Frolov vs. Zherdev

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Frolov is already a star in this league. It's a close call but personally I would go with Frolov.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
correct me if wrong, but frolov is a bit more physical and goes to the net a bit more

i feel like he has more dimensions to his game and will be more valuable to his team in the long run

zherdev may score more career points, but i see more success for frolov

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Zherdev has come a long way since the trade for Fedorov. He has started to backcheck and cover for dmen that join the rush. He is starting to use his teamate better and choose his spots, he's learning when he should just dump it in instead of trying to take it in all alone. Frolov will always be the more rounded player, but Zherdev has already started to become a more complete player than many people ever thought he would, myself included.

Tatay Farlo

Oct 2, 2005
Surrey, BC
Thanks Hockeyman9. So who would you pick to become a superstar in the league? Ie. 50 goals, offensive leader in the league, top 10 scorer?

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
baljitgill said:
Thanks Hockeyman9. So who would you pick to become a superstar in the league? Ie. 50 goals, offensive leader in the league, top 10 scorer?
Hard to say Frolov can and has the potential too. He had the second highest PPG average in the RSL last season and can do the same in NHL but decides to never shoot.... Zherdev questionably or probably has the higher goal scoring potential but Frolov is the better player to build around

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Frolov is already a star in this league. It's a close call but personally I would go with Frolov.

In whose eyes exactly? Must be yours because I don't see Frolov as a star. He's a nice player, 1st liner, but is too inconsistent to be a star player. 47 points in 53 games. Those are numbers of a star player? Going 16 games or whatever it was without a goal is something a star player does? If those are star numbers, then there are a ton of star players in the NHL now.

As for the original question, I'll take Zherdev. Younger, just as talented and is really playing well right now. I see him surpassing Frolov as early as next season, maybe even by the end of this season.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Offensively, Zherdev has a better shot, is faster, more creative, and is shiftier than Frolov. They are about even on finishing ability (which is amazing given Frolov's crappy shot).

Frolov's play without the puck is far superior (might be one of the best in the league already). He is an excellent forechecker and has great anticipation, and is an excellent penalty killer.

Frolov is much stronger on his skates and can play a tight checking game better than Zherdev can. After another year or two if he bulks up a little more defensemen are going to have a hard time taking the puck away from him down low (a la Forsberg or Allison).

Neither player is particularly physical.

I think both will be stars in the end.
Zherdev will probably score more and generate more highlight reels, but Frolov will probably be a far more valuable player to have on your team.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Kritty said:
In whose eyes exactly? Must be yours because I don't see Frolov as a star. He's a nice player, 1st liner, but is too inconsistent to be a star player. 47 points in 53 games. Those are numbers of a star player? Going 16 games or whatever it was without a goal is something a star player does? If those are star numbers, then there are a ton of star players in the NHL now.

As for the original question, I'll take Zherdev. Younger, just as talented and is really playing well right now. I see him surpassing Frolov as early as next season, maybe even by the end of this season.

If you are talking strictly by points then you're probably right. Frolov is one of those players where you can't just judge by scoring (i.e., Lehtinen, Marleau).

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
AnThGrt said:
Zherdev questionably or probably has the higher goal scoring potential but Frolov is the better player to build around

IMHO, I don't think you build your team around either one of these players. I think they'll both be stars, but they'll both be secondary stars to the team.

At this point Frolov is much better without the puck than Zherdev ... but he's also two years older. As an earlier poster has noted, Fedorov is having quite an influence on Zherdev. HUGE influence. Z used to never play D and just float and try trick moves while on O ... he's now playing much more responsible (still work to do) and is learning to play with the other four guys on the ice.

I think Frolov will always be better than Z without the puck, but the gap will narrow significantly (already is starting).

On the other hand, I would take Z's creativeness on offense over Frolov. Frolov is very good, but Z can be simply dazzling.

If it were me I'd take them both. I'd love to see a line of Frolov-Brule-Zherdev on the Blue Jackets!!!

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Tadite said:
Yup. More to hockey players then just stats.

Thanks, I didn't know that. That being said, Frolov still isn't a star. No matter how you set it up, he just isn't there. He will very likely get there, but he isn't now. That's just a reality. I have nothing against Frolov, I think he's a great player, but a star he is not.

David Catselhoff

Jan 14, 2005
Frolov may have one or two big offensive years, but I think his upside is more of a selke candidate. He is great along the boards, forechecks well, and is a great backchecker. This should improve over the next couple of years turning him into a selke candidate IMO. 60-70 points may be his upside, but he'll garner attention because of a strong 2way game.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Kritty said:
Thanks, I didn't know that. That being said, Frolov still isn't a star. No matter how you set it up, he just isn't there. He will very likely get there, but he isn't now. That's just a reality. I have nothing against Frolov, I think he's a great player, but a star he is not.

Agreed. Still too streaky. He's clearly on the right track (1st liner etc as Kritty said in his first post), but I don't think you can call him a "star" at this minute.

But for the purposes of the thread question, I'll take Frolov for everything else that he brings to the ice besides his ample scoring ability.

Chuck Norris*

Last nite when Zherdev was asked by Kings broadcasters who his idol and favorite player was... his answer...

Alexander Frolov.

Maithz

I think Zherdev will be better but right now Frolov but not by far ...

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
ukyo said:
Offensively, Zherdev has a better shot, is faster, more creative, and is shiftier than Frolov. They are about even on finishing ability (which is amazing given Frolov's crappy shot).

Frolov's play without the puck is far superior (might be one of the best in the league already). He is an excellent forechecker and has great anticipation, and is an excellent penalty killer.

Frolov is much stronger on his skates and can play a tight checking game better than Zherdev can. After another year or two if he bulks up a little more defensemen are going to have a hard time taking the puck away from him down low (a la Forsberg or Allison).

Neither player is particularly physical.

I think both will be stars in the end.
Zherdev will probably score more and generate more highlight reels, but Frolov will probably be a far more valuable player to have on your team.
wow...i'm surprised how accurate this post is...for a non-LA guy, you really know quite bit about Frolov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->