Frolik: please describe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
helicecopter said:
Could someone please provide a decent description of the player Frolik is?
I don't remember reading anything more than 'how good he is' on these boards yet.. :help:
which are his skills, strenghts and supposed weaknesses??
Any reports from people that actually saw him play?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi Helicecopter, boards visitors should always first visit the HF pages to look for articles. See that one published during the WJC: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7456

There is also that one from a previous U20: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7356

Use the search engine on HF and you will find more on Frolik.

My bet: If Kessel and Frolik keep going in the 2005-06 season, the first overall pick will be one of them in 2006. Kessel has an advantage as he is an American. It doesn't mean he will be a better NHLer than Frolik.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
paul99 said:
Hi Helicecopter, boards visitors should always first visit the HF pages to look for articles. See that one published during the WJC: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7456

There is also that one from a previous U20: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7356

Use the search engine on HF and you will find more on Frolik.
I usually do it, in fact i read in the past the second article, and i think i saved on my hard disk the first one without reading the whole thing, but then forgot about it... :banghead:
so thanks for the links!

Anyway, i feel like Frolik, for the great prospect he is, was not talked enough on this board (2006 is not farthermost than 2005-Crosby last year...) so i hope this thread is adding and will add something. Also i am battling the habit there is on these boards to talk about prospects without saying anything precise about their skills, the most interesting thing for the ones who still can't watch the considered player :innocent:

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Dec 30th WJC Preliminary Round - USA 1 : CZE 3

So I just finished watching this game and I don't have a whole lot to report on Frolik. He didn't stand out as a star in the game but he certainly didn't look out of place either. No real hi-lights for him from the game but I'll try to give you an idea of what I saw.

He took a couple of hits during the game and neither seemed to affect him. One was in open ice that knocked him off his feet but he jumped up right away to get back in the play. Another time he was thumped into the boards as he was trying to pick up a pick in the US zone but it didn't phase him and he kept working.

He follows the play really well and seems to be in good position most of the time. I mean he supports the puck as its coming out of his zone and he trys to skate to open ice in the offensive zone.

Its tough to judge his speed from this game but in the 3rd he was more noticable and it appeared he was able to accelerate very quickly when needed. I don't recall him having any shots on net and he didn't have any scoring opportunites.

Off Topic: Other game notes

CZE

Koutsky (G) - Got the start instead of Schwarz and had an outstanding game. 1 goal on 39 shots. He had some help from the posts in the 3rd and really was the difference as the US really outplayed the Czech's in this period. Was voted player of the game.

Kasper - Had a decent game. He had some jump and created some O for the Czech's. His game winner should have been stopped by Montoya.

Olesz - Looked like a top 7 pick. Great skills and scored the first goal with a nice shot from a tough angle. USA didn't play him physically so he had lots of room to work with.

Vrana - Solid game. He has skill. Bit of a mouth piece as well.

Smid - Unimpressive again in this game. I guess I was expecting more. didn't play poorly defensively. had 1 real bad turnover in the US zone on a CZE PP. Nothing special on O.

USA

Fritsche - This kid is a real workhorse. Scored a beauty at the end of the 2nd and was the best player on the ice for the US.

Hensick - Had some nice energy and speed in the first half of the game but was invisible in the 2nd half.

Stafford -- Had a great 3rd period. Could of had a hat trick in this frame alone. I like what I've seen from him.

Kessel - Quiet in the first part of the game, he had lots of ice time in the 3rd. Great speed and acceleration. Can really dangle with the puck and makes very good passes as well. Plays the game at a very high speed and has no concerns beating D men one-on-one. If I was to pick between Kessel and Frolik by watching this game, big edge to Kessel.

Montoya - Just ugly in the 1st and 2nd after being pulled the night before in the Belarus game. Tripped in the crease trying to position himself and Olsez put one over his glove far side from a tough angle. Kasper scored one from the top of the circle as he was entering the zone. No screen and Al came out to challenge but the puck went through him. Played better in the 3rd and kept the US in the game.

This game, esp the 3rd, was really enjoyable to watch. Eventhough I knew the outcome, I couldn't believe the chances both teams had and no one could put the puck in the net. US played the last 2:30 or so with 6 attackers and had some chances. Czech's scored in the empty net with 5 seconds left.

Here is a link to the HFboards game day thread for other posts.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=121080&page=1&pp=50

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Jan 1, 2005 Quarter Final CZE 3: FIN 0

Been busy at work so sorry for the delay.

Not a great game for Frolik. Nothing outstanding from him in terms of scoring opportunites or points. I'll give a breif recap of his play.

In the 1st period, he had 2 shifts. Not much to comment on, he just wasn't getting any ice time. It was a very tight period, with the Finns trapping and trying to match up and the Czech's seemed content to play not to lose.

In the 2nd, Frolik saw some PP time and a more regular shift with M. Polak. He had 1 shot on goal but nothing special to comment on. He looks very strong on his skates and has a powerful stride. Again he seemed to support the puck very well, esp. in the Finn zone. His stride makes it look effortless for him to get into position to cycle the puck or to move to open ice. I'd give him high marks on hockey sense and positioning. Early on the Czech PP when Vrana scored, Frolik held the puck with confidence, stick handled well with his head up, shifted back and forth up and down the right hand boards looking to start the play. He's got skill for sure.

In the 3rd he played a little more. There where two occasions when he had an opportunity to secure the puck in his own zone and didn't make great plays. One time he tried to weakly poke at the puck behind the net and the Finns took control and the other time he just sent the puck around the boards where the Finn D picked it up.

So nothing special but he certainly didn't look out of place either.

OT: Other Game notes.

CZE

Olsez looked good again. Easily the best player on O for the Czech's. Finns played him closley but not physically. He had good vision and puck skills. He can really dipsy doodle with the puck despite being tall and playing with a very long stick He has a quick accurate release and he's not afraid to shoot the puck since he can really fire it. Panthers have a good one, his 2 way game is his opportunity for improvemnet and when other teams play physical against him, I've seen him shut down. Not in this game though. Screened Rask on the Vrana PP goal. Made a nice move around Laakso deep in the Finn zone that lead to a good scoring chance for him. And on his SH goal, he was high on the left side top of the circle in the Finn zone, held the puck along the boards and when the Finn's did not attempt to engage him, he turned towards the net and fired a quick shot off Rask's shoulder into the top cornor.

Smid - Finally a good game from him. Not that he played badly in the 2 previous games I watched but he showed his skill in this one. Moved the puck really, skated well up the ice starting the play, QB the PP unit, had some strong play in his own zone along the boards. Played strong and confident.

Schwarz - Had the shutout but wasn't tested. had 2 maybe 3 tough stops. Finns had zero offense in the 1st and 2nd and tried to come on in the 3rd.

FIN

Rask - Really kept his team in the game. made plenty of good to great stops in the 1st and 2nd. This game could have been 5 -0 ater 2 periods easily. Faded in the 3rd as the Olsez goal and the Cervenka goals, could have been stopped IMO.

Joensuu - Does this kid ever have size. Played a determined game esp, in the Finn zone. Gave lots of effort and really worked for the puck. Can't really comment on skating ability but he played like a bull along the boards. Won a battle along the boards, made a quick controlled move towards the Czech goal and as he was falling made a nice pass to Piispanen who was all alone in front of Schwarz. Between himself and Frolik in this game, nod goes to Jesse for his determined effort.

Nokelainen - Best Finn on the ice. Had plenty of ice time. Plays a strong game and isn't intimidated. Sent Gulasi head first into the boards during the 1st period. Bit of a dirty play as both players were skating for the puck, Petteri but his stick between Gulasi's skates and he went flying. Luckly he just suffered a bad cut as it could have been way worse. Besides a very weak stab at the puck that lead to the Olsez gaol, he had a stong game with some O chances and kept the Czech forwards in check.

Korpikoski and Tukonen were both practically invisible. Finns will have a strong team next year in Vancouver with 9 players eleigble to return.

Here is the game day thread.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=121356&page=1&pp=50

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Jan 2, 2005 WJC Semi Final Can 3: CZE 1

Frolik didn't stand out but neither did any skater on the CZE squad. He only had 3 shifts in the 1st as there were many PP for both sides. Again I saw Frolik supporting the puck in his own zone. On one particular play, He supported his own D deep in their end, the CZE's secured the puck and had a nice passing play out of their own end. Frolik's strong skating stride made it easy for him to breakout of the CZE zone and very quickly, he went from being in front of his own net to receiving a break away pass at the CAN blueline. Pass was a bit off and Frolik could not control it otherwise he would have had a scoring opportunity. Good skater and great positioning.

As the game wore on, the CZE's were really outplayed. Frolik ended up on the top line with Olsez and Vrana to generate some offense. Nothing became of it. There was one play late in the game where he was skating hard up the right hand boards into CAN's zone. He was thumped very hard into the boards by Weber, but he gave himself up to send a perfect pass to the front of the Canadian net. It was one of a very few opportunites for the CZE's in the game. He's certainly not afraid to work hard and pay the price to secure the puck and finish the play.

For a 1988 born player playing against a team full of 19 year olds (minus Crosby) he certainly held his own. He's going to be very good.

OT: Other game notes

Canada really dominated this game. They outshot CZE 42:11 and if it wasn't for a great game by Schwarz it could have been an 8 - 1 final. Even with Schwarz's play, Canada missed 2 open net and had a ton of chances but they missed the net shoting wide.

CAN

Weber and Phaneuf played huge games. Any CZE rush or O was completely turned back or stopped. They were both very impressive.

Crosby had an okay game. He should of had a hat trick. His linemates kept feeding him the puck in front of the net and he couldn't convert. Didn't get an sense of his playmaking or skating ability. He simply was content to set up in the O zone and try to receive passes.

Carter, Dawes and Getlaf where the best CAN forwards. lots of ice time, hustle and they played well.

CZE

Olsez had a good 1st period and scored a weak SH goal on Glass in the 3rd. The start of the game was very face paced and Olsez looked very comfortable as the play was up and down the ice. He can skate and has great skill with the puck. He didn't seem to mind the rough stuff this game.

Schwarz - As posted above, the player of the game.

Here is the game day thread :

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=121532

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Sergei Samsonov played excellent as an 18-year-old Detroit Viper in the now-defunct IHL against 22+ year olds. He was rookie of the year and defensive player of the year. He then was drafted early in the first round of the NHL draft and immediately became a coach and fan favourite, winning the Calder trophy as top rookie. (only injuries has slowed his production)

A youngster playing against older players and still dominating is a good sign.

Jussi Jokinen is doing it right now in Finland and many expect him to make the jump to the NHL.

Frolik I won't say anything because I haven't seen him play and discussing prospects you've never seen is inane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->