Front Loaded Contracts

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Yea, but the team getting the player still has to take the cap hit which restricts the new team from other options and trades or am I missing something. I realize the money would be less to have to pay out but you still have the cap hit. In the pre-lockout league I could see this logic but not now with the cap.
For this year, Nashville might be a candidate for a low dollar, high cap hit player. They might even manage to squeeze a little extra (like draft picks) for said player.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Yea, but the team getting the player still has to take the cap hit which restricts the new team from other options and trades or am I missing something. I realize the money would be less to have to pay out but you still have the cap hit. In the pre-lockout league I could see this logic but not now with the cap.

San Jose took advantage of having cap room last season to absorb the Malakhov cap hit and gained NJD first rd pick in the swap.
(note: not about front-loaded contract, the thread title, but trying to give an example of a team taking on cap hit, but not the salary that goes with it, which is similar, but not identical, to the front-loaded contract concept)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad