Fukufuji, and other non traditional hockey countries...

Kostitsyn404*

Just curious how many NHLers, or players on the cusp of the NHL, are close to making it, that are from non traditional hockey countries. Are there anymore Japanese, maybe Chinese, or Korean players on the verge of being good players at the pro level. Just asking, because you guys obviously know your own teams system better than me.

lol @ this thread. I have Italian/Irish/Scottish blood, but my family tree moved here a while back and were given a french name. I myself am personally born and raised in Montreal, PQ. Personally speaking I feel that makes me a Canadian. Not Irish, not Scottish, not Italian. Even if I was conceived in Italy and my parents took a plane here and it landed 1 hour before my mom gave birth, I would still be Canadian. Where your born is where your born and your blood is your blood.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
Roman Ndur was from Nigeria...

His father was my family doctor in St. Thomas, and he was not born in Nigeria, he born close to here in Union. His parents are straight out of Nigeria tho.

And another mention from Poland, dont forget the Polish prince, Mariusz Czerkawski

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
I thought about adding them but didn't because they play(ed) Switzerland
David Aebischer (NHL Montreal), Martin Gerber (NHL Ottawa), Mark Streit (NHL Montreal), Patrick Fischer (NHL Phoenix)
Tim Ramholt (AHL Calgary Defense), Timo Helbling (AHL Nashville? Defense), Tobias Stephan (Goalie - AHL - Dallas)
Juraj Simek (WHL - LW - Vancouver)
Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i (2007 Draft, Forward Projected 1st Round-2nd Round?)

Dont forget Kevin Romy (4th round - Philadelhpia 2003)
Philipe Furer (cant remember what round or year but he was drafted by Rangers) Goran Bezina who former played for PHoenix and in the AHL before returning to Switzerland, however he is originally born in Split, Croatia

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
Kings prospect Ned Lukacevic was born in Montenegro, although I'm pretty sure he was raised in Canada.

The Ottawa 67's drafted an Australian player, Jarred Seymour, 3rd round, 46th overall in last year's OHL draft. I don't know how good he is though.

dao256

Mar 12, 2006
Canada
His father was my family doctor in St. Thomas, and he was not born in Nigeria, he born close to here in Union. His parents are straight out of Nigeria tho.

And another mention from Poland, dont forget the Polish prince, Mariusz Czerkawski

Nope, he was born in Zaria, Nigeria.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm surprised no one has mentioned former Flames goalie Levente Szuper yet.

He's Hungarian, certainly one of the most obscure nations to be represented in the NHL.

Except for the fact he's never played in the NHL...

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota had a dude, who won't ever come back though, from Poland. Marcin Kolusz. Eh...waste of a pick.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Oleg Tverdovsky, Vitaly Vishnevsky, Anton Babchuk, Petr Shchastlivy, Alexei Zhitnik, Nikolai Zherdev, Denis Shvidki.

All these players are from Ukraine.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
Edmonton prospect Dragan Umicevic was born in Bosnia and Herzegovina, but moved to Sweden at a young age.

he was born about an hour away from where my dad originated from...how is he doing anyways? any nhl potential with him?

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Oleg Tverdovsky, Vitaly Vishnevsky, Anton Babchuk, Petr Shchastlivy, Alexei Zhitnik, Nikolai Zherdev, Denis Shvidki.

All these players are from Ukraine.

Even though it sounds Ukrainian (Schastlivy means lucky in Ukrainian) there appears to be confusion to where exactly he was born. One link says Vikhorevka, the other says Angarsk, and another one says Yaroslav.

No other country has more immediate players that were born in a certain country, and developed and called their own in another country.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Well, i think that Swiss and other former-USSR countries are NOT non traditional hockey countries, as well as Austria and Germany. For example hockey in Belarus is huge, in Ukraine hockey is in crisis but still played a lot etc...non traditional hockey countries imho are the likes of Japan, Hungary, Poland. And most of players that you mentioned in this thread are in fact canadian players, like Wolski, Ndur, etc.

And the best players from Kazakhstan is not Pushkarev neither Antropov. The very best is Evgeni Koreshkov

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Even though it sounds Ukrainian (Schastlivy means lucky in Ukrainian) there appears to be confusion to where exactly he was born. One link says Vikhorevka, the other says Angarsk, and another one says Yaroslav.

No other country has more immediate players that were born in a certain country, and developed and called their own in another country.

Yes, and I forgot Alexei Mikhnov.

As I know Dainus Zubrus played for junior team(not national of course) from Ukraine, but after some serious conflict, he was expelled.

Last edited:

Buddhaa

Feb 12, 2006
Riga, Latvia
Yes, and I forgot Alexei Mikhnov.

As I know Dainus Zubrus played for junior team(not national of course) from Ukraine, but after some serious conflict, he was expelled.

Now why why why would a Lithuanian player play for Ukraine! This sounds wrong. I think Zubrus played for Russia at some point which makes sense as the Russian national team is always a contender. I would also understand Poland as Lithuanians have a special bond with Polish (historical and religion based). Are you sure?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Now why why why would a Lithuanian player play for Ukraine! This sounds wrong. I think Zubrus played for Russia at some point which makes sense as the Russian national team is always a contender. I would also understand Poland as Lithuanians have a special bond with Polish (historical and religion based). Are you sure?

Yes I'm sure. Zubrus was going to play for Ukraine, because he became hockey player there, and was playing there for the team Druzhba-1978. He was even in training camp of national team.

Then as I know he fought with some ukrainan players, and was expelled by coach. Dainus returned to Lithuania, then he was selected in draft and moved to USA.

Now he plays for Lithuanian national team, because they are really intrested in him. Dainus refused to play for Ukraine because of that accsident, as for team Russia, he has played for them only during 1 non IIHF tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad