Funny Matt Cullen Story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Nice story about Matt Cullen's European work experience. The part that I thought was interesting, beyond Matt enjoying the lack of hitting, was that Cullen is making $7,920 per month. The article said Cullen made $1.75M last year with FLA, which was abut $7,113 per PERIOD of hockey over a full season. Cullen was making almost as much per PERIOD the Panthers played last season than he now makes in a MONTH!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=111351

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Beukeboom Fan said:
Nice story about Matt Cullen's European work experience. The part that I thought was interesting, beyond Matt enjoying the lack of hitting, was that Cullen is making $7,920 per month. The article said Cullen made $1.75M last year with FLA, which was abut $7,113 per PERIOD of hockey over a full season. Cullen was making almost as much per PERIOD the Panthers played last season than he now makes in a MONTH!
And why is it again that the players are willing to play in Europe for a fraction of what they would be making in the NHL even with a cap structure in place?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Kickabrat said:
And why is it again that the players are willing to play in Europe for a fraction of what they would be making in the NHL even with a cap structure in place?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I think it's ironic that the NHLPA's lock-out fund ($5-10K per month) is paying Cullen about the same as his Italian team.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Beukeboom Fan said:
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I think it's ironic that the NHLPA's lock-out fund ($5-10K per month) is paying Cullen about the same as his Italian team.

I think it's ironic that Cullen's Italian league salary combined with his lockout pay pays less in a month than what he earns from a single NHL game yet the PA say they're being treated unfairly.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
CarlRacki said:
I think it's ironic that Cullen's Italian league salary combined with his lockout pay pays less in a month than what he earns from a single NHL game yet the PA say they're being treated unfairly.
just goes to show how poorly Bettman has treated the negotiations. i have heard numerous comments from players suggesting they dont like the offer being rammed down their throats.

if the NHL had tried a little sugar instead of their hardline take it or leave it efforts, hockey would be on.

why else would the WHA say, in response to why the players would play for a capped WHA, "its all about how you sell it to the players".

the players want nothing to do with a Bettmann solution. the sooner the owners replace him as their chief negotiator, the sooner the players will be back on the ice on the owners terms.

pretty simple really.

change the messanger and get the results.

dr

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
DR said:
just goes to show how poorly Bettman has treated the negotiations. i have heard numerous comments from players suggesting they dont like the offer being rammed down their throats.

if the NHL had tried a little sugar instead of their hardline take it or leave it efforts, hockey would be on.

why else would the WHA say, in response to why the players would play for a capped WHA, "its all about how you sell it to the players".

the players want nothing to do with a Bettmann solution. the sooner the owners replace him as their chief negotiator, the sooner the players will be back on the ice on the owners terms.

pretty simple really.

change the messanger and get the results.

dr

Perhaps negotiations should go like this:

Bettman: We're offering a cap.
Goodenow: We'll never accept a cap.
Bettman: Pretty please.
Goodenow: No.
Bettman: Pretty please with sugar on top.
Goodenow: OK, it's a deal.

If what you're saying is true -- and I highly doubt it is -- then the players association is dumber than I thought. If the players are willing to participate in a capped WHA or earn pennies on the dollar in Europe because they don't like Gary Bettman they're simply stupid. I don't think that's the case and I think your theory is ludicrous.

CoolburnIsGone

....The article said Cullen made $1.75M last year with FLA....
But he signed with Carolina before the lockout began for $800,000 so his contract has already been cut in half. I would guess that his future contracts would also reduce significantly if there is a cap in place (probably not the 50% reduction but you never know if the lockout lasts 2 yrs).

CoolburnIsGone

CarlRacki said:
If what you're saying is true -- and I highly doubt it is -- then the players association is dumber than I thought. If the players are willing to participate in a capped WHA or earn pennies on the dollar in Europe because they don't like Gary Bettman they're simply stupid. I don't think that's the case and I think your theory is ludicrous.
Why are they dumb? Because they don't feel appreciated when they go to work by their employer? I left my last company for the primary reason that they did not respect me or treat me well. I was only lucky to be making more money at the new job but even if it was for less money, I would work at a place where I like my employer and my employer treats me well. And I don't buy the excuse that just cause they're making a lot of money that it shouldn't matter to them how they're treated. I'm not sure if you just remove Bettman that the players would agree to a salary cap but there were better ways for the league to approach the matter (and yes the players could've also responded better with their "we'll never accept a salary cap" as well).

Quantas

Feb 4, 2004
Ottawa
Coolburn said:
Why are they dumb? Because they don't feel appreciated when they go to work by their employer? I left my last company for the primary reason that they did not respect me or treat me well. I was only lucky to be making more money at the new job but even if it was for less money, I would work at a place where I like my employer and my employer treats me well. And I don't buy the excuse that just cause they're making a lot of money that it shouldn't matter to them how they're treated. I'm not sure if you just remove Bettman that the players would agree to a salary cap but there were better ways for the league to approach the matter (and yes the players could've also responded better with their "we'll never accept a salary cap" as well).
Two points to tackle...

One, the players don't work for Gary Bettman exactly. Yes, they have to deal with him right now, due to the "negotiations", but on the whole, when hockey is back on, they have very few dealings with him (except during suspensions or when he hands the playoff winner the Stanley Cup - I'm sure they can stomach him for those few minutes). They work for their coach/GM/President/Owner. So while Bettman may make their skin crawl right now, in the end, it's all how in how they're received once they go back to work. For the most part, the owners have kept quiet on the issue (other than mainly saying that the lockout is necessary and that they're all losing less money now than before). Sure some have stuck their foot in their mouths (Karmanos and Jacobs to name two) but otherwise, I don't think any of the owners have said anything objectionable. So I don't see the players having a problem going back to work.

As for the second issue, you say that you'd take a drop in pay to work somewhere where you felt you were better appreciated. Fair enough, I think most of us (unless we're really hard pressed for money) would do the same. The question is, how far would you go. Would you take a job elsewhere knowing your salary would drop 40%? How about if it dropped 50%? 60%? I know I wouldn't, and that's exactly what's happening to the players in Europe.

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard