NCAA: Future Power 5 programs

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Big 12 still has some shoes to fill. Cincinnati seems like a no-brainer and would give WVU a somewhat close opponent. The other shoe has been rumored to be Houston but now with coach Herman leaving for Texas, that might be put on hold.

Who would be good candidates for not just the Big 12, but other conferences because we all know it's going to happen. Would schools like Colorado State, New Mexico, UConn (good basketball program if nothing else), San Diego State, and Nevada be at least in consideration to make the jump?

Could a school like Tulane (AAU, in New Orleans, potential yearly matchup with LSU) be in the discussion should they improve their program?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'd like some more schools in the Pac-12. Maybe Colorado Sate and Nevada? I don't want them becoming any bigger than the Pac-14 unless another conference gains more teams as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nevada has been considering going independent though. Don't know what kind of appeal there is for that.

To make that kind of jump though, these schools should be showing that they can run at a high level for multiple years in a row. Boise State has done this. San Diego State has been consistent, but I don't recall the last time they were ranked or anything. But they have a market in their favor.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Nevada has been considering going independent though. Don't know what kind of appeal there is for that.

To make that kind of jump though, these schools should be showing that they can run at a high level for multiple years in a row. Boise State has done this. San Diego State has been consistent, but I don't recall the last time they were ranked or anything. But they have a market in their favor.

SDST also has the advantage of having a strong basketball track record. Decent but not great in football and strong in basketball would be a good add for the money making sports. They were ranked in football a couple times this season (in the 20-25 range) although each time promptly lost to fall out of the rankings.

New Mexico would be an interesting team to consider in that they do have a history of being decent in both sports, although the current state may not be strong enough. Still, it would expand the footprint (for either Pac-12 or Big 12) if they desired that.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Nevada gains nothing going independent

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
UCF has the 2nd largest enrollment in the country, Orlando is a top 15 media market and the facilities are better than some P5 schools already.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nevada gains nothing going independent

Hasn't stopped them. They've been talking to NBC.

UCF was one of those teams in the mix when the Big <12 was looking to expand. It helps them more than anyone else because the other conferences aren't looking for more of a presence in Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad