WC: Future of Slovak Hockey

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
I understand that Czechia and Slovakia are different countries with different cultures , and that there's an intense amount of pride in both the Czech and Slovak players that play for their respective countries, but if either nation is to return to true glory on the international stage, I feel like combining both nations into one team for international tournaments is the best hope for a return to prominence.

As it stands right now, neither SLO or CZE federations are strong enough to compete with the development of RUS, SWE, or even FIN. But combined? I think a united Czech/Slovak team would be legit contenders at most international tournaments.

How so? Not a single player from this years' Slovak team would benefit the Czech roster in a significant way. And even if we are talking about the best players, there's almost no one who would make a huge impact. And by the way, looking at recent years at U18/U20 level, Czechs seem to compete just fine.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
They have two really good players in Hamsik and Kucka, but I don't see more than that.

Then you follow Slovak soccer only very briefly.

As it stands right now, neither SLO or CZE federations are strong enough to compete with the development of RUS, SWE, or even FIN. But combined? I think a united Czech/Slovak team would be legit contenders at most international tournaments.

Bad idea. That times are definitely gone. Forget about it. It would never work. Can you imagine how many hateful comments will every team produce?
Czechs will argue, what are doing some under skilled players in the team. Slovak people will always cry for more Slovak players. More. And more. give me mooooore. And so on.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I understand that Czechia and Slovakia are different countries with different cultures , and that there's an intense amount of pride in both the Czech and Slovak players that play for their respective countries, but if either nation is to return to true glory on the international stage, I feel like combining both nations into one team for international tournaments is the best hope for a return to prominence.

No. Why would two different nations combine into one just for the sake of "being better". Czechoslovakia is no more.
Plus I am an optimist regarding Czech/Slovak future. It will take some time though.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
No. Why would two different nations combine into one just for the sake of "being better". Czechoslovakia is no more.
Plus I am an optimist regarding Czech/Slovak future. It will take some time though.
I agree that those times are over and will probably not happen, but at the same time the two populations seem to be both friendly to eachother and share quite a bit in common. It would probably be a bit like Great Britain fielding a soccer team together, even though at the present time that option is most probably different legally speaking. There would not be that many slovaks on the team, but to claim it would not provide greater depth is probably bordering to choosing to be ludicrous.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I agree that those times are over and will probably not happen, but at the same time the two populations seem to be both friendly to eachother and share quite a bit in common. It would probably be a bit like Great Britain fielding a soccer team together, even though at the present time that option is most probably different legally speaking. There would not be that many slovaks on the team, but to claim it would not provide greater depth is probably bordering to choosing to be ludicrous.

There are two pages with this opinion. One would probably expect more sofisticated discussion here than suggesting put two nations into one team. This is like duscussing from which side to peel banana. Interesting logic but completely useless.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
There are two pages with this opinion. One would probably expect more sofisticated discussion here than suggesting put two nations into one team. This is like duscussing from which side to peel banana. Interesting logic but completely useless.
How is Great Britain not even thought provoking in this case?

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
I just don't see the point in this discussion. As I wrote before, Slovak team would bring almost no benefit to the Czech team. Slovaks would just cry for more players and Czechs would not want to have a common team, because it just doesn't make any sense.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
How is Great Britain not even thought provoking in this case?

Being one Kingdom and two seperate republics with presidents is hell of difference. I can imagine that, hypothetically, it would be possible to have two seperate national teams when Czechoslovakia existed (based on United Kingdom case). But not one team when you have two separate countries. No one will even accept it as precedent.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Being one Kingdom and two seperate republics with presidents is hell of difference. I can imagine that, hypothetically, it would be possible to have two seperate national teams when Czechoslovakia existed (based on United Kingdom case). But not one team when you have two separate countries. No one will even accept it as precedent.
Yeah, but you know, Great Britain DO have a unified team in hockey. It is not impossible, but i am fully aware that it is not up to me to decide as some random swedish guy. As i alluded to earlier it also would demand some politics, although when it comes to the World Cup Bettman would possibly not be that hard to convince considering his stance with Team Europe and the U24 team, and no politics would have to get involved(Excluding some possible pressure the two hockey associtions could get from their respective governments).

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Some (in my humble opinion) more interesting news for the future of Slovak hockey than tabloid feuds and theoretical discussion of a Czechoslovak NT:

- following the agreement with the Canadian federation and the Oilers that the Ivan Hlinka Memorial will take place in Edmonton every second year, the U18 Slovak will be traveling to Canada and preparing there. Several coaches, hockey experts and people from the federation will also travel to Canada for education purposes

- there will be a smilar cooperation with the Finnish federation, in July 4 Slovak coaches will travel to Finland and former NT player Martin Strbak will spend 3 years studying as a hockey expert there

- the various Slovak NTs will take part in the pre-season camps together with the various Finnish NTs

http://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/cla...pravne-zapasy-a-spolupraca-s-kanadou-ci-finmi

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Some (in my humble opinion) more interesting news for the future of Slovak hockey than tabloid feuds and theoretical discussion of a Czechoslovak NT:

- following the agreement with the Canadian federation and the Oilers that the Ivan Hlinka Memorial will take place in Edmonton every second year, the U18 Slovak will be traveling to Canada and preparing there. Several coaches, hockey experts and people from the federation will also travel to Canada for education purposes

- there will be a smilar cooperation with the Finnish federation, in July 4 Slovak coaches will travel to Finland and former NT player Martin Strbak will spend 3 years studying as a hockey expert there

- the various Slovak NTs will take part in the pre-season camps together with the various Finnish NTs

http://www.hockeyslovakia.sk/sk/cla...pravne-zapasy-a-spolupraca-s-kanadou-ci-finmi

That's definitely a step in the right direction, I was glad to hear that.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Wow. Pretty interesting news. But im surprised, why do Finns invite Slovaks to participate? Because, hey, it is still about winning. Why should i teach my opponent, ho to beat me?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Wow. Pretty interesting news. But im surprised, why do Finns invite Slovaks to participate? Because, hey, it is still about winning. Why should i teach my opponent, ho to beat me?

Hockey is a relatively small sport which can't afford to lose some hockey programs. It is all about competition and perhaps the Finns want to have more of it than just the very few teams all the time.

DEMON01

May 7, 2017
KE, SVK
Slovakia won't see their glory days of their 70's generation again anytime soon, but I think they are slowly turning things around now. While they aren't scaring the "big 6" in a best on best anymore, they should continue to have an outside chance at bronze medals at the World Championships.

While not all of their prospects will pan out in the NHL, many of them should carve out nice careers for themselves in Europe and be useful for the Slovak national team. Their crops of players born in the 90's should be stronger than the 80's generation, at least depth wise.

Forwards:
Tatar
Panik
Dano
Jurco
Cehlarik
Reway
Viedensky
Bondra
Ruzicka
Bucek
Roman
Hrivik
Hudacek

Defensemen:
Jaros
Marincin
Cernak
Gernat
Fehervary
Bodak
Holenda
Rosandic

Goalies:
Tomek
Huska
Godla

As I'm not Slovak I might have missed someone. But I think this group of 90's players should let Slovakia maintain their position as the 7th-8th best hockey country. While Andrej Sekera is getting older, I think he could have many good years left in him still. The WC of 2019 is taking place in Slovakia. I think they will ice a pretty solid team then. With a good system in place, and a couple of lucky bounces, maybe they can challenge for a medal then.

That's a pretty exhaustive list. Very impressive, moreso considering you're not Slovak.

I'd add Samuel Takac (F), Marek Ciliak (G), both of whom will probably get some NT experience under their belt in the upcoming season,
as well as Ceresnak and Cajkovsky (both D) from this year's WCH.

Also Janus (G), while being born in 1989, will probably get a few more WCHs under his belt.

Though I'm not too sure about Holenda, unless he can secure a move abroad. Is he any better than, say, Lukas Kozak?

I'd love to see some more additions to the list - players to keep an eye out for, that can become the pillars of our hockey in the near future.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I remember a time when they were supposed to be on the cusp of being one of the top 7 hockey nations. That didn't happen and it looks like they're taking a step back. Be interesting to see if they can put it back together.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The draft was a letdown for Slovakia, unfortunately.

Ruzicka who was projected in the 1st or 2nd round before the season, fell to the 4th round. Bucek was projected to go quite early as well, but was injured for much of the season and didn't get drafted at all. Also, I was surprised Bodak wasn't drafted.

Though I think both Bodak and Bucek should have a decent shot next year, even if they'll be a year older.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The draft was a letdown for Slovakia, unfortunately.

Ruzicka who was projected in the 1st or 2nd round before the season, fell to the 4th round. Bucek was projected to go quite early as well, but was injured for much of the season and didn't get drafted at all. Also, I was surprised Bodak wasn't drafted.

Though I think both Bodak and Bucek should have a decent shot next year, even if they'll be a year older.

Yeah, I was hoping for at least 3 players in the worst case scenario.

But I suppose that this shows that the teams don't find the performance at the u18s that important. Plus most of Slovakia's good performance came from players who will only be eligible next year.

Several of them as well as Hrehorcak and Bodak were drafted in the CHL import draft, so we will see how the transition goes for them.

Bucek was let go by Shawinigan and wasn't picked up by any other CHL team, so one has to wonder whether a return to Europe is in the cards for him.

Martin Fehervary who is probably the top Slovak prospect for the 2018 draft will play next season in the Allsvenskan.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Yeah, I was hoping for at least 3 players in the worst case scenario.

But I suppose that this shows that the teams don't find the performance at the u18s that important. Plus most of Slovakia's good performance came from players who will only be eligible next year.

Several of them as well as Hrehorcak and Bodak were drafted in the CHL import draft, so we will see how the transition goes for them.

Bucek was let go by Shawinigan and wasn't picked up by any other CHL team, so one has to wonder whether a return to Europe is in the cards for him.

Martin Fehervary who is probably the top Slovak prospect for the 2018 draft will play next season in the Allsvenskan.

Bucek is heading to Sweden.

Slovaks lost the credit. If you take some drafted players in the late rounds, you can wonder, why the NHL teams want them. I cant believe, that these guys have more potential as Bucek, Bodak, Hrehorcak ...

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Bucek is heading to Sweden.

Slovaks lost the credit. If you take some drafted players in the late rounds, you can wonder, why the NHL teams want them. I cant believe, that these guys have more potential as Bucek, Bodak, Hrehorcak ...

Yes, I suppose that it is true that when you have two players of the same quality the NHL teams are more likely to select a Swede or a Finn at the moment than picking a Slovak.

And one tournament such as the u18s is not going to change that. Although the WJC 2015

Although I'm still a bit surprised. If the teams did this based on the fact that very few Slovak players made it to the NHL compared to how many were drafted in the mid 2000s, I would understand.

But from the 15 Slovak players drafted between 2009 and 2013 , 6 have played in the NHL so far which isn't such a bad success rate, especially when you look at the fact that all of them (except Cehlarik who is however likely to join the others) have played multiple seasons in the NHL.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If Bodak plays full time (or at least a big part of the season) in Liiga next season, one would think he could get drafted next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad