News Article: Friedman says Detroit is "open for business"

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Hey guys, Habs fan coming in peace.

Just wanted to see if there's been any discussion around potentially moving Zetterberg? If so, what's his play been like this year and what might the ask be?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Just wanted to see if there's been any discussion around potentially moving Zetterberg? If so, what's his play been like this year and what might the ask be?

play has been fantastic

no chance he is moved

he is the captain, heart and soul and epitomizes what it means to be a red wing

plus his contract would hurt us soooo much

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Z has been the best player on the ice. He's a warrior. I would hate to trade him. And his contract screws the Wings if he were to retire early. I don't think the Wings would trade him even if they should/could.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

While it would make me sad to see Z playing for another team, he absolutely deserves to end his career on a playoff team. I'm not sure he'll ask for a trade or that Holland would trade him even if he did, but his play this season has been very good all things considered. I can see some team on the cusp parting with a late 1st/early 2nd pick, if we retain some of his salary hit. Dunno, some people on here are much more savvy at predicting trades than I am. Hope that helped.

P.S. Yes the recapture clause would have to be part of the discussion, so if he's able to LTIRetire safely on his new team, a trade should definitely be an option.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Just wanted to see if there's been any discussion around potentially moving Zetterberg? I

There's absolutely no indication the Wings have even thought about moving any of their big name veterans, particularly Zetterberg.

The Wings will re-tool and try to make the playoffs next year. Ken Holland isn't going to move Zetterberg unless he gets a request from him directly. And there's nothing to indicate that will ever happen.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
While it would make me sad to see Z playing for another team, he absolutely deserves to end his career on a playoff team. I'm not sure he'll ask for a trade or that Holland would trade him even if he did, but his play this season has been very good all things considered. I can see some team on the cusp parting with a late 1st/early 2nd pick, if we retain some of his salary hit. Dunno, some people on here are much more savvy at predicting trades than I am. Hope that helped.

P.S. Yes the recapture clause would have to be part of the discussion, so if he's able to LTIRetire safely on his new team, a trade should definitely be an option.

Zero chance Zetterberg gets moved. I'll bet a pallet of beer on that one.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Uh-uh, I'm not buying that these guys can't be moved. And if we're really wanting a rebuild we need those guys moved.
Speaking only for myself, I'm hoping to sit on a few of these "unmovable" contacts for 2-3 years while accumulating picks from deadline deals when possible.

If a few high picks start to pan out, the youth will begin to ascend as the Helms of the world come off the books (or even get dealt in their final year).

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Z is still good enough to put a good team over the top as far as cup contention. If someone wants him they should have to pony up a very hefty ransom, because for this year's playoffs the guy is still a very formidable player and as a 2nd or even 3rd line center on a contending team he will contribute a boat load. His numbers this year are very good and that is no illusion, he's been our best player by a wide margin. He's slowed down but his play making and drive seem to be what they've always been, and the guy can protect the puck like nobody's business.
I would expect a first and one or two very solid, high end prospects because this is a guy that would make a contending team a favorite, he's still that good at this moment in time.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Speaking only for myself, I'm hoping to sit on a few of these "unmovable" contacts for 2-3 years while accumulating picks from deadline deals when possible.

If a few high picks start to pan out, the youth will begin to ascend as the Helms of the world come off the books (or even get dealt in their final year).

Or not and we keep getting high picks year after year for a few while the long-term contracts expire. I'm perfectly fine with that kind of a rebuild as long as it's always youth-centered. No matter how bad it gets with a young team, it's still more exciting to watch than a Frankenstein monster stitched together with overpaid veterans :handclap:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Anyone know if Justin Spiro on twitter is a semi-reliable/reliable source? He's saying Holland is asking for 2 first rounders or a first rounder and good prospect for Vanek...lol

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Yeah I think it's good to start high, but it might be why Dreger was saying there's not much interest. I doubt many teams will be interested at 1st + good prospect. That would be something like 1st + Goldobin from San Jose. If that happened I'd be off the wall.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Z is still good enough to put a good team over the top as far as cup contention. If someone wants him they should have to pony up a very hefty ransom, because for this year's playoffs the guy is still a very formidable player and as a 2nd or even 3rd line center on a contending team he will contribute a boat load. His numbers this year are very good and that is no illusion, he's been our best player by a wide margin. He's slowed down but his play making and drive seem to be what they've always been, and the guy can protect the puck like nobody's business.
I would expect a first and one or two very solid, high end prospects because this is a guy that would make a contending team a favorite, he's still that good at this moment in time.

The Wings can't trade him. If they trade him right now... Here's what it could look like in a couple years...

Cap Benefit: $11,983,336.

This number would be locked in for Detroit (as Z would technically be "retiring" from Detroit for the purposes of this calculation)

Retires summer 2017: ~$3M for the next four years.
Retires summer 2018: ~$4M for the next three years
Retires summer 2019: ~$5.95M for the next two years
Retires summer 2020: ~$11M for the 2020-2021 season.

If he's still putting up .60-.80 PPG somewhere, they're not gonna want Z to quit, and they're paying him pennies on the dollar for it. And hell, even if he sucked... they'd be worth keeping him on for at least two years (17-18, 18-19) so they don't get hit by any recapture themselves. So, you're basically guaranteeing that Zetterberg's full cap hit will be on the books until the end of his contract. Good call.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I honestly wouldn't even consider trading Z, but if we were the only way I can see it working is if we included some crazy condition on it that if he retires before 2021 we get like ten first round picks or something insane so the team we traded him to would be extremely incentivized to keep him in the lineup and then LTIRetire him.

Under that circumstance I guess from an objective point of view it would be worth it to move him, but honestly I don't think I could ever watch Z play for another team. Just no. Take anyone but Zetterberg. He might be old and breaking down but he means too much to the team, to the fans, to me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Z's going to play 100% of his career for Detroit.

Get outta here with your craziness. La la la, I can't hear you.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Kevin Weekes‏Verified account @KevinWeekes

I'm told @DetroitRedWings holding Ott out of lineup tonight, @CanadiensMTL could be among interested teams @NHL @NHLNetwork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad