[Fun Question] Guarantee your team wins a cup next year but at a cost?

Do you take the deal?

• Yes, guarantee the cup win next season with the cup drought curse.

Votes: 81 57.9%
  • No, I'll take my chances.

Votes: 59 42.1%

• Total voters

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
It's very tempting, especially given the only way the genie could ever plausibly make it work would be to give Price and Weber miraculous recoveries, and have Suzuki/Caufield/Guhle/Romanov/2022 1st rounder all break out with monster years. That would just be such a wild and unique scenario as a sports fan, and having Price come back and finally win it next year after getting to the finals last year would be really special.

Ultimately I voted no because I think 1 cup in 32 years should be seen as a failure for a team that has unlimited financial resources in a league where tons of teams still can't spend to the cap. A couple years ago I would have taken the deal easily, but right now I'm confident that even if the current front office can't get it done, the long-term effects of dragging the Habs development/scouting processes out of the stone age should set things up well for the future.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yes, absolutely lol. I'd take the deal even if it was one guaranteed Cup at some point over the next 32 years.

The league is so big at this point that there will be teams that don't even approach winning over a 50-60 year period. The Canucks are obviously already at 52 years, but it could be another 50 very easily.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
The leafs haven’t won a playoff round in 17 years, a Canadian team hasn’t won a cup in 30 years. Any fan of a Canadian team (especially Toronto or Edmonton) says HELL YES!!!
I would think out of Canadian teams the 3 teams that have never won a cup would be the first to take the deal

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Pride and integrity say no. You can't do it the easy way.

Eventually, when the Leafs do win, it'll be a very sweet day for their fans.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wild that 50% of fans think their team is going to win multiple Cups in the next 32 years. How many teams have won multiple times since 1990? I have a feeling it isn’t 15.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Would be a lot more palatable if during a 32 year span my team won the cup and I didn’t know which year it was.

It’s hard to not take the cup with the way the East is shaping up, but with the financial and support state the Senators are in I think a cup would do wonders.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Absolutely. I don't think many people realize how many of the 32 teams are not going to win a single cup in the next 32 years. Let alone multiple cups....you take the guarantee all day everyday.

Reactions: banks and PensPlz

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Considering the age of the Pens' current core, I'd opt for one more Cup since the Pens are likely going to crash and burn soon anyways, and there's no guarantee they land another generational player (or two) after Sid/Geno retire.

So I'd opt for the sure thing over maybe winning a Cup at some unknown time in the future.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
This feels like what the Habs have been going through since 1993. As a Habs fan, I'd take this deal for 2 reasons.

1- I hadn't turned 4 when they won the cup in 1993, so I have no memory of it. I'm now 32 and I would like to be still young enough to experience the all night experience downtown Montréal without having to take 2 weeks off from work to recover. With the state of the team, this is not about to happen though.

Which brings me to my 2nd reason.

2- seeing this lineup win a cup would be glorious and a troll job for the ages.

Probably not as bad as the Coyotes who would skate around with the cup in a college rink lmao

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I’d take the offer but little does the genie know, I made a deal with a different genie for the next 3 seasons as well.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think I pass. The math favors us winning sometime soon due to our futility record. I would hate to eliminate a potential dynasty from haunting HF for years.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad