Kings Article: Frozen Royalty Exclusive: LA Kings Director of Amateur Scouting Mark Yannetti On the 2022 NHL Draft – Part 2

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
It really was a snooze of a draft and that’s ok. Hope to see some of these guys contributing four-five years from now. Thanks Gann.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Thanks, Gann!

So many of the picks had injuries: Booth, Salin, Lawrence. It's possible that if all of them had injury free years, all could have had better seasons, stats and ended up being higher selections. Maybe all 3 of these players show a lot more this coming season. Salin was never healthy the full yr...Booth, 2 ankle sprains...and Lawrence missed most of last 2 years.

Too bad they could not move up from 86 and get one of the kids they coveted in the 75 range.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Yeah, really liking the last 5 picks they made in the bottom half of the draft. Always long-shots to make it at that point. But they might have some hidden gems that could develop into a viable NHL players. Depth or bottom 6 / 2 types...but players nonetheless. More importantly, these guys are bigger / power / physical type guys which is sorely needed.

Connors seems to have good size. But idk if he actually uses it and is physical.

Hughes -- not at all and that's one reason i didn't like the pick. But you take BPA. Hopefully he does indeed turn into a very good prospet and future NHL guy -- and can be used as a trade asset in the future.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Too bad they could not move up from 86 and get one of the kids they coveted in the 75 range.
I wonder you these 2 guys who went near 80 that they wanted to move up to 75, 78-79 for were. I'm thinking one was likely Dman Pettersson at 80. That's my guess for one. Not sure who else.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I wonder you these 2 guys who went near 80 that they wanted to move up to 75, 78-79 for were. I'm thinking one was likely Dman Pettersson at 80. That's my guess for one. Not sure who else.
My guess is the Kings wanted to move up to get Zhilkin or Fisher, who went 76 and 77. After that didn't work, they wanted to move up and try to get Pettersson, Ingram, or Kulonummi.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thanks Gann, staff seems real excited about Otto Salin’s potential more than anyone else they selected.

Someone on the main board draft thread was really REALLY high and very descriptive about Salin, I want to go find it now. Figured he was just a looney but nice to see it corroborated heh. Basically calling him the possible steal of the draft after recovery.

Also 5'11 205lbs is a brick shithouse for a kid :laugh:

Jun 30, 2006
Someone on the main board draft thread was really REALLY high and very descriptive about Salin, I want to go find it now. Figured he was just a looney but nice to see it corroborated heh. Basically calling him the possible steal of the draft after recovery.

Also 5'11 205lbs is a brick shithouse for a kid :laugh:
I think I saw that post, some Finnish guy that said he has first round potential. Either way, he was a consensus top 100 player in the draft. To get him at 158 was a total steal.

Though I’m scratching my head and wondering why the Kings took Angus over Otto. I get the left shot Dman is a need but Angus wasn’t as highly ranked as Otto.

Purefect

May 30, 2008

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
“If you’re picking in the top five, you’ve got a 100 percent chance of success,” added Yannetti. “If you go back twelve, maybe twenty years of drafts, it’s a 100 percent chance. As you go further and further back, the lower the percentages go.”

This is the most BS thing to say when there are always busts(or player that did not reach his ceiling) in the top 5. I think Yannetti just likes to speak , makes him feel Lombardi like. His next job would be a GM somewhere down the road. But he is no Dean.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Thanks for the article, Gann. I really want someone to ask Yannetti about Vilardi, Turcotte, and Kupari and how he perceives their development since being drafted. Turcotte is the one I'm most interested in hearing about.

Reactions: BigBrown

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
“If you’re picking in the top five, you’ve got a 100 percent chance of success,” added Yannetti. “If you go back twelve, maybe twenty years of drafts, it’s a 100 percent chance. As you go further and further back, the lower the percentages go.”

This is the most BS thing to say when there are always busts(or player that did not reach his ceiling) in the top 5. I think Yannetti just likes to speak , makes him feel Lombardi like. His next job would be a GM somewhere down the road. But he is no Dean.

I think what they're deeming as "success" for any pick is playing NHL games. How many and how effectively is anyone's guess. I agree that's not what I would call success because it lacks nuance. And if you think about it, the Kings crank out NHL'ers like nobody's business, so that's a feather in their caps. Top sixers and top pairing guys? Ehhh...

Reactions: BringTheReign

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Wagner is a 4th rounder who plays 171 nhl games and has 41 points. A successful prospect by most measures. Good enough to earn a one way, 3 year contract. Of course, he suck’s and therefore is buried. Just shows you the clown in charge is taking things day by day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad