G Carter Hart (2016, 48th, PHI)

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Why would Hart need to go to the ECHL He has nothing to learn there.

The jump from the CHL to the pro game is massive. Especially for a goalie, since his adjustment will lead directly to goals against. You can't shelter a goalie like you could a forward or defenseman.

I think there's a good chance he skips the ECHL altogether, but if he happens to spend time there it's no knock against him. It could help him adjust to the pro game and help his development. Braden Holtby played 12 games in the ECHL his first pro season, and I think he turned out alright.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
The jump from the CHL to the pro game is massive. Especially for a goalie, since his adjustment will lead directly to goals against. You can't shelter a goalie like you could a forward or defenseman.

I think there's a good chance he skips the ECHL altogether, but if he happens to spend time there it's no knock against him. It could help him adjust to the pro game and help his development. Braden Holtby played 12 games in the ECHL his first pro season, and I think he turned out alright.

Yeah, and the Flyers have Stolarz and Lyon, both on expiring contracts though but they should be re-signed, in the AHL. Having Hart start 80% of the games in the ECHL might be a better option than splitting, or less, in the AHL.
Not sure though, I'd guess he'll be in the AHL.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I don't mean to be snarky but show your work. You make a bunch of broad sweeping statements here that you don't back with any facts. Let me help you out with a few off the top of my head:

Your own team lacks a credible starter and can't 'easily' trade for one.
Edmonton lacks a backup
Arizona lacks a backup and it ruined their year right away.
NYI lacks a starter and can't 'easily' trade for one.
Carolina lacks a credible starter and it almost destroyed their entire season
Chicago can't weather the injury to their starter.
Vancouver lacks a credible starter amd can't easily trade for one
Florida has no goalie of the future
Boston has no goalie of the future
Minnesota has no goalie of the future

A team of Neuvirth and Elliott would be sufficient on a contender. The Flyers could easily acquire a goaltender with futures or prospects.

Several of the teams you listed have bigger issues to address before goaltending.

I think you overestimate goalie effect on team success. A star goalie is beneficial, but not necessary to success.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

I think you Flyers fans have Stockholm Syndrome from years and years of terrible goalies. You may be the only fan base actually undervaluing (and substantially so) your best prospect. Hart is an absolute stud. He is easily ready for the AHL. The only question I have is will he be the starter out of the gates.

Outsiders opinion.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
A team of Neuvirth and Elliott would be sufficient on a contender. The Flyers could easily acquire a goaltender with futures or prospects.

Several of the teams you listed have bigger issues to address before goaltending.

I think you overestimate goalie effect on team success. A star goalie is beneficial, but not necessary to success.

Neuvirth and Elliott is not sufficient on a contender. It's crap frankly. But you guys have been defending your terrible goalies for years, so not surprising you would feel that way. What starting goalie can you easily acquire?

Anyways we are off track. Hart is a stud. Full stop.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I'm sure there are teams out there who would give you a starter for Hart. I'm still pissed the Oilers didn't draft him.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I'm sure there are teams out there who would give you a starter for Hart. I'm still pissed the Oilers didn't draft him.

Yep. Hart's a beauty. Wanted him (or Clague - on record) at 31 for Toronto. We picked Korshkov instead who may pan out, but Hart seemed appropriate given our need at the prospect level.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I think you Flyers fans have Stockholm Syndrome from years and years of terrible goalies. You may be the only fan base actually undervaluing (and substantially so) your best prospect. Hart is an absolute stud. He is easily ready for the AHL. The only question I have is will he be the starter out of the gates.

Outsiders opinion.

Look at my username, I'm not a Flyers fan.

Nor am I undervaluing Hart at all. I absolutely love the kid, he's by far the best goalie prospect in the game and I can't wait to see him in the NHL. But him spending a month or two in the ECHL to get used to the pro game is not the end of the world. Certain fans might be undervaluing Hart, but I think some are guilty of undervaluing the AHL and how much stronger a league it is than the WHL. Hart's gonna go from facing teenagers to facing grown men, many with NHL experience.

He's so good though, I think there's about an 80% chance he skips the ECHL altogether, so we don't disagree on that.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Neuvirth and Elliott is not sufficient on a contender. It's crap frankly. But you guys have been defending your terrible goalies for years, so not surprising you would feel that way. What starting goalie can you easily acquire?

Anyways we are off track. Hart is a stud. Full stop.

... Do some research.

Elliott and Neuvirth have been above average at ES. They'd probably be able to win a Cup as a tandem on a contending team.

Off the top of my head, goalies acquired via trade in the past 5 or so years:

Jones
Andersen
Talbot
Smith
Bishop
Bobrovsky
Mason
Lehner
Dubnyk
Schneider

Look at the costs to acquire these players. Now, look at the assets the Flyers control in prospects and futures.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013

Outsiders opinion.

Much more interested in skaters like Frost and Myers as prospects.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
... Do some research.

Elliott and Neuvirth have been above average at ES. They'd probably be able to win a Cup as a tandem on a contending team.

Off the top of my head, goalies acquired via trade in the past 5 or so years:

Jones
Andersen
Talbot
Smith
Bishop
Bobrovsky
Mason
Lehner
Dubnyk
Schneider

Look at the costs to acquire these players. Now, look at the assets the Flyers control in prospects and futures.

I did not ask which goalies have been traded. I'm asking you which are available now? This should be easy right?

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I did not ask which goalies have been traded. I'm asking you which are available now? This should be easy right?

Dunno, don't care to look. Lehner's probably available. I've heard Dell. Whatever goalie becomes available, I don't see the Flyers having much issue acquiring them.

As an outsider, I am not at all. Hart all the way.

Not surprising. Probably don't follow the Phantoms or Greyhounds that much.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Outsiders opinion.

I think many of us have an anti-Stockholm Syndrome; we have been jilted by so many that we will expect the worst until Georges Vezina is between the pipes. How many goalies have looked like world beaters -- or actually beat the world? -- and then disappeared when they advanced to the next level? Even St. Carey of Price struggled upon entering the league. I remember the raging controversy over the Canadiens dealing Halak instead of Price, despite Halak hauling the Habs into the Conference Finals the season before.

I am grateful to have one of the top G prospects in the Flyers fold, and that he isn't the only quality young goaltender coming up through the ranks. Quantity and quality nearly always trumps putting all your chips on one thoroughbred.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I think many of us have an anti-Stockholm Syndrome; we have been jilted by so many that we will expect the worst until Georges Vezina is between the pipes. How many goalies have looked like world beaters -- or actually beat the world? -- and then disappeared when they advanced to the next level? Even St. Carey of Price struggled upon entering the league. I remember the raging controversy over the Canadiens dealing Halak instead of Price, despite Halak hauling the Habs into the Conference Finals the season before.

I am grateful to have one of the top G prospects in the Flyers fold, and that he isn't the only quality young goaltender coming up through the ranks. Quantity and quality nearly always trumps putting all your chips on one thoroughbred.

Lovely stuff. Flyers goalies were front and center in my earliest hockey memories. Parent was forced to retire the year I started watching hockey. Peeters, Lindbergh, Froese, and Hextall.

For the first time in a very, very long time it look like things are turning a corner.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia

Don't worry, I've been told that Maxime Ouellet is the next Patrick Roy!

Reactions: captainpaxil

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Another game, another 1 goal against night.

Has 1 loss in his last 17 games....a game where he allowed 2 goals on 50 shots.

Has only had 3 games all year where his SV% was worse than .917 in a game.

Stud!
Stud indeed!

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
What a bluechip goalie prospect. Now we'll have to see how his game translates to the AHL as nothing is sure yet, especially for goalies. But everything seems to indicate he's gonna be a NHLer and most likely a no.1 goalie someday. Let's pray for the flyers for him to pan out or not trade him as a prospect lol

Reactions: Devonator

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Watched him tonight in Everett's 3-2 shootout loss to Seattle. The only goal he let in during the shootout was from Austin Strand opening him up with lateral movement before shooting it 5-hole.

I wouldn't blame him for either of his goals he allowed. One was just a scrum in front of the net on the penalty kill. The other was a one-timer he didn't have time to adjust for. He has very good composure and very strong rebound control. I'm envious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad