Friedman's 31 Thoughts with info on VGK's 11 "NHL" defenders

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-making-sense-matt-duchenes-situation/

Vegas has 11 defencemen on one-way contracts. The Golden Knights are an ideal trade partner, but it’s a bit of poker — other clubs might wait until waivers become a factor. Vegas had the hammer around the expansion draft and wielded it. Now, it’s the reverse.

Teams have to be down to final 23 man roster noon PT the day before season opener. Players would need to be on waivers (starting at 9am PT and ending 8:59am the following day) two days before opener.

So early October could be interesting.

Last edited:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Friedman btw!

I think inevitably there will be waivers and I think COL will scoop the best one for them. They have like 4 dmen right now and are in a place of flexibility to add anything and everything. Why trade a 3rd for Griffin Reinhart when there's a chance he is on the waiver wire?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'm guessing GMGM would prefer to get something for 3-4 guys who don't make NHL roster rather than lose them via waivers (for "nothing"). Heck even a 7th four years from now is better than nothing.

There's often some maneuvering around the last few days before season opener.

(Do realize that if guys DOES clear waivers, he can be recalled and cumulatively play 10 games and be on NHL roster for 30 days before he has to go through waivers again to be assigned to AHL.)

My guess is GMGM would prefer to move a couple of those guys and risk the others on waivers to have some experienced depth for injury recall (and AHL leadership).

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's better to get something, but we've got to remember that a lot of professional analysts expected GMGM to take 4-6 unsignable/unplayable players in the expansion draft. He got a couple of them, but took more players than many expected.

I hope he gets some picks if he can. Considering the route most expected him to take at the expansion draft, he just gets a longer look at some guys he might not have otherwise selected and getting picks is just the icing on the cake.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
The take in that article plays up the "payback" angle and it's a nice thought for the fans of the other teams that got strongarmed, but it's a bit of hyperbole tbh.

None of those blueliners are of the quality that are going to net him big return. Ones that would come with good returns are the guys he'll want to keep. Of those others there will be some who bring a little bit of competition by GMs that are more concerned with making their teams better than working some revenge angle.

The rest end up on the waiver wire. Whoopity effin do.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
A number of pundits have speculated that some of the (better player) guys GMGM picked will be trade bait before 2/26 TDL.

A lot may be decided based on how the team is playing through calendar 2017. If there's no chance of playoffs, the guys up for new deals may be dealt for prospects/picks.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
As long as Miller and Schmidt are kept, GM could waive the rest for all I care.

We're looking at 3rd or lesser picks for each of them. That might equate to 1 future NHL'er if 3 or 4 are moved considering the chances of those type of picks.

Take until this TDL to see who is willing / should stay at the latest, and start getting rid of the excess.

The two I mentioned above are untouchable unless for overpayment imo. I think they are the biggest candidates for break out on the back end too.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's pretty much goes without saying, but Theodore's probably more core than most any of the rest. Despite the fact he's likely starting off in Chicago.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Payback?

Keep the best 7 after training camp/preseason, trade the 8th best and dump the 9th to 11th as GARBAGE!

I agree. McPhee will probably get another late pick or two but that's about it.

The only problem with teams waiting for waivers is that they're at the mercy of where they are on the waiver ladder and the needs of the teams above them. If a team wants a surplus Vegas Defenseman they'd probably be better off talking trade before said D hit the wire.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They'll probably trade some at the deadline for picks/prospects. Think Theodore will be on the team and slowly earn his way to the top.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't think anybody's getting moved until Neal comes back off IR, unless Theodore turns some heads.

I think he starts with the Wolves for a week or two, then called up and one of Stoner/Sbisa gets traded. 13 forwards/8 defensemen; it's all about asset management this year.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Would he have to go through waivers in order to make it to Chicago> Would he clear?

Theodore is waiver exempt so there's no real issue there. That's why he's always the first one people mention going to Chicago.

I think Reinhart will go to Chicago too, he'll have to clear waivers and I'm fairly confident he will.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
They won't waive Reinhart, especially with Neal out. They kind of showcasing him playing with Theodore, same as they are showcasing McNabb playing with Schmidt. Once some D are traded there will be a need for Reinhart.
As it was mentioned before, there are some teams asking for D. McPhee won't forget this.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
They won't waive Reinhart, especially with Neal out. They kind of showcasing him playing with Theodore, same as they are showcasing McNabb playing with Schmidt. Once some D are traded there will be a need for Reinhart.
As it was mentioned before, there are some teams asking for D. McPhee won't forget this.

I think Reinhart is an easy guy to send down. He's living on draft position and is on his third team after being exposed in the expansion draft. If he doesn't make the team, I don't think there's any real risk of him getting picked up since he would have literally just gotten waived to the A by an expansion team.

He's not showing much, I think it's an easy call to send him down.

They took a shot on him and he is who everyone else thought he was. Chalk it up to a punt pick in the expansion draft.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I think Reinhart is an easy guy to send down. He's living on draft position and is on his third team after being exposed in the expansion draft. If he doesn't make the team, I don't think there's any real risk of him getting picked up since he would have literally just gotten waived to the A by an expansion team.

He's not showing much, I think it's an easy call to send him down.

They took a shot on him and he is who everyone else thought he was. Chalk it up to a punt pick in the expansion draft.

I think COL would claim Reinhart.
In Vancouver he had most hits, he didn't hit much years ago. Also played most PK minutes and was scored against twice only on 3on5, playing with Hunt, Tynan and Nosek, that's not bad.
In San Jose he played over 4 minutes PK again and was only scored against once on a 3on5.
Only 23 years old, still 2 years left to get better, 3 years younger than McNabb. I would trade McNabb before I waive and lose Reinhart.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I think COL would claim Reinhart.
In Vancouver he had most hits, he didn't hit much years ago. Also played most PK minutes and was scored against twice only on 3on5, playing with Hunt, Tynan and Nosek, that's not bad.
In San Jose he played over 4 minutes PK again and was only scored against once on a 3on5.
Only 23 years old, still 2 years left to get better, 3 years younger than McNabb. I would trade McNabb before I waive and lose Reinhart.

No one claims him because he's not NHL ready if he can't make it this year. Avs and other bad teams don't have a lack of bodies to put at the D position, they just lack plus players for the role. Nothing suggests this is a plus player so you are better off sticking with the guys you know and have control over.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Reinhart is bad VL. I don't know if you watched the preseason games so far but he's in a tier with Sbisa and Stoner for "why are they even here?"

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Reinhart is bad VL. I don't know if you watched the preseason games so far but he's in a tier with Sbisa and Stoner for "why are they even here?"

Yeah I think Hunt is above Reinhart on the depth chart, especially with Garrison probably being trade bait.

Aug 10, 2015
Wow, although I'm in the minority among Oiler fans, I was sorry to see Reinhart go to Vegas in the expansion draft. I would be amazed if Vegas waives him, and even more amazed if he clears waivers. I suspect if Edmonton had less depth at LD they wouldn't have made him available. I thought he played well in his limited showings over the last two years with Edmonton.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out...if the comments above are any indication, he will play this season with Colorado (and in my opinion, be very successful there).

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
IMG_0874.JPG
Reinhart had the best Corsi among vegas D this preseason
https://www.knightsonice.com/2017/9/26/16363284/in-defense-of-defensemen-griffin-reinhart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad