Future IIHF World Championships

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Im trying to find out where the next few IIHF WC will be, I want to plan a trip to head out to one of them but I want to head to europe for them.

Is there a site that I can find out where the next few will take place and how far in advance to they name the host cities?

Thanks.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
2008 Canada (Quebec City and Halifax)
2009 Switzerland (Zurich and Berne)
2010 Germany (Mannheim and Cologne)

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
I read in a paper, that Sweden and Finland and 2 more nations are fighting it out for the 2011 games.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
2011 is in Slovakia I think.

Yes, Bratislava and Kosice.

Sweden and Finland get the games soon after that, I think Sweden first because they last hosted games in 2002, Finland in 2003. There has been speculation that Hungary trying to get games but I don't see that very likely until they can get promoted to elite level, even if they stay there just one year. They have been near in some years, this year they were 2nd in their group after Slovenia.

koyo

Aug 12, 2006
I very much look forward to the Championships in Bratislava, since it's my home town! :yo:

Yes, Bratislava and Kosice.

Sweden and Finland get the games soon after that, I think Sweden first because they last hosted games in 2002, Finland in 2003. There has been speculation that Hungary trying to get games but I don't see that very likely until they can get promoted to elite level, even if they stay there just one year. They have been near in some years, this year they were 2nd in their group after Slovenia.

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
So...
2008 Canada
2009 Switzerland
2010 Germany
2011 Slovakia
2012 Sweden
2013 Finland

...probably.

Bryzga lol*

Halifax will be killer. Newfies know how to throw a party.

haha that kinda made me laugh

Nova Scotians party fairly well too (not like Newfies), but most notibly Cape Bretoners (but they're nowhere near Halifax).

Mathies_dane

Feb 19, 2007
Austin, TX
I know they wanna one day host the IHWC in Denmark...If it's only Denmark i don't see it happening this side of 2015 but they could host it in a joint effort with either Malmø or Gothenburg of sweden but first they will need to build the new multi arena in Denmark...

LtnCastillo

Registered Driver
Oct 13, 2006
Helsinski
I know they wanna one day host the IHWC in Denmark...If it's only Denmark i don't see it happening this side of 2015 but they could host it in a joint effort with either Malmø or Gothenburg of sweden but first they will need to build the new multi arena in Denmark...

I'd like to know what is the general arena situation in Denmark at the moment? Where are the biggest/best arenas, what is their capacity etc.? Do they have any plans for building new ones?
Since Denmark has in some sense established itself on the highest level in recent years, they might be candidates for hosting future championships, if they have a decent arena. Joint games with Southern Sweden also sound interesting...

Mathies_dane

Feb 19, 2007
Austin, TX
I'd like to know what is the general arena situation in Denmark at the moment? Where are the biggest/best arenas, what is their capacity etc.? Do they have any plans for building new ones?
Since Denmark has in some sense established itself on the highest level in recent years, they might be candidates for hosting future championships, if they have a decent arena. Joint games with Southern Sweden also sound interesting...

Well the situation is not really good. Curently the biggest arena is in Aalborg with a cap. of 5000. It was finished at the end of the last hockey season in Denmark and could easily be extend to meet the requirements of 10000 seats to host the IHWC. As Jrock pointed out they are building a new arena in Copenhagen. The plans are still on the table and i was uable to find information about how far along they are but it should be ready for use in 2010. The rest of the arenas are old and are really in need of improvement but soon KSF will have a new arena and maybe there will be another large arena build for multi purpose use in that also hockey.

I found out that Denmark actually aplied for the 2012 IHWC but was elimintaed early do to the lack of hockey arenas the remaining candidates are Sweden,Finland and Hungary.

Last edited:

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
2008 Canada
While leafing thru IIHF Statutes and Bylaws for the infamous 204 (when players can change country) i noted an intresting thingy.

Organising country are bound to not hosting any other 'high profile' hockey game during the tournament.

But unless every Canadian team is out of the Stanley Cup playoff there will be NHL playoff games played in Canada during the WC.

Or are they discounted since they are not organised by the Canadian hockey federation?

Jazz

While leafing thru IIHF Statutes and Bylaws for the infamous 204 (when players can change country) i noted an intresting thingy.

Organising country are bound to not hosting any other 'high profile' hockey game during the tournament.

But unless every Canadian team is out of the Stanley Cup playoff there will be NHL playoff games played in Canada during the WC.

Or are they discounted since they are not organised by the Canadian hockey federation?
That would be my guess.....

Mathies_dane

Feb 19, 2007
Austin, TX
I am just gonna re open an old thread to give a short update.

Government in Copenhagen has now green lit the project to build a Multi arena in Copenhagen. With that one set to open in 2013 and the completion of a Multi arena in hockey hot bed Herning in 2010 will mean that Denmark could be able to host the IHWC. Obviously we need to stay in the A group and we might need to make a collaboration bid with Sweden. It's all in the future but look for a IHWC in 2017 in Denmark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad