News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts: Habs Draft, Pacioretty, Jack Johnson & Mark Hunter

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
Im going to go on record and say..

IF Bergevin signs Jack Johnson.

I AM DONE WITH THE MONTREAL CANADIENS.

I will cancel my season tickets. I will burn everything and adopt a new team after 33yrs of fealty and loyalty.

I am very done with this incompetence and idiocy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

I will cancel my season tickets. I will burn everything and adopt a new team after 33yrs of fealty and loyalty.

MB has already done worse, way worse than sign Jack Johnson...the guy is a total clown...nothing would surprise me this off season, but as mentioned, he has already done way worse, than JJ.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I hate disingenuous pundits. They get paid to spread rumors but they never want to commit to anything they say and always want to qualify every rumour they monger so as to have plausible deniability later on. It's like when McGuire says "I can't talk about..." whatever it is that he's been brought on air to talk about. Either name names or GTFO. If you see something, say something. Otherwise you are of zero use to the public who are seeking information. All you're doing is muddying the waters.

Of course, the reason why these guys won't ever name names is because if they did their sources would dry up. Fine by me. I'd rather not know anything than know that there was something that I didn't know and would probably never get to find out. So if you're an "insider" either use your status to tell us something real or stay inside and leave us "outsiders" the hell alone.

In Mckenzie's case it's simple: either Johnson is on Montreal's radar or he's not. If you can't or won't tell us what you know, go back to your palatial estate in Whitby and don't tell us anything.

I experience the same level of disgust for these fence-sitters. If you can't name your source or take a definitive position, then GTFO.

And then you hear the same insiders who try and sound concerned about the Habs, pull the same stunt on other stations where they do their milk runs and essentially get paid for saying a whole lot of nothing while showing an inordinate amount of concern and care about the team that hails from the same area as the station they're being interviewed on.

It's a tired recipe but radio stations in the network are hungry for content and big name pundits. And when there is no content, they figure they have a big name on their show and it elevates their status with their audience, even if the insider is just recycling bunk. Nice gig if you can land it.

Reactions: 417 and Laurentide

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
How is Jack Johnson asking for 6mil a year?
11 points playing 19:30 minutes a game over 77 games and he's average only 16 points per seasons the last 3 years.
He hasn't dressed in the playoffs this year despite having a career 21 points in 23 games.
4mil is the highest I will go and hope to get at least a 2nd round pick at the deadline.

Nobody in the hockey media watches Columbus.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Isn’t Jack Johnson habs fan since childhood? Remember an article before the 2005 draft where he said he wanted the habs to draft him

Yes. He was a Habs fan growing up. He's apparently also good friends with Sidney Crosby.

JJ is not what we need.

Reactions: Maitz

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I experience the same level of disgust for these fence-sitters. If you can't name your source or take a definitive position, then GTFO.

And then you hear the same insiders who try and sound concerned about the Habs, pull the same stunt on other stations where they do their milk runs and essentially get paid for saying a whole lot of nothing while showing an inordinate amount of concern and care about the team that hails from the same area as the station they're being interviewed on.

It's a tired recipe but radio stations in the network are hungry for content and big name pundits. And when there is no content, they figure they have a big name on their show and it elevates their status with their audience, even if the insider is just recycling bunk. Nice gig if you can land it.
I'd like to know how one qualifies as an "insider" rather than just a regular media honk. Like this Peter Yannopoulos guy that does the NBA beat on Marinaro's show. What makes him an insider exactly? Here's his bio from LinkedIn. He was an assistant coach at UMass for one year and coached CEGEP before that. He's a self-proclaimed "insider" even though he has a day job working at the Apple store in Montreal.

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/peter-yannopoulos-01174511

The only way this "insider" gets "inside" an NBA arena is if he buys a ticket first.

Reactions: Runner77

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

good lord....MB has done much worse then this.....why wouldn't you be done after the alzner signing?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I honestly think they’re going to go with a defenceman. There’s to many good ones in the top 10 to pass up on for a winger. If we had a the second pick, that would be different.
I hope so, I really do. Makes me less upset about Sergachev.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I hope so, I really do. Makes me less upset about Sergachev.

I’ll still be upset about Sergachev, but a blue chip defenceman is more valuable to our team then a bluechip winger. I don’t think the talent of Zadina makes up for taking a winger over a defenceman, especially when defence is our biggest organizational need outside of center now. I guess we’ll see.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
good lord....MB has done much worse then this.....why wouldn't you be done after the alzner signing?

Well this is exactly it. If he hasn't learned from Alzner and signs JJ at a raise. That is just confirmation to me that no players want to come here and we can only get what nobody else will pay for. Then Im done. Then Im moving to Ontario. Salut/Buy. Im not paying for another Olympic Stadium roof, to boot! lmao

Edit. Regardsless, I think not drafting Hughes in this draft w0uld be a very big mistake.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Of course, the reason why these guys won't ever name names is because if they did their sources would dry up. Fine by me. I'd rather not know anything than know that there was something that I didn't know and would probably never get to find out.

If you'd rather not know anything then there's a simple solution, stop listening to insiders. Nobody is forcing you to read the rumors or watch the analysts on TV discuss potential trades.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Well this is exactly it. If he hasn't learned from Alzner and signs JJ at a raise. That is just confirmation to me that no players want to come here and we can only get what nobody else will pay for. Then Im done. Then Im moving to Ontario. Salut/Buy. Im not paying for another Olympic Stadium roof, to boot! lmao

Edit. Regardsless, I think not drafting Hughes in this draft w0uld be a very big mistake.

Don’t give up the season tickets. Sell them and wait for the team to improve then start showing up again. Unfortunately, Molson isn’t losing anything with people dropping season tickets, just makes room for the next guy to take your spot. Just stay away from merchandise or anything that profits the Canadiens if you want to take a stand.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Isn’t Jack Johnson habs fan since childhood? Remember an article before the 2005 draft where he said he wanted the habs to draft him

Yes. He was a Habs fan growing up.

giphy.gif

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
Don’t give up the season tickets. Sell them and wait for the team to improve then start showing up again. Unfortunately, Molson isn’t losing anything with people dropping season tickets, just makes room for the next guy to take your spot. Just stay away from merchandise or anything that profits the Canadiens if you want to take a stand.

This franchise hasn't had a good GM since Savard. They haven't had a #1 center since Pierre Turgeon. Chelios/Desjardins/McDonagh/PK/Sergachev.. Legacy errors. Im on my very very last nerve. This draft is beyond pivotal for my interest/desire. I won't tolerate anything other than a masterful performance from Bergevin & Co. No pressure. I think I might look good in Jets attire.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I’ll still be upset about Sergachev, but a blue chip defenceman is more valuable to our team then a bluechip winger. I don’t think the talent of Zadina makes up for taking a winger over a defenceman, especially when defence is our biggest organizational need outside of center now. I guess we’ll see.

The problem wasn't that we traded a defenceman for a winger, it's that overall we got worse. We replaced Radulov's offence with Drouin which was a downgrade and gave up our top prospect for that privilege.

Svart

Live Slow, Die Fat
Jul 5, 2006
I love the ones who say "IF HE DOES THIS I'M DONE WITH THE MONTREAL CANADIENS" and then he does it.. and they're not done with the Montreal Canadiens.

Reactions: CAR3YPR1CE and 417

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The problem wasn't that we traded a defenceman for a winger, it's that overall we got worse. We replaced Radulov's offence with Drouin which was a downgrade and gave up our top prospect for that privilege.

My problem was because it was a young defenceman with a ton of value and potential for a winger. It has nothing to do with Radulov, although that obviously hurt. The replacement value for wingers is as bad as goalies. Young defenders with top 2 potential and centers are like gold in this league. Drouin can’t be considered a replacement in my opinion because the trade was made while Radulov was still our property and in the plans moving forward. Negotiations just ended up going south with Radulov making Drouin appear to be a makeup for the production we’d be losing.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This franchise hasn't had a good GM since Savard. They haven't had a #1 center since Pierre Turgeon. Chelios/Desjardins/McDonagh/PK/Sergachev.. Legacy errors. Im on my very very last nerve. This draft is beyond pivotal for my interest/desire. I won't tolerate anything other than a masterful performance from Bergevin & Co. No pressure. I think I might look good in Jets attire.

I personally cannot hop off or cheer for anyone else. I’ll stick by this team regardless. I will however cut the spending on my collections. I bought gamecenter last year, and that’s where it ends.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Will you bother finding out how much he signs for?

What other moves happen?

Or is JJ's name on a Habs contract enough?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
My problem was because it was a young defenceman with a ton of value and potential for a winger. It has nothing to do with Radulov, although that obviously hurt. The replacement value for wingers is as bad as goalies. Young defenders with top 2 potential and centers are like gold in this league. Drouin can’t be considered a replacement in my opinion because the trade was made while Radulov was still our property and in the plans moving forward. Negotiations just ended up going south with Radulov making Drouin appear to be a makeup for the production we’d be losing.

If we had traded Sergachev for Kucherov would it still have been a bad trade because we traded a defenceman for a winger? Of course not. The problem is Drouin isn't that good by himself and the team overall got worse.

Reactions: jackeymoon

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If we had traded Sergachev for Kucherov would it still have been a bad trade because we traded a defenceman for a winger? Of course not. The problem is Drouin isn't that good by himself and the team overall got worse.

You know that’s not what I meant and you’re trying to bend the goal posts. But since you want to go that route, if a superstar winger was available, of coarse I’d make that trade. Drouin wasn’t that. Not even close. He had one playoffs and a season to his name and we gave him a long term deal while Galchenyuk whose been more productive got a bridge.

Reactions: jackeymoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad