Funny article from 1993

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n18_v216/ai_14253619

This goes back to my point from the other day. No matter where player salaries are at, owners are going to be crying poverty.

I also find it amusing becuase Wirtz says Chicago is going to have to make due without Chelios soon anyway. Little did he know.

It's like that in every Collective Bargaining Agreement, it's not just in the sports business. Poor billionnaires owners but still you can find those ''I won't cry over a player making 10,000,000$''

Feb 12, 2003
Great find.

Also interesting article here .

Don't look now, but the Oilers' season-ticket sales have dropped to 8,100. That news proves it didn't pay for the Oilers to shortchange their fans by trading away their best players.

Funny to see how many of the issues are still basically the same, and that they didn't do anything but hold the status quo the past 10 years with the CBA.

Bettman & Goodenow debate on TV

Funny to see Wigge with the insiders edge, calling the Vernon trade to Detroit.

Very interesting requests from Bettman in the CBA talks 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Feb 12, 2003
Canada losing NHL teams from 1994

It's amazing to go back and read these old articles, because it shows how things got where they are today and how things went wrong.

Maybe I'm the only one that has time to read these articles on a work break, but I find them absolutely fascinating about the evolution of the NHL the past 10 years.

This last article just makes me wonder so much more how the league would be different if there would have been a cap and revenue sharing sooner. I'm not saying a hard cap, but even something like the homegrown cap, and how it could have helped a team like the 80's Oilers to keep more of their team intact. There still would have been a big exodus of stars, but on a lesser scale I'd suspect.

It seems like there would still be teams in Winnipeg & Quebec & Hartford if changes were made sooner. You could consider the moves to Phoenix and Raleigh as questionable solutions considering both teams have had their difficulties in their current markets.

10 years ago they were crying apocalypse.

It's somewhat funny to also read how bad the owners were all saying it was 10 years ago, and they still got to this point and some of them made dumb moves along the way that didn't help things. You'd think that if things were really as bad as they were claiming 10 years ago, that half the teams in the league would have folded. Now in the modern era, it's the same bell tolling, and maybe things aren't nearly as bad as they look.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
GoCoyotes said:
10 years ago they were crying apocalypse.

It's somewhat funny to also read how bad the owners were all saying it was 10 years ago, and they still got to this point and some of them made dumb moves along the way that didn't help things. You'd think that if things were really as bad as they were claiming 10 years ago, that half the teams in the league would have folded. Now in the modern era, it's the same bell tolling, and maybe things aren't nearly as bad as they look.

That one is really funny. The owners wanted a luxury tax in 94. The PA should mention this in negotiations now.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Good god Wigge...

When the Capitals named Dale Hunter captain, it became official that holdout defenseman Kevin Hatcher will be traded. Detroit is most interested. Steve Yzerman for Hatcher? It makes sense....

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
JWI19 said:
Good god Wigge...

When the Capitals named Dale Hunter captain, it became official that holdout defenseman Kevin Hatcher will be traded. Detroit is most interested. Steve Yzerman for Hatcher? It makes sense....

and in the original article I posted he suggests the Wings should trade Lidstrom. :amazed:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)

WhalerBoy

Jul 22, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I dont know about you guys, but the most depressing thing for me from the 93 article wasnt the $$$$ issues, but the points defencemen like Duchesne, Murphy and J.Brown used to get! Duchesne had 82pts! Im pretty sure that puts him top 5 in this years NHL, OF ALL PLAYERS!! How pathetic. Not only is the game flawed, the product weakened, but now we dont get to even see it for a year. If I ran my company like the NHL runs their product, Id be broke. :banghead:

"(Quebec Owner) Marcel Aubut promised last year that I would be paid in line with comparable defensemen in the NHL," Duchesne says. "Now, he's backing down from his word." Duchesne, whose 82 points last season compared favorably to Murphy's 85 and Brown's 78, "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->