Frolik, Joensuu or Kessel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Having seen Michael Frolik for the last 2 games and Phil Kessel a few times during the tournament, for me there's no doubt as to who's better. Michael Frolik is in my opinion up there with the likes of Alexander Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby in terms of talent and grit, he's just a phenominal hockey player that's just going to get much better.

Phil Kessel was a close #2, a tremendous skill set and a wicked shot.

Jesse Joensuu is young, but he was mediocre in his performance.

Just wondering who you guys prefer.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Well you've seen him in one bloody tournament and you've seen him score one pretty goal!! Should that really be enough?

leafaholix*

Leachmeister2000 said:
Well you've seen him in one bloody tournament and you've seen him score one pretty goal!! Should that really be enough?
It's not just the goal, it's his play all together.

The guy's the youngest player in the tournament and he's often the best talent on the ice. It's obvious he's a tremendous player, he has the skills of a young Jaromir Jagr... and he's still a kid, he'll mature physically and I can't see why he wouldn't go #1 or 2 in a couple years.

At the start of period 2 tonight, he almost destroyed an American defenseman with a body check... but missed by a milisecond.

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
I have seen Michael Frolik and Jesse Joensuu, but not Phil Kessel.

Frolik has good skills and a great hockey sense. I have a hard time putting this guy in the same group with the likes of Malkin and Ovechkin. He is good but not phenomenal!

Jesse is a big boy who has solid mobility and a great attitude. He looks like a future 2nd-3rd line powerforward with 25-30 goals at best.

Although I haven´t seen Phil in action I have no doubt but to belive that he will be the best out of these three in the future. He has great american attitude to go with some nice skills. Top prospect!

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
With all due respect, I can't help but feel that putting Michael Frolik, as good as he is, in the same sentence as AO and Sid is a little bit of an exaggeration. I think Frolik fit more into the Top 3 kind of mold rather than the "Consensus #1 three years before his draft" sort of thing like those guys.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
haven't seen Kessel, but I'll definitely take Frolik ahead of the big Finn. A tremendous playmaker that looks to be very complete overall.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
Predatore said:
haven't seen Kessel, but I'll definitely take Frolik ahead of the big Finn. A tremendous playmaker that looks to be very complete overall.

Entirely agree, I saw Joensuu at the several tourneys and Frolik many times in Czech contests and definitely Frolik is better prospect.

X-SHARKIE

Fighter said:
Frolik
Kessel
Joenssu

Bingo.

Kessel is a top six forward and one of the most dyamic offensive talents at his age. I love Frolik because of his maturity on top of his elite skills. He doesn't look as fast as Kessel because his feet are as quick but his stride is a thing of beuty and it's so powerfull.

Hell Frolik is already killing pk's at this age.

Joensuu needs to work on footspeed but he does so many things well that he'll be an elite player to.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
a 2006 eligible player that everybody seems to forget is german forward felix schutz. he's not the same calibre as the three mentioned, but i think he's still someone to watch despite the horrible play of team germany. he could pretty much be drafted on the first day.
so it's not three 06 eligibles like written in the frolik article, it's four.

CH Wizard

Frolik : This guys is something SPECIAL !!! Did you see his goal against Switzerland ? WOW ! Skills and determination.He's the youngest player in the WJC btw.

Kessel : Very speedy and hardworking player.Has an AMAZING shot.

Joenssu: Special player !

kris

Jan 12, 2003
Calgary via Halifax
I've been extremely impressed with both Kessel and Frolik, but for some reason I have to give the edge to Kessel, but I've only seen the two in this tournament. Just my humble opinion. Kessel has a better shot (from what I've seen) and does a lot of stuff with top-end skill. Frolik has shown flashes of BRILLIANCE though, and is a VERY close #2 in my books. Both of them will be elite players, I am looking forward to seeing how both of these guys develop. Joenssu didn't really do anything to impress me, well, not as much as the other two. He is a step down.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
People forget that Joensuu is a much bigger guy (6'3) than those two others and it will most likely take him longer to fill out his frame and control his big body.

I believe next WJCs are much better indication about the level of these guys, however I'm pretty certain that GMs will rather take a big, talented potential powerforward over small skill guys despite them being potentially more talented.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Pepper said:
People forget that Joensuu is a much bigger guy (6'3) than those two others and it will most likely take him longer to fill out his frame and control his big body.

I believe next WJCs are much better indication about the level of these guys, however I'm pretty certain that GMs will rather take a big, talented potential powerforward over small skill guys despite them being potentially more talented.

Frolik wont be small. He is 6'00 at age 16. By the time he is 18 he could be 6'02.

That being said Joensuu has some talent but he isnt as far along in his development right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->