Rumor: Friedman links NYR to IIHF suspended F Zaripov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would think the Rangers are waiting to see how training camp plays out with the younger D--notably DeAngelo, Bereglazov, Pionk and Graves and maybe even Day before they make a decision on what to do with Holden. Even Staal's play during training camp might factor into that. Having two rookie D playing regularly as well is not a thing that most competitive teams can get away with. But anyway I don't suspect Holden is going to be moving until more is known.

On Zaripov and Jagr--I have doubts about both and if I signed either I'd keep the term down and $2 mil or under. They are both risks AFAIC. The Rangers do need more forward depth though.

They ended up with two rookies on the roster in 2010-11 and also had 2 sophomores there as well. After Rozy got dealt, Girardi was the oldest D at 26 until they brought in McCabe. They traded Rozy after he got hurt and McDonagh came in and essentially stole his spot.

So you may be right. I don't think the idea of two rookies is a big roadblock, but the team might want to make sure that two rookies are even capable of playing first.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Offer Jagr $2 million max with bonus incentives upwards of $750K-$1Million that rollover into next year.

Jagr is a known commodity. He has had success in the NHL. A future HoFer. Zaripov. He is a flash in the pan who has never made the jump to the NHL. He is 36 years old and can skate. Producing in the KHL means nothing to me. There are countless players who have produced there who never succeeded in the NHL. Nigel Dawes being just one name that comes to mind.

Sign me up for Jagr.

Go into camp like this:

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Nash-Hayes-Zucc
Vesey-Miller-Jagr
Boo-DD/LA-Grabner
Puempel

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like Jagr and wouldn't mind him on the team but I'm leery of rolling over bonuses. We have Girardi's buyout ballooning to $3.6M and then potentially another million and a half (I believe) for Staal if we bought him out. $5M in dead space isn't ideal and I'd rather not have to devote another $1M or whatever in cap space for someone not on the team.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like Jagr and wouldn't mind him on the team but I'm leery of rolling over bonuses. We have Girardi's buyout ballooning to $3.6M and then potentially another million and a half (I believe) for Staal if we bought him out. $5M in dead space isn't ideal and I'd rather not have to devote another $1M or whatever in cap space for someone not on the team.

Yeah, but OTOH you only roll over bonuses if you had no room under the cap -- right? There is room to take on a bonus contract with some room left for the deadline, and then make a decision if you want to go up against the cap and hence have the bonuses roll over or if you want to wait.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, but OTOH you only roll over bonuses if you had no room under the cap -- right? There is room to take on a bonus contract with some room left for the deadline, and then make a decision if you want to go up against the cap and hence have the bonuses roll over or if you want to wait.

Oh, if that's how it works then yeah I'd have no problem with it.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Offer Jagr $2 million max with bonus incentives upwards of $750K-$1Million that rollover into next year.

Jagr is a known commodity. He has had success in the NHL. A future HoFer. Zaripov. He is a flash in the pan who has never made the jump to the NHL. He is 36 years old and can skate. Producing in the KHL means nothing to me. There are countless players who have produced there who never succeeded in the NHL. Nigel Dawes being just one name that comes to mind.

Sign me up for Jagr.

Go into camp like this:

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Nash-Hayes-Zucc
Vesey-Miller-Jagr
Boo-DD/LA-Grabner
Puempel

Not saying I am on board with Jagr but Vesey-JT-Jagr could be a possession monster

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We would not waive a player that put up good stats last season and that we paid a mid level draft pick to get a mere year ago. But we could get a return that trumps that by a little - if lucky.

Was looking at worst-case scenario. If NYR couldn't move Holden they would just waive him and get the cap relief. I agree that Holden should bring back at 3rd, especially at his salary

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If Zaripov can't make the team, I'm sure he could easily a) be waived or b) agree to contract termination so he can go make a paycheck somewhere else.

I'm a little intrigued. His numbers (for KHL) are outstanding. And his playoffs last year are eye popping. Why not take a flyer here?

I'm not in the Jagr camp. He was the slowest player in the league last year and I don't think you can trust anyone who's as old as me on a top tier team.

Completely different situations. Not an either or in my eyes.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Jagr and the Flames were at a 1 year 3.7 million contract last I heard

The team (Rangers) can't afford that, and I am not sure he comes down on his price

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
... Zaripov. He is a flash in the pan who has never made the jump to the NHL. He is 36 years old and can skate. Producing in the KHL means nothing to me. There are countless players who have produced there who never succeeded in the NHL

Not sure what you meant to say, with the 'flash in the pan' comment, but that term doesn't fit a player who's been a proven KHL goal scorer for 15 years and represented Russia at ~7 WCs and an Olympics.

I love Jagr, wish he never left, but he and this guy may be worlds apart in 2017, if those YouTube highlight reels ( yes I understand they are highlights) are recent and representative if his game.
36 isn't too old for all players.

Just because he hasn't come over sooner, does not automatically mean that he is not qualified and will not succeed.

The guy in those clips could definitely help NYR, if that really is how he still plays. His very strong '17 playoff indicates he is still that good

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Since Jagr came back from the KHL for the 11-12 season he's had one goal in 39 playoff games. Four of the last 5 seasons his team has missed the playoffs. As a passenger player he could be useful but if anyone is actually looking him as being the main player on a scoring line forget it. The one goal in 39 playoff games makes me wonder about how he stands up when the games get faster and more intense.

He has a unique ability to hang onto the puck and make scoring plays. The faster the action over the 200' length of ice is the more he's marginalized. A coaching staff would have to manage his minutes and control the situations it puts him into and he'd have to be alright with it. IMO he would also need to play as much as possible with a very defensively responsible linemate and preferably that would be his center. I like Jaromir but I wonder if his 45 points is worth spending a lot of money on. I think he was at $4 mil last year. That is way too much for a player at his age who is super slow and will need someone covering for him every time he loses his check.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
He broke the Foo to Calgary story. Not really too random.

That is all he broke as far as I can see. I don't have the time to go through every tweet the guy has ever sent. But, from what I do see everything else has been a swing and a miss. Expect a bunch of PTOs to be signed this week? No **** sherlock. Training camp starts soon.

If Jagr ends up signing in Calgary for the rumored amount (or even close to it), I will give credit where credit is due. Until then, he just appears to be some guy who may have had a connection to the Foo signing with no other real sources.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Bringing in this guy reminds me of when the Rangers brought in a 38-year-old Vaclav Nedomansky in 1982. That lasted like all of 20+ games :laugh:

I like this reference!!! :)

I've heard his name and he was quite the legend in Czech hockey.. I can just imagine how it was -- a real NYR signing.

Is thirtyone thirtyone or just some random dude with his nick?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Craig Custance wrote the Rangers have backed off on pursuing Zaripov

That’s the initial hope, but the pool of Stanley Cup contenders isn’t usually one that can spend money in free agency at this point in the year. The Dallas Stars and Chicago Blackhawks are capped out. Penguins center Evgeni Malkin would likely love to have him on his wing, but a Pittsburgh source indicated that the Penguins were “probably” not interested in him at this point. The Rangers have backed off after showing early interest.

He certainly can provide offense but his age has caused trepidation from some around the league.

“He’s highly-regarded,” said one Western Conference executive. “Age would be the big thing for teams looking at him. If we were talking about a North American free agent who was 36, we’d all be saying he’s too old.”

“He’s got decent hands and a decent offensive mind,” said an NHL GM. “But I’m not going to take a flyer on him. I don’t see the upside.”

One talent evaluator said Zaripov is a guy who would definitely help a power play and is strong below the hashmarks.

“It’s going to be based on fit,” he said. “But it’s a free player.”

That’s the upside. Zaripov is a player who can add offense and a club wouldn't have to give anything up to sign him. For contending teams, he’s someone who has proven he can succeed on the biggest stages. For rebuilding teams, he may just become a one-year player who gets flipped at the deadline.

https://theathletic.com/91224/2017/08/29/how-the-danis-zaripov-suspension-impacted-the-red-wings/

The Athletic will have an awesome NHL portal. I heard Custance talking about the website on Bob Stauffer's show in Edmonton last week. He is putting together the NHL coverage. $60 per year. $5 per month. They had a 50% special. I paid $30. $2.50 per month. Mike Russo is going there. Sign up.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I just wish they released TheAthleticNYC. Would be a huge undertaking due to the amount of teams this would involve, but I think it would be a huge success and draw in a lot of $$$$$$$$

I trust Custance and his sources. Oh well, was nice to think about.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I just wish they released TheAthleticNYC. Would be a huge undertaking due to the amount of teams this would involve, but I think it would be a huge success and draw in a lot of $$$$$$$$

I trust Custance and his sources. Oh well, was nice to think about.

Alex and Adam gave me an overview of their big-picture plans, and their appetite for expansion was impressive. If they could accomplish half of what they hoped, I thought, they have a good shot at success. Since that meeting a lot has changed. I took on a small role as The Athletic's editorial advisor. New city outposts were opened in Toronto (November 2016), Cleveland (March 2017), Detroit (July 2017) and the San Francisco Bay Area (August 2017), with Philadelphia up next (September 2017). Additionally, in short order, there will be bureaus launched in the NHL's six other Canadian cities (Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, and Winnipeg), plus more hockey coverage across the U.S.

https://theathletic.com/86695/2017/08/23/whats-next-for-the-athletic-glad-you-asked/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->