Speculation: Friedman speculates the possibility of Crawford being traded

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
All this talk about drafting goalies. What about going the Finnish FA route again and get another Niemi/Raanta? Speaking of the latter, was it Quenneville's handling of him that forced the hand of trading him out of town?

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
All this talk about drafting goalies. What about going the Finnish FA route again and get another Niemi/Raanta? Speaking of the latter, was it Quenneville's handling of him that forced the hand of trading him out of town?
Well the only options were trade him or waive him... so how does that connect?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
But tbh there’s really no argument to be had there. We had no cap to start the year and Kane’s injury is the only thing that opened the door for another acquisition. Vermette was the crown jewel of available forwards at the deadline and we already got him AND TT was more impactful than him in that playoffs IMO. You are not getting anyone to replace TTs production in that playoffs at under a mil without getting him in the draft or getting insanely lucky on a buy low candidate. Otherwise it’s just not possible. That’s why I really don’t think we have a cup that year if we had drafted Vasy as per your suggestion.

I forgot about Vermette. That team was stacked.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
:laugh:
Depends on the quality of the team D about 3-5 years down the road. By then the team should know what it has in the D-prospects. The 2010 'hawks team D could carry the likes of Neimi/Huet. The 2016-2019 'hawks team D needs a 4x6 cinderblock wall to carry their carcasses. Both are NHL teams and both have vastly different goaltending needs.

Laughingstock For Cinderblock

Reactions: MTP and LordKOTL

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

At the time Darling was outplaying him, and both he and Darling were coming due when Crawford was still in the middle of his deal and playing at a high level.

Plus, I think some of his comments (misconstrued or not) forced their hand.

Not ever goalie taken via that route makes it and as I mentioned if we're looking for a potential Crawford successor it has to be a goalie who can play behind *this* team defense--which is one of if not the worst in the league and definitely the worst a 'hawks team has had since MTV showed a video, the band Poison was relevant and Members Only™ jackets were in style. That's a tall order.

Not that I'd be against keeping all options open but personally I think the 'hawks trying to kill themselves to sign a goalie capable of carrying the team as-constructed for the next couple of years if a fool's errand--unless of course something happens/someone is acquired that makes the team D not a laughingstock. I think at this point they should be keeping to the script based on what is in net and developing/strengthening/shoring up their team D so that in a couple of years they can get a starter-average goalie and make a dent--not need elite goaltending just to tread water at the playoff line.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What's Crawford's actual trade value? 1st and a prospect?

He’d have to go on an extended tear to get that. Plus you have to figure any team that needs a goalie, Philly for example, isn’t doing well in the standings so their 1st is going to be a pretty good one.

If he doesn’t improve his play to the elite level it was last year, probably one good prospect or a 2nd and a decent prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad