Rumor: Friedman: Vancouver is a "stealth team" in the hunt for Noah Hanifin

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hanifin is currently a very bad NHL player. And would be a perfect Benning target because he flashes impressive tools and pedigree while bleeding goals everywhere.

He's 21 and will get better and I would definitely kick the tires on him ... but Carolina is looking at moving him for a reason and this isn't a player you sell the farm for. Right now he's a very soft 3rd pairing defender who is a defensive liability.

Reactions: timw33

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Not sold on Hanifin as anything more than a second pairing guy, he's consistently bled goals while not playing super tough. He isn't very good, he could get better and he is still pretty young so you'd be foolish not to inquire, bu he's not a player you'd want to throw everything but the kitchen sink to to acquire. Slavin is the one out of Carolina I would target, 24 year stud #1 defender on a great contract.

Reactions: Sleestack

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Hanifin is currently a very bad NHL player. And would be a perfect Benning target because he flashes impressive tools and pedigree while bleeding goals everywhere.

He's 21 and will get better and I would definitely kick the tires on him ... but Carolina is looking at moving him for a reason and this isn't a player you sell the farm for. Right now he's a very soft 3rd pairing defender who is a defensive liability.

In light of Juolevi's "progress", would you pull the trigger if he was the main piece + a goalie for Hanifin and the Darling contract?

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Freidmann has become a Canadian hockey media degenerate like the rest of them. They start out well but eventually they all turn into Tony Gallagher

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
And nobody is even the slightest concerned as to why Hanafin is available in what is now deemed a rebuild in Carolina? Why is he not part of the “Aho” foundation?

Peculiar

Objective Scouting Reports on Hanafin’s current NHL game would be appreciated.

Fanboys tend to revert back to when and where said player was drafted as a guide for their unique way of manning up a scouting report on “current” game. I will not accept this

There is the potential for Keith “Buyout” Ballard 2.0 here. Do not want to see Benning make like the UVIC professor - Mike Gillis (4 seasons out the league and going)

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
And nobody is even the slightest concerned as to why Hanafin is available in what is now deemed a rebuild in Carolina? Why is he not part of the “Aho” foundation?

Peculiar

Fanboys tend to revert back to when and where said player was drafted as a guide for their unique way of manning up a scouting report on “current” game. I will not accept this

Hargraves also has some grave concerns about the fact that a recent top 5 pick from a stacked draft who is 21, is available. I was much more a fan of both Werenski and Provorov heading into that draft. So far they have been far superior to Noah.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
**** Hanifin. new management is trying to gauge the market on their players. They have some decisions pending as they have built a nice pool of talent and need to start filling roles and see where they invest the dollars as they are not a max cap spending team.

at this stage Hanifin is underachieving and if they could dupe a team into giving them a front line player for Hanifin who isn't tracking that way then that would be smart. Price for us is a front line forward ie Boeser Pettersson Horvat.............that's an easy no.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Peculiar

There is the potential for Keith “Buyout” Ballard 2.0 here. Do not want to see Benning make like the UVIC professor - Mike Gillis (4 seasons out the league and going)
I heard Hanifin gets a lot of cherry minutes (Ozone starts and PP) and he’s still a huge minus. The other D, except Faulk (he’s crap at defence too) have way better underlying stats, while taking the harder minutes. Hanifin is not Seth Jones.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I heard Hanifin gets a lot of cherry minutes (Ozone starts and PP) and he’s still a huge minus. The other D, except Faulk (he’s crap at defence too) have way better underlying stats, while taking the harder minutes. Hanifin is not Seth Jones.
I was just going to say this. He gets some pretty soft minutes (63.1% oZS, 36.9% dSZ).

I soured on him leading up to the draft. I’m not sure he’ll ever be a top pair guy. I hope 7th isn’t even in the discussion.

Gimme some Slavin instead.

Reactions: Luckylarry

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
Hmm seems like the Real Gud trade all over again . Young dman with draft pedigree available.... that doesn't really happen to often and we got burned once already. Honestly I haven't followed Hanafin closely but I know he hasn't tracked as well as hoped . Let's just keep the 7th boys and pick bpa even if Hughes and Dobson are off the board .

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Hmm seems like the Real Gud trade all over again . Young dman with draft pedigree available.... that doesn't really happen to often and we got burned once already. Honestly I haven't followed Hanafin closely but I know he hasn't tracked as well as hoped . Let's just keep the 7th boys and pick bpa even if Hughes and Dobson are off the board .

Agree. Now if we could build something around Gudbranson and maybe Virtanen, that’s a different story. But we shouldn’t be looking to swap the upside of the #7 for the “certainty” of an established NHL player.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Elliotte Friedman said the Canucks are a "stealth team for Noah Hanifan."

Mod insert - Thought #5 from Friedman's most recent 31 Thoughts:

This is pretty exciting news, but I'm not sure if we have the assets to make the trade. Without trading Horvat, Boeser, or Pettersson, who do we have? My guess is the 7th overall pick +?.

But + what? Demko? Gaudette + ? Sutter? Juolevi (which doesn't make sense). Virtanen+ ?

I would trade the 7th overall pick for Hanifan. I'm not sure how much more I would give though. I would be okay with Sutter being thrown in. Gaudette? Maybe. Throw in Demko? Eek. I'm very hesitant to do that. Same with Virtanen without more. Hanifan for Tanev + 2nd I think I will do.

I can't see the Canucks acquiring Hanifan without an overpayment (which might turn into a steal).

Are you out of your mind were not throwing in Gaudette cause he aint a throw in pal :facepalm:

We dont have enough good assets to trade for Hanifin. If we had more prospects on a higher level perhaps. Id consider something like Baertchi, a 2019 3rd, Cassells and Nielson

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I remember being impressed by Hanifin a couple of years ago..maybe he's regressed a bit..I will have to go on Ray Ferrrao's take "he's a really good player,but offensively limited",and we all know that the Canucks desperately need offence from the back end...Value wise,for the 7th OA..it seems fair.

Also,have to agree with other posters here,why are the Hurricanes dangling the 21 year old..Something smells a bit off...

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Are you out of your mind were not throwing in Gaudette cause he aint a throw in pal :facepalm:

We dont have enough good assets to trade for Hanifin. If we had more prospects on a higher level perhaps. Id consider something like Baertchi, a 2019 3rd, Cassells and Nielson

You’d actually *consider* giving up Cole Cassels, a 3rd round pick a year from now, AND our disappointing back up goalie?

You mad man.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Is that what you do on the boards Catbug? Take things seriously. Hargraves cant force you to lighten up but he strongly suggests it.

I’m no fan of Botchford or his tabloid style. Maybe you are a fan of his “work” and if so my condolences.

Not a fan of Botchford, but neither of weak insults. My point stands.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Moving the 7th for him would be absolutely idiotic.

Something like Baertschi, Dipietro and #35 I'd do but Carolina almost certainly wouldn't.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning's track record of acquiring "foundational" d-men, heck for that matter 'any' d-man, speaks for itself. They should just keep their pick and continue to rebuild. Besides, Hanifin is left-shooting d-man, and they need a top-four d-man on the right side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->