only normal that a player who is accustomed to playing against inferior players will struggle initially against tougher competition. Everyone struggles to adjust to higher levels of competition. And while some might eventually adjust, some stagnate. Why do you think everyone writes off footballers who go to China? If you are gonna go get fat and relax every week playing against completely inferior competition, who's to say you will even have the desire to keep improving and striving to be as good as you can?

I'm all for a free market though. The NHL doesn't need to monopolize. If the KHL can become a rival to the NHL, it would be good for hockey, but I don't think its really in the interest of any player to stay in the KHL. They work that hard their whole career, and then right before the finish line they decide they don't want to finish the race. For the KHL to be a rival to the NHL, they'll probably need a few players who do decide to play at home instead of trying their hand in the current undisputed best league in the world. Sorokin might decide to do that, but I think you'll probably need some bigger names, Ovechkin or Malkin level talents, like maybe if this Svechnikov kid decided he wasn't going to join NA, although thats already done and dusted. I like the KHL, wouldn't mind it improving its level. I really am not against the KHL taking away some NHL'ers, as long as they aren't players from my team. I'm kind of just hoping for now that Sorokin doesn't convince his buddy to stay in Russia with him.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Realistically, the next couple years should be developmental years for a young goalie anyway. I'm not concerned that he's going to get that

1. in the comfort of his own home
2. in the second best league in the world
3. far away from Islanders goaltending coaches (lets face it, the KHL has a much better track record at developing goalies than the Islanders do)
4. and likely get to play in the olympics

I can deal with the extra (third) year on his contract, it is what it is. Now he's got plenty of opportunity to hone his craft over the next three years in the comfort of his home country. He will be 24/25 when he comes over and that's about typical for a goaltender to break into the NHL.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Also, can you give me a good reason why players should stay in Russia even if they are NHL ready? I don't get how it actually helps Russia's National Team in big competitions.

My point is not that Russian players have to stay in Russia. Rather I am saying that NHL fans tend to believe that Russians are entitled to dedicate themselves to the NHL at every turn. And they often get mad at Russian players when they decide to either extend their stay in Russia or to remain there permanently.

I think this kind of attitude derives out of Westerncentrism, and anxiety that NHL no longer has complete monopoly in this world. Unlike the 1990s in which Russian hockey and society was in a state of utmost misery.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How many NHL teams have had to release an entire roster and farm system?
How many NHL teams have problems paying their players?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

What does that has to do with Sorokin? If CSKA will have this kind of problems it will likely indicate the collapse of the whole Russia or something like that.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

You know there was a league called WHA. It ceased to exist. So what? Such things happen You also have no idea about the Dynamo Moscow situation.

The Coyotes had to be bought out by the league. So what?

Obviously the KHL can't buy out a whole team to keep it operative like the NHL, but that doesn't mean the KHL is in any danger of folding or Dynamo Moscow for that matter.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My point is not that Russian players have to stay in Russia. Rather I am saying that NHL fans tend to believe that Russians are entitled to dedicate themselves to the NHL at every turn. And they often get mad at Russian players when they decide to either extend their stay in Russia or to remain there permanently.

Then, thats dumb, and I agree.

I hate when people see a Russian player re-sign somewhere in Russia, and say something like "typical Russian", as if all Russian players need to be stereotyped.

And I always say, fans are not entitled to have a real say on player decisions with contracts. Its not their lives, its the lives of an athlete they don't know. They need to stay out. Its one thing to react angrily at first out of rage, but at the end of the day, its not their decision, and not their life.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
What does that has to do with Sorokin? If CSKA will have this kind of problems it will likely indicate the collapse of the whole Russia or something like that.

You know there was a league called WHA. It ceased to exist. So what? Such things happen You also have no idea about the Dynamo Moscow situation.

The Coyotes had to be bought out by the league. So what?

Obviously the KHL can't buy out a whole team to keep it operative like the NHL, but that doesn't mean the KHL is in any danger of folding or Dynamo Moscow for that matter.

My point was that job and financial security might be better in the NHL. The rich teams like CSKA can obviously afford the best but it is also part of a league that has struggling franchises as far as finances go. Makes it pretty hard to have parity as well.

As far as Sorokin, I hope he eventually comes to the NHL but I have no problem with a player choosing to play in any league they want. If I were a Russian hockey player and I could make millions playing in my home country I would probably do it as well.

Dec 13, 2010
I don't think so.

At the same time, think about how many players from the Americas stay somewhat local until they're in the prime of their careers, and then decide to go over. Jurgen Damm is a perfect example, Mexican international who is an excellent player at the Liga MX level and has been courted by clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal, PSG, PSV, and Roma since he was young but he's still in Mexico as a 24 year old because he has the sure-bet at home.

It's totally possible that Sorokin comes over, but I wouldn't be surprised if he waits until he's a little older and knows for sure that he's going to be a starter making starter NHL money. It's been mentioned a lot but playing for CSKA is as good as it gets in Europe, realistically probably a better spot to play than a lot of NHL teams.

Also, the Islanders practice on Long Island still. He'd have to live in/near Nassau County, they just bought a brand new facility and I doubt they're going to just abandon/sell it off for something closer to Barclays (since that's in doubt). There are Russian communities on Long Island/in Queens though that would make sense for him if that's his concern.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
My point was that job and financial security might be better in the NHL. The rich teams like CSKA can obviously afford the best but it is also part of a league that has struggling franchises as far as finances go. Makes it pretty hard to have parity as well.

Job and financial security are not a problem if one plays on teams like CSKA and SKA.

The old days where only the NHL could provide a high level of financial security to hockey players is over. We are seeing the result.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Is anyone aware if Shestyokin and Sorokin know each other?

The way they look, it appears that they are in for a great rivalry- Rangers vs. Islanders...

They are probably going to compete for starter role in Olympics, no??...will be fun to watch these two battle it out down the line.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Is anyone aware if Shestyokin and Sorokin know each other?

The way they look, it appears that they are in for a great rivalry- Rangers vs. Islanders...

They are probably going to compete for starter role in Olympics, no??...will be fun to watch these two battle it out down the line.

They are good friends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad