Speculation: Future of Neal and Perron

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Smith is signed through 2022. I think the issue for Perron is he's made a lot less than Neal so far so he's got to be thinking I need to make this contract really count. Neal's already made close to $30m so the dollars may not mean quite as much, but he won't go cheap. The issue on him is he's really had some hard miles in the NHL and I'd be worried his best hockey is about to be behind him so have to be careful about the term.

I've been assuming Perron gets signed, Neal doesn't because he has the past performance that makes him more likely to get the big money. Perron has never been a sure fire first liner so the concerns we have about paying Karlsson for current performance could apply there. The more that I think of it, maybe neither gets signed. A lot of that will depend on the staff's assessment of the top prospects readiness for next year. Also can't put aside that the team might have to take Bobby Ryan to get EK68. Ryan's been underwhelming in Ottawa for sure, but a line of Haula-Tuch-Ryan seems like a pretty good #2 and could get his numbers back up a bit.

Also tough balancing act for the team considering they do have a couple of guys like Hyka and Pirri who could play a full year on third/fourth lines. Keeping those guys in the minors does the franchise little good. Signing veterans comes with limitations. I think they have already maxed out what they can sustainably keep on the blue line and the forwards now deserve a long hard look at how many spots do they really want to lock up blocking the other possibilities out there.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
I hope they sigh both Neal and Perron. I think Neal set the tone in the early games that the Knights could win hockey games, if not for those early wins, there's no telling what direction this team would've taken.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
If they wanted to sign with us, they would have by now, I fear.

Reading into their interviews is not necessarily foolproof, but I haven’t read much from these two that hints that they want to stay.

They’ll take an overpayment from a Vancouver or market rate from somewhere they desire to play.

If it was me, I’d gauge the market this summer and then ask GMGM to match. Maybe Perron will follow this route. I have more hope for him than Neal.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Felt all along that they would flip Neal for a high pick, and I still wish they had done so. But of course there is room for me to change said opinion in the event Neal goes off in the playoffs. Which is possible.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I see no reason to re-sign Neal. He's going to demand top-line money and term, and we already have a top line. Plus, we have an internal replacement for him in Tatar. Hoping we can trade his UFA rights before July 1.

Perron is a curious one. I know he talked earlier in the season about getting stability and liking the Vegas area, but we can't give him the kind of deal that ties up our cap too much. The fact that the Knights have been so good this season should give McPhee some leverage, and perhaps we can entice Perron to stay by offering a longer term with a smaller cap hit: like $4M per for 4 years. He can slide down from the 2nd to the 3rd line as the years go on, should any of the prospects leapfrog him. The question that remains is whether he's looking to cash in on his terrific season or if he'd like to stay put. I'd prefer to keep him, but I wouldn't be torn up if he left.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Would be nice but no way you take a 4/4 contract. If they give 6 or 7 years maybe you take that AAV, but when Marchy who is younger just got his deal you cant take half the money. I'd be fine if they did 4 or 5 years at $5m per, that's a pretty good deal for the team. Not sure though if his agent would let him do that.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't know if letting both of them go is the wrong move. I don't want us to get enamored with this dream season and all of a sudden in a season or two have a few bad contracts to deal with for a still new franchise.

Reactions: Sir Goose

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
If Vegas goes deep, guarantee they will take a deep discount to stay in LV giving the Knights the luxury to decide if they really want them or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->