News Article: Friedman says Detroit is "open for business"

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
4. Heard through the gossip line that a few teams had reached out to Detroit about Andreas Athanasiou when there were some battles over his ice time. Red Wings GM Ken Holland wouldn’t comment, but another team indicated he told them not to even bother asking unless “a 22-year-old top-pair defenceman†was part of the conversation. The Wings have told clubs they are “open for business,†but won’t consider moving any of their young offensive cornerstones unless that kind of player is potentially available. My sense is the same goes for Petr Mrazek. Thomas Vanek likely goes (and could come back in the summer). They will discuss re-signing Brendan Smith in the next few days before a decision on trading him.

5. I’m also not certain Detroit will trade Mike Green. He’s got one year to go on his contract, and they need offence from the defence. He delivers. In fact, it’s possible they discuss a short extension, as he’s eligible for a new deal on July 1.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-red-wings-telling-teams-theyre-open-business/

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Per usual, a mixed bag.

Nice to see more indications of not only thinking about selling, but being actively interested in selling.

Frustrating to hear any notion of equating AA and a young, top pairing defenseman. Mantha isn't necessarily worth that, let alone AA.

Hopefully the latter comment is just posturing, and there's plenty of activity related to the former.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Oh god. I hope Holland isn't asking for too much for his UFAs. That's a crazy price for AA.
Guys, I tried! I really really tried! But I couldn't get Chicago to trade me Patrick Kane for Brendan Smith, so I guess I like our team. ;)

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Per usual, a mixed bag.

Nice to see more indications of not only thinking about selling, but being actively interested in selling.

Frustrating to hear any notion of equating AA and a young, top pairing defenseman. Mantha isn't necessarily worth that, let alone AA.

Hopefully the latter comment is just posturing, and there's plenty of activity related to the former.

It makes no logical sense to trade AA or Mantha for anything other than a young top pairing defenseman or young top line player.

It's not that Mantha or AA are worth a top pairing young defender (they aren't), it's that trading them for anything less than that is simply a lateral move at best and it makes more sense to simply hold onto them and gamble on them taking their games to the next level if a team isn't going to blow you away with an offer.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Looks like Vanek is the only lock to get traded. Pretty disappointing, this was a good opportunity for Holland to stockpile some picks for trades during the summer or to load up on some prospects.

I really hope Holland takes building the team seriously this offseason and hopefully his plan of trying to make the playoffs while rebuilding can be expedited by this trade deadline and offseason. Holland not trading Smith and Vanek and a bunch of others would just prolong the rebuild unnecessarily.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I want picks too, but what Holland said isn't a bad thing.

I wouldn't trade none of Larkin, Mantha, AA, or Mrazek unless a young top pair defenseman comes back. There's literally no point otherwise. I mean, c'mon people...

I still expect Smith, Jurco and Vanek to be traded. I assume Holland wants a short and cheap deal for Smith because he's just bad. Holland knows this and is trying to see if Smith budges.

I wouldn't have traded Green regardless... Unless a 2018 1st is coming back.

I do wish Holland accepts the fact that keeping BOTH of Tatar and Nyquist is a bad thing. I hope he changes his tune about them.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I see no reason to trade Green this season during a weak draft. 2018 will be better.

Why you keep trotting out this rubbish? Just because teh top 3 picks arent McDavid/Matthews/Laine level doesnt make an entire draft weak. Unless you thought somehow we were getting a top 3 pick for 1 year of Mike Green somewhere?

People astound me sometimes.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It makes no logical sense to trade AA or Mantha for anything other than a young top pairing defenseman or young top line player.

It's not that Mantha or AA are worth a top pairing young defender (they aren't), it's that trading them for anything less than that is simply a lateral move at best and it makes more sense to simply hold onto them and gamble on them taking their games to the next level if a team isn't going to blow you away with an offer.

Completely agree with this.

Both AA and Mantha are young, full of potential, and producing at a rate that exceeds the average production of 2nd round picks. If you're not getting a 1st rounder or better back, it makes no sense to trade them.

It'd be one thing if they were 30. If they're 30 they're not going to stick around when we're done with our rebuild so trade them now for picks, sure. But that's not the case.

And as you said, they might well find another level in which case they'll either be an integral part of the team's future core or be worth far far more than some middling pick or prospect.

Guys I want on the trading block:

Smith, Vanek, Green, Helm, Abby, Howard, Jurco, Sheahan, Nielsen, Kronwall, Ericsson.

All completely expendable to me. Either they have no spot on the team, or they're old and might bring a good return, or they're old and bad.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

That same thinking is why Nyquist and Tatar are still here, and they haven't brought in a good defenseman since Brad Stuart.

AA for a good #3 defenseman would be a great move. If they somehow could get a #2 blue liner for him, I'd do backflips.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Oh god. I hope Holland isn't asking for too much for his UFAs. That's a crazy price for AA.

Guys, I tried! I really really tried! But I couldn't get Chicago to trade me Patrick Kane for Brendan Smith, so I guess I like our team. ;)

I know it's popular to dump on Holland around here for sneezing the wrong way, but why should we be trading AA for anything less than in a package for a young defenseman? There's no reason to trade a young, unproven player like AA unless it's for something of need.

Trading him for a #3 isn't anything more than a lateral move and makes no sense when looking to build for the future.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
That same thinking is why Nyquist and Tatar are still here, and they haven't brought in a good defenseman since Brad Stuart.

AA for a good #3 defenseman would be a great move. If they somehow could get a #2 blue liner for him, I'd do backflips.

Yeah and the same still holds true. It made more sense to hold onto them then trade them for a 2nd round pick in hopes you can even draft another Tatar or Nyquist. Most 2nd rounders don't even turn into a Nyquist...what sense does it make to trade for a pick and draft someone that odds show more than likely won't even be as good as Nyquist?

I'm not sure how getting another Danny DeKeyser helps the team now or in the future. They need better players than that to change their outlook. It makes more sense to gamble on a 22 year old Mantha progressing and becoming a top line winger than trading for Danny DeKeyser 2.0 and barely improving the team. And a #2 blue liner would be a top liner,,,which is what the article said.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Why you keep trotting out this rubbish? Just because teh top 3 picks arent McDavid/Matthews/Laine level doesnt make an entire draft weak. Unless you thought somehow we were getting a top 3 pick for 1 year of Mike Green somewhere?

People astound me sometimes.

Mark my words, this draft is going to rival 2012. Look up that draft on Wikipedia.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Mark my words, this draft is going to rival 2012. Look up that draft on Wikipedia.

Plenty of good players from that draft would be huge upgrades on this team. Now that Tyler Wright has taken over, let's hope he picks the impact players. I really hope we don't continue to play it safe with the picks, we need to take players with the most talent.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I know it's popular to dump on Holland around here for sneezing the wrong way, but why should we be trading AA for anything less than in a package for a young defenseman? There's no reason to trade a young, unproven player like AA unless it's for something of need.

Trading him for a #3 isn't anything more than a lateral move and makes no sense when looking to build for the future.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...anager-ken-holland-bizarre-stance-trade-calls

McKenzie: #RedWings "are getting lots of calls on defenseman Brendan Smith." 1/2

— Chris Nichols (@NicholsOnHockey) February 21, 2017
McKenzie: Before #RedWings potentially trade Brendan Smith, they're going to talk to his reps this week about cost of poss. extension. 2/2

Holland is exactly as bad as we say he is.

As for AA? He's got Nyquist 2.0 written on him. Good until the other team's defense figure him out. If they can package him for #2-3 young D-man it will at least add depth the D that is mostly borderline NHL level d-men.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

I guess it depends on what you see in AA. I'm still not convinced he's going to be a top line player. I'm not sure his defensive game is good enough.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...anager-ken-holland-bizarre-stance-trade-calls

Holland is exactly as bad as we say he is.

As for AA? He's got Nyquist 2.0 written on him. Good until the other team's defense figure him out. If they can package him for #2-3 young D-man it will at least add depth the D that is mostly borderline NHL level d-men.

Thankfully we have sites like WIIM to offset the sunshine boys on the beat. This sums it up perfectly:

Yes, this is a bizarre tactic for a team who is sailing in uncharted waters right now. What Ken Holland needs to do is orchestrate a string of sensible transactions to put this team in a position to assume what needs to be done. If there is an offer on the table for a player like Brendan Smith that includes draft picks or prospects, the trigger must be pulled.

Replace Smith's name with Helm and Abdelkader and you have the correct move. Make the trade and punt on guys where the value has nowhere to go but off a cliff. :help:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If this franchise had been as competent at acquiring defensemen over the last decade as they were with middle six wingers, I'd agree.

But I believe it's easier for the Wings to find another AA than to find a #2/#3 defenseman.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Holland wouldn't be the first one to set the bar very high for his younger players, and I suppose I'd rather have him overestimate our guys than underestimate them.

But I really hope he means "top pairing potential" in this scenario. Because obviously no team is trading a 22 year old established top pairing defenseman for Andreas Athanasiou. I mean those guys don't even really get moved to begin with. Even Seth Jones was like a #3-#4 guy at the time he was traded. A couple highlight reel goals and nice per 60 stats don't net you top pairing defenseman.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I see no reason to trade Green this season during a weak draft. 2018 will be better.

You can trade this year for picks next year. Next year he will be an expiring UFA and have less trade value at the deadline.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We could always trade him this year for a 2018 1st round pick.

yep, and if someone is willing to pony up now he likely has more trade value because of the year left on his deal. What's going to throw a wrench into it is the expansion draft and teams looking forward to protection slots.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If this franchise had been as competent at acquiring defensemen over the last decade as they were with middle six wingers, I'd agree.

But I believe it's easier for the Wings to find another AA than to find a #2/#3 defenseman.

well, a #2 should be top pairing quality. I mean, if we are looking at a young Rafalski or Kronwall level player, we have no reason to complain. If we're looking at another Dekeyser or even Stuart...no thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad