G Aleksandar Georgiev (2014 undrafted; UFA signed by NYR)

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
He wouldn't be eligible to represent Bulgaria even if he wanted to, he never played there.

Only Russia or Finland.

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
He wouldn't be eligible to represent Bulgaria even if he wanted to, he never played there.

Only Russia or Finland.

Wouldn't he be stuck with Russia now? I thought you were allowed to only switch nations with the IIHF once in your career. I know that Nigel Dawes probably would have been a lock to represent Canada @ the Olympics except he moved to Kazakhstan, got residency there and represented Kazakhstan at the WHC.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Bulgaria is a country where he was born and lived the first half of year of his life, so it wasn't an option to play for Bulgaria by IIHF rules anyway, unless he wanted to play hockey for couple of years there. And obviously it isn't an option now after he had played for Russia at the WJC, unless he goes into Kasparaitis mode at the end of his career, of course.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Earned his third start in a row. will be playing tomorrow against the Blues. Starting 3 games in a row is pretty big, especially with Lundqvist fully healthy. (purely speculation) there does seem to be some beef between AV and Lundqvist

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Got to see Georgiev against the pens and Blues and what impressed me most about the kid was his confidence and patience to stay on his feet.

Had a really nice save on a Tarasenko wrister that was labeled for top shelf glove side. It probably would have scored if he had gone down, but Georgiev stayed on his blades and calmly made a really nice save. I’ve noticed him making similar plays a couple times now (staying up on his skates when many/most goalies would have dropped early), very impressive couple games!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
^^^incredible patience there. Georgiev made that look easy, but 9/10 goalies would have gone down early on that shot and gotten beat high glove.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Geo is so calm. Covers all the angles, doesn't let in many bad goals. Not the biggest or most athletic, but he should have a good NHL career, whether its as a starter or back up.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY

mentions in the interview posted above he went to a foreign language school when he was 10. Pretty impressed with his English. With Pavelec a UFA this year, is there a chance he wins the backup position for next year?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

mentions in the interview posted above he went to a foreign language school when he was 10. Pretty impressed with his English. With Pavelec a UFA this year, is there a chance he wins the backup position for next year?

Yeah I was surprised how good his English is the first time I heard him on an interview. He has a sort of odd rhythm to his sentences but in terms of content he speaks very well imo.

I'd think there's a good chance he'll be backup next year. I'm sure he'll get a shot to earn it out of camp and I think he's as good as Pavelec already if not better. Only possible hurdle, sort of ironically, is that he's still young and promising enough that it may be better to play regularly in the A. Hard to say though, if he keeps this up I'm not sure what more he can learn down there.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

I imagine it's looking favorable, but there are no guarantees. They will probably bring on a vet in camp to give him competition and push himself.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Yeah I was surprised how good his English is the first time I heard him on an interview. He has a sort of odd rhythm to his sentences but in terms of content he speaks very well imo.

I'd think there's a good chance he'll be backup next year. I'm sure he'll get a shot to earn it out of camp and I think he's as good as Pavelec already if not better. Only possible hurdle, sort of ironically, is that he's still young and promising enough that it may be better to play regularly in the A. Hard to say though, if he keeps this up I'm not sure what more he can learn down there.

Trust me hes better than Pavelec already, coming from a Jets fan.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He should be at the World Championships. It would be pretty cool to see Georgiyev and Shestyorkin on the same World Championship team.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Throwing the team on his back like his Hartford days. Astonishing. Great performance.

:clap:

Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad