Future Busts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
NightScout said:
Caps are pretty bad drafters? They only got Ovechkin because they got the first pick (and we'll someday see if they should've picked Malkin) and many have claimed that better options were available when Semin was drafted.

Ridiculous. If Fehr was on Toronto with the exact same stats we'd be having a parade in Toronto. Semin is rated an 8.5 by HF so obviously he must be a bum. Schultz nearly made the Caps out of a strong performance at camp and someone disses him for rumour an innuendo. Sounds like an agenda to me. Malkin will never be anything near Ovechkin. Next!

Fehr I kinda understand, but Pokulok I do not. Better defensemen were drafted in the later rounds.

How do you know? How many times have you seen him? Have you talked to the Caps brass about him? You relying on Eklund on this or your mother's sisters brother. Ignorance abounds...

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
19bruins19 said:
Oshie? I think you'll be wrong.

I still remember thinking "who the hell is Oshie?" when he was drafted. After watching him a couple of time, I came to the realization that the Blues made one hell of a pick, and kudos to the scouts in St. Louis.

That's my bad.

Don't get me wrong Oshie is probably going to turn out to be a good player.
I just meant, that the way so many people around here seem to be hyping him up, he has some major expectations he is going to have to meet.

This kid is not going to be a franchise player. He will be a good player in the league, but he is not the saviour of the Blues that some people are making him out to be.

I just feel that he is a bit over-hyped is all...but maybe I am just basing my knowledge on the posters here. I think people need to realize his true potential.

Regardless, great pick by St.Louis no doubt.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Cerebral said:
Doesn't that say something though - Chucko works his *** of every game he plays and he's still only put up up 13 points in 30 games this season. To make the point clearer, four defencemen are currently outscoring Kris Chucko.

I think the fact that he hasn't earned more ice time with the top players on the team says something about his offensive potential. He might break out in the future but putting up .43 points/game in your sophomore season in college certainly isn't a reason to be optimistic.

Heck, the "unskilled" Mike Knuble that you mentioned put up 42 points in 39 games for Michigan in his sophomore year back in 1992. Chucko is definitely a project but I personally don't like the sounds of a non-skilled power forward with very poor skating ability, regardless of his work ethic.

Chucko sees the ice alot. His line is our top D line. Not bad for a power forward to play against other teams top lines. His skating last year was poor, this year it has improved greatly. He is still raw and may not be polished untill his senior year. I am not calling him the next NHL star power forward but for a guy that is still clealy improving i will not write him off yet. Barry Tallackson is playing better in the AHL then he did at the U. Not everyone can go out and score goals.

I do agree that Chucko will never be a top scorer. But his worth will be, chipping in a goal, knocking someone on their butt, creating havoc in front of the net, working hard and drawing penalties. Hard to judge that. Will not get you a scoring title or 1st-3rd all NHL but will help win a cup.

hab

Jan 19, 2006
I could see blake wheeler from phoenix as being a total bust. still cant beleive they took this guy 5th when there was plenty of talent to be had (eg. olesz )

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I'd say maybe a guys like Valabik, Wheeler, Skille, Kostitsyn and Upshall because they were all taken with top ten and don't look like they will be able to justify being taken so high. On the other hand I'm positive at least one of the aformentioned players will one day be a star... that's how it goes with these young guys, you never know what will happen.

atreides

Feb 6, 2006
mazmin said:
I'd say maybe a guys like Valabik, Wheeler, Skille, Kostitsyn and Upshall because they were all taken with top ten and don't look like they will be able to justify being taken so high. On the other hand I'm positive at least one of the aformentioned players will one day be a star... that's how it goes with these young guys, you never know what will happen.

For Upshall, he's playing very well right now ! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad