Fun Dustin Boyd Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Before the tournament started, even before Boyd was named to the selection camp, nevermind the team, I had an opportunity to talk to him about Anton Khudobin and Russian netminders in general.

Granted, Boyd was fresh from the CHL - Canada/Russia Challenge, where Khudobin had a massive goals against average and a save percentage under .800.

Here's what he had to say.

“I’d have no problems if we were to face the Russians and (Khudobin) was in net."

“I think he’s a goaltender we could get to. I definitely think we’d have an advantage because we’ve all seen him a few times (in the WHL) already and know his weaknesses.â€

I guess he was right.

Phanuthier*

Did you do that article Aaron?

What kind of character is Boyd away from the game? He seems like a real student of the game, one of those smart players who will get by in the NHL because knows and understand the game so well.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Phanuthier said:
Did you do that article Aaron?

What kind of character is Boyd away from the game? He seems like a real student of the game, one of those smart players who will get by in the NHL because knows and understand the game so well.

I did do the article.

I've had the luxury to talk to him several times in the last two years. I've caught up to him at the past two rookie camps, the CHL Canada/Russia Challenge last year in Lethbridge and whenever Prince Albert manages to come to Calgary.

Away from the ice he's very collected and relaxed. He really enjoys talking to anyone and everyone who has any interest in him. Eventually he'll get sick of us media types!

If you can get him away from talking about hockey for a moment, he's quite the character as well, and is typically all smiles.

In terms of his hockey intellegence, I think his game on the ice will speak volumes of how he'll adapt to an NHL game, moreso than anything said or done off the ice.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
This is exactly how I felt too. I skated with Boyd all summer, he's a confident guy who can really finish around the net. He is not one to concede an inch on any play and it was good to see him bring that this tournament. As I have said all week, the talented teams had no reason to be scared of Rask or Khudobin. The Canadians certainly proved that by owning them both in the elimination games.

Phanuthier*

Le Golie said:
This is exactly how I felt too. I skated with Boyd all summer, he's a confident guy who can really finish around the net. He is not one to concede an inch on any play and it was good to see him bring that this tournament. As I have said all week, the talented teams had no reason to be scared of Rask or Khudobin. The Canadians certainly proved that by owning them both in the elimination games.
Any other info on Boyd? NHL projections, weaknesses (besides bulking up) and what he has to do to make the NHL? How close? ect ect

Always curious about Flames prospects

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Phanuthier said:
Any other info on Boyd? NHL projections, weaknesses (besides bulking up) and what he has to do to make the NHL? How close? ect ect

Always curious about Flames prospects

He has all the tools he needs, he'll play in the NHL. His speed is pretty incredible actually, he has a great stride. It's like he's gliding out there, but yet he blows by people. Good change of pace too, which is more important than most people know. He does need to get bigger, but he's already strong on the puck and not afraid to play in the tough areas. He has a nose for the net and like I said earlier, he doesn't give an inch.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
As far as the Flames go Dustin Boyd potential seems to me to be that of a slightly more physical Matt Lombardi. Speed to burn, good hands, good offensive instincts. It looks like boyd doesn't mind playing in the high traffic areas though. Lombardi seems to get knocked around a little easy in front of the net. How big is Boyd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->