G Carter Hart (2016, 48th, PHI)

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I just noticed this 16-year-old kid has appeared in and played well in some games on one of the better defensive teams in the league in Everett. Just wondering where people think he might go in the 2016 draft. Any chance he's the first goaltender taken?

Reactions: Curufinwe

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
I just noticed this 16-year-old kid has appeared in and played well in some games on one of the better defensive teams in the league in Everett. Just wondering where people think he might go in the 2016 draft. Any chance he's the first goaltender taken?

sawchenko is probably ahead of him in the whl, along with fitzpatrick from the qmjhl may go ahead of him.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

While I won't speculate on where he will go in the draft, I will say he's really caught my eye this year especially considering his age relative to the draft class. Has a lot going for him, but will need to continue to show growth and production with his draft year being so far out yet.

From my recent 2016 thoughts on my blog:

Carter Hart – G – Everett Silvertips – A long and skinny goalie who plays with good technical abilities, learning from one of the better goalies in the WHL (Austin Lotz) in Everett. He’s sure to be one of the younger 98’s in his draft class, being born just a month shy of the mid-September cutoff date.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
What a game by the kid yesterday. He made 45 of 46 saves in an OT win last night.

He's now 2-1 in the playoffs, with a .935 sv% and a 1.96 GAA. He's started all games for the Silvertips and outside of game #2 where he got yanked early, he's look calm, collected and very good.

Anyone else excited to see this guys development? Do you think he can lead the Tips on a deep playoff run?

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I was at the game last night (Go Chiefs!) and he was outstanding. The Chiefs have a tendency to go for a long stretch with few shots on goal and then throw 5-10 on the net within a couple of minutes. He was able the weather that and made some really great saves. The Tips won in double OT but the Chiefs were fully dominating through both OTs. Hart was the player that won the game for them. Selfishly hoping he won't be playing on Friday but if he is I'm looking forward to seeing him again.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Still nobody talking about this kid?

53 svs and 1 goal against as he leads Everett to a 2-1 OT win, and series win, in game 6 over Spokane.

He made 16 saves in the 3rd period and was unbelieveable all night.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Still nobody talking about this kid?

53 svs and 1 goal against as he leads Everett to a 2-1 OT win, and series win, in game 6 over Spokane.

He made 16 saves in the 3rd period and was unbelieveable all night.

People are taking notice. Don't you worry! Could he give Sawchenko a run for top 2016 WHL Goalie? Has he already passed him?

arsmaster*

People are taking notice. Don't you worry! Could he give Sawchenko a run for top 2016 WHL Goalie? Has he already passed him?

I flipped on the OT and 3rd period last night, and wow, he's the next big WHL goalie IMO.

I don't particularly know what I'm looking for when looking at goalies, but this guy seems to have "it".

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He is a SERIOUS talent. BUT I think size will hold him back for the future, he's only 6'0" and 165 lbs. And he plays pretty small in the net at times. Though his positioning and anticipating the play are top notch NHL level. I see a lot of Jhonas Enroth in his game.

I don't think Sawchenko should be the top goaler for 2016 either. I think there is some high undervaluation of Sarthou, but understandable since he plays behind Comrie and hasn't gotten a good look by a lot of WHL followers IMO. He has the size and athleticism to be my top goaler for 2016, and FYI, he was just named to USA's U18 team as well.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Kid has some great numbers and seem to have taken over the starting position from Lotz in the playoffs. Pretty impressive. Hopefully the kid can grow a bit size-wise.

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
1.98 GAA and a .933 save percentage so far this year. Very impressive numbers for a goalie his age. Is he the best goalie prospect available for this draft?

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
1.98 GAA and a .933 save percentage so far this year. Very impressive numbers for a goalie his age. Is he the best goalie prospect available for this draft?

He's definitely emerged as the top draft eligible WHL goalie imo. Ahead of Sarthou, Sawchenko, and Skinner (if you want to include him). His playoff run last year was magical, and he's been even better this year. He really has it all for a goalie: confidence, quick reflexes, puck tracking, good lateral movement, and good rebound control. He's 6'1, which I don't think is too small for an NHL goalie. I haven't really seen any of the other draft eligible goalies but I think he's a 1st rd talent who will go very early. (20-50 range)

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Picked up 2 wins over the weekend allowing only 1 goal in total. He already has 6 shutouts on the season, and he only has 6 losses. In a year where I feel some of the expected top WHL prospects haven't taken the next step, Carter Hart really has. I honestly think he may be the best goalie in the WHL, and deserves a shot at the WJ team. How long until he starts getting first round consideration? I wrote a scouting report a couple weeks ago for those interested.

Technically this isn’t my early impressions. Carter Hart actually came onto my radar during a splendid run to end to the season last year and his play during the subsequent playoffs. This year, he has followed up a great playoff run and has been nothing short of amazing. To preface, Hart is a very intriguing goaltending prospect, even to the duller goalie scouting eyes.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Picked up 2 wins over the weekend allowing only 1 goal in total. He already has 6 shutouts on the season, and he only has 6 losses. In a year where I feel some of the expected top WHL prospects haven't taken the next step, Carter Hart really has. I honestly think he may be the best goalie in the WHL, and deserves a shot at the WJ team. How long until he starts getting first round consideration? I wrote a scouting report a couple weeks ago for those interested.

He's the best goalie in the CHL not just WHL right now and has a good chance to be a 1st rounder.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If he's legit, I would hope if Leafs get a 3rd 1st rounder or if Hart slips to the early 2nd that he would be in play. To veteran WHL watchers how does he compare to guys like Cam Ward, Holtby, Price, Dubnyk or other top goalies from recent years?

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
There's really no other goalie to take right now then Carter Hart. Getting the chance to watch him and look at his stats(deeper look then just what you see on the WHL.ca page). Among 2016 draft eligible goalies no one bounces back better then Hart does. He's also the best goalie in close games. Only Cody Porter comes close to being as good as Hart among 2016 draft eligible goalies in close games and is still off by a fair amount. What I also found was interesting was that in games Hart loses, his team only scores ~1 goal. His margin of error is slim yet he wins games still. Also I thought it was funny that Hart's Goal Support in Wins is actually lower the Tyler Parson's Goal Support in Loses.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Carter Hart's numbers and career trajectory are eerily similar to former Everett Silvertips goaltender Leland Irving. Let's hope Hart's career pans out differently.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Any opinions on where he will go in the draft? I am guessing early 2nd round. Might be a good pick for the Leafs with our lack of goalie depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->