News Article: From worst to first, ranking how each NHL team performs at the draft

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
IMG_0719.jpg

It's the Athletic so Paywall

From worst to first, ranking how each NHL team performs at...

1. Ducks
2. Jets
3. Lightning
4. Canes
5. Panthers

30. Coyotes

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Not surprising as I think we already knew this, but nice to see the recognition.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Interesting that Jack Roslovic is not in that list.

Perhaps he wasn't in the Jets' lineup (i.e. on the Moose) when that list was made?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
We all know our success, but how about that of the Ducks? Hard to argue with the Ducks being at 1; They have been nothing short of incredible at the draft table.

2011: Rakell (30), Gibson (39), Karlsson (53), Manson (160)
2012: Lindholm (6), Andersen (87)
2013: Theodore (26)
2014: Ritchie (10), Pettersson (38), Montour (55), Kase (205 - WTF?!)
2015: Larsson (27), Terry (148)

That's a bunch of key/core pieces selected with fairly late picks. After 2015, they have picked Jones (24), Steel (30) and Mahura (85) in 2016, as well as the haul in 2017, which included quality prospects like Comtois (50), Morand (60) and Badini (91). A record like theirs makes me envious, until I look at our record and realise that our scouting is more than fine too.

Reactions: jetsforever

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
What the Jets do better than anyone else is pick in the first round.

I think only Stanley isn't tracking to be a standout NHL player, and even then, IIRC he's taken huge strides in the past year.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
What the Jets do better than anyone else is pick in the first round.

I think only Stanley isn't tracking to be a standout NHL player, and even then, IIRC he's taken huge strides in the past year.

He had a strong start to the year, which had some thinking he made huge strides. He's slowed down some since (though that doesn't mean he didn't make those strides)

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
He had a strong start to the year, which had some thinking he made huge strides. He's slowed down some since (though that doesn't mean he didn't make those strides)

I mean, if he comes into the NHL and lights up the league as a #2-4 d-man, we'll be surprised, but no one would be surprised if he is a nice above average bottom pairing guy. If that's your floor in the first round, you're doing pretty well. Jets have hit the 5-15 picks way out of the park.

I'm sure it's compared in this article, but most teams don't hit on those the way the Jets do.

7-Scheif (#1 Centre)
9-Trouba (1st pairing D-Man)
9-Ehlers (First line winger)
13-Morrissey (1st pairing D-Man)

Throw in Connor at 17, and the Jets can knock those mid round picks out of the park.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's @cudmorecolin's Scouting Staff Sizes - Anaheim does it on a shoestring. Jets are 7th in league. When the plan is "Draft & Develop" I guess it makes sense to have a big scouting staff.

I believe the Thrashers had 12 scouts when TNSE purchased the franchise (those 12 still managed to draft Scheifele and Lowry though). I'm not sure what other teams had in terms scouting staffs at that time. 12 was considered pretty small, IIRC. Would be tied with Anaheim for 2nd last on this chart.

DNEhfDXV4AAfQD1.png

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Here's @cudmorecolin's Scouting Staff Sizes - Anaheim does it on a shoestring. Jets are 7th in league. When the plan is "Draft & Develop" I guess it makes sense to have a big scouting staff.

I believe the Thrashers had 12 scouts when TNSE purchased the franchise (those 12 still managed to draft Scheifele and Lowry though). I'm not sure what other teams had in terms scouting staffs at that time. 12 was considered pretty small, IIRC. Would be tied with Anaheim for 2nd last on this chart.

DNEhfDXV4AAfQD1.png

I wonder if the Thrashers would have drafted Scheifele if they had not moved.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder if the Thrashers would have drafted Scheifele if they had not moved.
They would have rushed him into the league and ruined him.
I don't know if they would've taken him - there seemed to be pressure from Atlanta ownership to take the most NHL-ready player available with the idea of slotting him right in...to sell tickets (and turn the team around more quickly). At least that's kinda the vibe I get from the Thrashers last few drafts before relocation. So that would probably have been Couturier. Then again, Chipman said the scout who was pushing hard for Scheifele had pushed for Skinner the year before (but Carolina snapped him up one spot before Atlanta got the chance).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We all know our success, but how about that of the Ducks? Hard to argue with the Ducks being at 1; They have been nothing short of incredible at the draft table.

2011: Rakell (30), Gibson (39), Karlsson (53), Manson (160)
2012: Lindholm (6), Andersen (87)
2013: Theodore (26)
2014: Ritchie (10), Pettersson (38), Montour (55), Kase (205 - WTF?!)
2015: Larsson (27), Terry (148)

That's a bunch of key/core pieces selected with fairly late picks. After 2015, they have picked Jones (24), Steel (30) and Mahura (85) in 2016, as well as the haul in 2017, which included quality prospects like Comtois (50), Morand (60) and Badini (91). A record like theirs makes me envious, until I look at our record and realise that our scouting is more than fine too.
Lots of nice pieces there, but other than Lindholm none really have driven the franchise forward like Getzlaf and Perry. Those are the two picks that turned the franchise into a perennial contender.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Lots of nice pieces there, but other than Lindholm none really have driven the franchise forward like Getzlaf and Perry. Those are the two picks that turned the franchise into a perennial contender.

Rakell has had 2 straight 30 goal seasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad