G Colton Point (2016, 128th, DAL)

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Hopefully he stays at Colgate for another year

To give some context about how bad of a team Colgate is, there's no other NHL draft picks on the roster, the leading scorer is a sophomore who had 30 points in 40 games, and nobody else on the team scored over 19 points. Absolutely 0 offensive firepower and very little defensive support.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I would love him to play in Texas next year but a 3rd year at Colgate wouldnt be all that bad. I just hope we dont sign him and Oetter in the same offseason

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Hopefully he stays at Colgate for another year

To give some context about how bad of a team Colgate is, there's no other NHL draft picks on the roster, the leading scorer is a sophomore who had 30 points in 40 games, and nobody else on the team scored over 19 points. Absolutely 0 offensive firepower and very little defensive support.

Hopefully for Colgate? It seems like he doesn't have much to prove there anymore, so wouldn't another year be bad for his development? I'm asking more than I'm telling, I know goalies are voodoo...

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I dont see how one more year would be bad for his development. He only has 1 year as a starter under his belt since he was the backup as a freshman. I want him signed because I want Dallas to move on from the aged, not that good vet, type of thing they keep doing in the AHL because they dont seem to trust their young goalies. However if he stays for a 3rd year in college I wont complain and I really dont think it would hurt his development in the slightest. His numbers are unreal but if you watch him play there are clearly things he needs to improve on and those can be touched up either at Colgate or in Cedar Park.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yet another Stars 5th round pick that could potentially be a steal for them....obviously way too early to tell though. Could just as easily end up being nothing

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Awesome, it would be great if he could become NHL-ready sooner rather than later since Bishop will probably trend down into backup status within a couple of years. No pressure though!:sarcasm:

(Also, I always breathe a sigh of relief when NCAA players sign even though it's a fairly irrational fear since the vast majority of the good ones do sign with the team that drafted them.)

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He should have a good year in the AHL, I imagine him playing 60% of games and 40% going to Landon Bow.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Really happy for him. I'll be watching more AHL hockey for sure this year. Dallas going with a Bow/Point tandem is what I was hoping Ottawa would be doing with Hogberg/Gustavsson.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Sweet.

Between Point and Oettinger, it's nice to see something in the prospect cupboard for the Stars in goal.

Jack Campbell was an unmitigated flop, so perhaps the scouts have learned from their mistake.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is he considered a bust at this juncture by Stars fans? I guess you can't be too much of a bust when picked 128th, but he had two good seasons in the NCAA, made the Canadian WJC team, and has struggled since. I suspect he was always only an alternative to Oettinger, so it doesn't matter that much, but what's happened to this guy the past two seasons? Can he be as bad as his stats indicate?

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
It looks that way - 2 seasons in the ECHL and still a sub .900 save% doesn't bode well. Stars should probably trade him to the Kings ASAP so they can work their goalie voodoo and resurrect yet another one.

Trade to the Kings? For what? He is barely worth anything.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Trade to the Kings? For what? He is barely worth anything.

When I said "trade", I mostly meant "give", so future considerations is perfectly fine. Just do it as a favor to the kid so he can have one last shot at making it at the pro level. LA resurrected Campbell, maybe they can do the same for Point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad