Rumor: Friedman: Vancouver is a "stealth team" in the hunt for Noah Hanifin

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
The worse things about this fabricated rumor is that now Benning probably now got wind of it and will be all over it like a fat kid on a chocolate glazed donut offering up the 7th+ next years 1st for Hanifin. <insert Benning shocked face jpg with the words "Hanifin is available?!?" here>

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The old, here’s a pair of assets PLUS a 2nd rounder pick.

Basically a handful of stuff we won’t miss.

I think the only time in recent memory a deal close to this went down was the Kesler trade. And that was even a late 1st.

At very minimum, it starts with the 1st.

Yes that's why I wrote however that probably won't be enough

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Juolevi can’t be untouchable lol

Juolevi is the only young Potential top 4 in the system right now. So we trade one in a package and plus more assets to get a top pairing guy. So at the end of the day Canucks still have one good young D in the organization

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
No but we aint shopping Juolevi so theres that

That's not the point.

The point is a handful of middling pieces don't equal a premium piece.

You wouldn't trade Juolevi for 3 meh pieces, so don't suggest other teams would trade their valuable guys for the same.

Cassels, Baertchi, 3rd doesn't get you squat.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Cannot trade the 7th overall. We are just too terrible at drafting to give away any picks.

Virtanen 6OVR
Juolevi 5OVR
Hodgson 10 OVR

all crap. Need to keep all the picks we have cuz only 1/10 turns our for us.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I would do juolevi + 2nd for Noah

In no way shape or form would I give up our 7th for it.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The only way I would dare to trade the 7th overall is for a deal for PK Subban and have a stud D-man for the next half decade.

And then give JT like 13 mil a year LMFAO

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Would be a massive land. He fits in better with our new core than any other defenceman we would get at 7.

Would be a catastrophic acquisition because the buying team would have to pay high for youth and pedigree, not effectiveness.

Young or old, the question should be: Is the player good? That doesn't seem to be the focus with this type of target.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
He has not impressed me in his nhl career, I will be pretty upset if we go after him, it will be costly and likely involve the 7th overall.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
For me, I'm intrigued by Hanifin's untapped potential...he hasn't gotten much of a look on the top PP unit, hasn't pushed into the 20+ minute range and still managed over 30 points on the middle pairing as a 21 year old...I don't mind paying a good price for that type of potential, but I'm not interested in blowing up the farm to get it. I'd consider giving up the 7th (depending on who was available at the time) or Juolevi and some other asset like a Baertschi or Virtanen, but thats about where it ends for me. There is a good chance we get a player of the same (or better) caliber as Hanifin if we are willing to be patient.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
For me, I'm intrigued by Hanifin's untapped potential...he hasn't gotten much of a look on the top PP unit, hasn't pushed into the 20+ minute range and still managed over 30 points on the middle pairing as a 21 year old...I don't mind paying a good price for that type of potential, but I'm not interested in blowing up the farm to get it. I'd consider giving up the 7th (depending on who was available at the time) or Juolevi and some other asset like a Baertschi or Virtanen, but thats about where it ends for me. There is a good chance we get a player of the same (or better) caliber as Hanifin if we are willing to be patient.

I just vehemently disagree that a rebuilding team should trade the 7th overall in a draft loaded with D for one that may have some untapped potential but we have not seen at the nhl level so far. We need our picks, 7th overall should be like gold to a rebuilding team and we are in no rush, patience is of no issue for us.

Now juolevi maybe, but carolina probably wants more and I still dont like us rebuilding and chasing bigger name free agents, we should be building from within.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I just vehemently disagree that a rebuilding team should trade the 7th overall in a draft loaded with D for one that may have some untapped potential but we have not seen at the nhl level so far. We need our picks, 7th overall should be like gold to a rebuilding team and we are in no rush, patience is of no issue for us.

Now juolevi maybe, but carolina probably wants more and I still dont like us rebuilding and chasing bigger name free agents, we should be building from within.

But we have seen some of the potential, I just don't believe we just haven't seen it all of it...you don't put up 30 points as a 21 year old defenseman without showing some potential.

And I disagree that we "need our picks"...we need quality NHL players.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Hanifin is the exact type of player to go after, somebody who slipped through the depth charts, kind of like Hamuis. The cost may be high but if you aren’t willing to pay what we paid for Gudbranson you are a little crazy. A defenseman like Hanifin has a tonne of upside, is fairly decent where he is right now and has the potential to be better.

I would see who is available at 7, trade our pick if Wahlstrom or Hughes are gone ( Zadina too obviously ) and be willing to included one of Lind, Gadjovich or next years 2nd. If we could hang onto our 1st I’d move Gaudette, Demko or Dahlen +.

None of the Defensemen this year outside of Dahlin and Hughes are that exciting, of the big 4-boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes and Dobson I am willing to be 1 busts, 2 are 4-5 level and one is considered a good pick

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's one thing to trade a prospect like McCann and an early second rounder for a d-man like Gudbranson....but if you're giving up the seventh overall pick you'd have to be dead, set right on Hanifin. Hands up anyone who has any confidence in the ability of this Canucks management group to accurately assess prospect d-men on another NHL team?....track record is dismal.

They'd be far better off grabbing a d-man like Dobson, Hughes or Bouchard with the seventh pick and just wait for them to develop.

Reactions: Orca Smash

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
It's one thing to trade a prospect like McCann and an early second rounder for a d-man like Gudbranson....but if you're giving up the seventh overall pick you'd have to be dead, set right on Hanifin. Hands up anyone who has any confidence in the ability of this Canucks management group to accurately assess prospect d-men on another NHL team?....track record is dismal.

They'd be far better off grabbing a d-man like Dobson, Hughes or Bouchard with the seventh pick and just wait for them to develop.

And there is always the chance that the pick Benning makes is another gem like Virtanen or Juolevi. Nothing is a sure bet to succeed in this regime.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
It’s like being on a game show and choosing between what’s behind the curtain, what’s in the box and what’s behind the door. With really good management you usually have an idea but I agree the record has not been good enough to give you confidence in their ability to pull anything off

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
And there is always the chance that the pick Benning makes is another gem like Virtanen or Juolevi. Nothing is a sure bet to succeed in this regime.

So your saying because benning may screw up the draft we are better going with hanifin, again i just completely disagree with this line of thinking. And I am not as high on hanifins untapped potential as you are.

7th overall would be off limits for me.

Our pro scouting has been much worse then our amateur scouting. But that would be a benning move to pick up a 21-22 year old from another organisation that has not quite lived up to expectations to accelerate the rebuild, thats all he did when he first took over.

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
So your saying because benning may screw up the draft we are better going with hanifin, again i just completely disagree with this line of thinking. And I think your overrating hanifins potential here.

7th overall would be off limits for me.

Our pro scouting has been much worse then our amateur scouting.

No, I'm not saying that...I'm saying Benning may screw up anything he tries...I'm just open to the idea of trading for Hanifin if the price isn't too exorbitant. If you think I'm overrating Hanifin's potential then I would understand your reluctance to trade the 7th overall pick for him...but like I also said originally, for me it would also depend on who is still there at #7 before I decided to make that move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->