Friedman 31 Thoughts (Jets)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The bold part is the issue. Why are they so desperate to have the Leafs playoff games on Saturday nights? If the Leafs are such a massive draw why not put them on a Friday and get the bonus bump putting a Jets game on Saturday? it all seems very unsophisticated. I'd love to see some numbers that supports this model.

I suspect they proceed on some little questioned assumptions. All being based and centred in TO, confirmation bias probably plays a big part in their decision making. I don't think it makes sense to base them anywhere else though. They just need to start trying a little harder to think about these issues more deeply.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Actually, the original complaint was that there were zero out of 31 thoughts on the Jets - the only team in Canada advancing in the Playoffs. You don't have a degree in fact checking, I take it.

He didn’t say much about any of the surviving teams. Most of it was talking about the deposed teams.

Whining about SN not giving us biased play-calling. Whining about Friedman not tossing the Jets a paragraph in his blog. Good Lord.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
He didn’t say much about any of the surviving teams. Most of it was talking about the deposed teams.

Whining about SN not giving us biased play-calling. Whining about Friedman not tossing the Jets a paragraph in his blog. Good Lord.

And you think Friedman was planning to write an article on the eliminated teams all week and then, as luck would have it - the Leafs were eliminated, giving him a goldmine of material to work from?

No idea what your second paragraph is about. I have never said a word about play calling.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Actually I think the complaint was that SN give us some un-biased play calling.

Also, criticising a so called national writer for penning an entire column of 31 separate thoughts centred solely on a Canadian team that was just eliminated from the playoffs, while the only other Canadian team is preparing to play it's first second round playoff game since it's relocation is fair game.

The comments aren't about Friedman throwing us a bone, its about him pandering to the Eastern market and being lazy. He used to be a lot more interesting, he just isn't anymore.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Actually I think the complaint was that SN give us some un-biased play calling.

Also, criticising a so called national writer for penning an entire column of 31 separate thoughts centred solely on a Canadian team that was just eliminated from the playoffs, while the only other Canadian team is preparing to play it's first second round playoff game since it's relocation is fair game.

The comments aren't about Friedman throwing us a bone, its about him pandering to the Eastern market and being lazy. He used to be a lot more interesting, he just isn't anymore.

He was pandering to the Eastern market? He threw about five paragraphs about our defeated neighbors, the Minnesota Wild.

Y’know, when a team gets elminated, it’s actually timely to discuss what went wrong, what moves they will make etc. Plenty of time to yak about the Jets. If the Jets get eliminated, I would imagine several blurbs in the ensuing article.

How many paragraphs on any of the second round teams? Zero (unless you want to include the one about Marchand licking someone).

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He was pandering to the Eastern market? He threw about five paragraphs about our defeated neighbors, the Minnesota Wild.

Y’know, when a team gets elminated, it’s actually timely to discuss what went wrong, what moves they will make etc. Plenty of time to yak about the Jets. If the Jets get eliminated, I would imagine several blurbs in the ensuing article.

How many paragraphs on any of the second round teams? Zero (unless you want to include the one about Marchand licking someone).
When a team gets eliminated it's a long off season, plenty of time to speculate about what went wrong and what changes might be made. Freidman jumped on it quickly to try to preserve the appearance that he still knows wtf he is talking about. He's become a throw it against the wall and see what sticks guy.

I guess if what happens to Jake Gardiner over the next 5 months is a pressing issue, Fried is your guy. I'd rather read about what's happening on the ice in the next couple of days with a still relevant team.

None

Feb 22, 2012
31 Thoughts, The Podcast: Kyle Dubas and the hardest trophy to win in hockey - Sportsnet.ca

Around 19:30 they mention that there was a sign at the Whiteout party related to Subban being a bush camper in Fortnite. Afterwards they talk about gaming and its impact among junior aged players.
Specifically a story from Jeff Marek who says that a player drafted by a "very, very prominent NHL team" taken in the 1st round "who probably won't make the NHL because of a video game addiction." The latter quote sounded like verbatim of what Marek was told by the player's junior team's GM.

Marek says it was 6-12 month old story, so probably a 2015 or 2016 drafted player, and the player is a very good CHL player. There's been some discussion/speculation on who it could be. The only real possibility from the Jets would be Stanley, but all I've ever heard about him is that he's a rink rat and not the type of guy who sits at home.

Given that the audience for 31 thoughts is primarily Canadian it's probably safe to assume you can eliminate probably 2/3 of the league's draft picks from the "very, very prominent NHL team" category. It'd be pretty interesting if it was one of the 2 players from Boston's 2015 draft that haven't played in the NHL yet when they passed on both Matthew Barzal and Kyle Connor for them.

Polar Vortex

Jul 4, 2012
My sisters ex bf was recruited by and received a scholarship to Arizona State to play DT. He ended up losing his scholarship because all he did was play madden lol. Wasn't the brightest kid.

None

Feb 22, 2012
My sisters ex bf was recruited by and received a scholarship to Arizona State to play DT. He ended up losing his scholarship because all he did was play madden lol. Wasn't the brightest kid.

Pitcock: NFL teams are afraid I might relapse

This guy got a bit further than college, but it'll be interesting to see if anything comes from regulating games that are intentionally made to be addictive. There was recently a leak that seemed to be from EA that indicated they hire behavioral scientists to make games more addictive, going so far as potentially using location data and personal profiling to send targeted ads to digital billboards as people approached them.

Reactions: Ares

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
31 Thoughts, The Podcast: Kyle Dubas and the hardest trophy to win in hockey - Sportsnet.ca

Around 19:30 they mention that there was a sign at the Whiteout party related to Subban being a bush camper in Fortnite. Afterwards they talk about gaming and its impact among junior aged players.
Specifically a story from Jeff Marek who says that a player drafted by a "very, very prominent NHL team" taken in the 1st round "who probably won't make the NHL because of a video game addiction." The latter quote sounded like verbatim of what Marek was told by the player's junior team's GM.

Marek says it was 6-12 month old story, so probably a 2015 or 2016 drafted player, and the player is a very good CHL player. There's been some discussion/speculation on who it could be. The only real possibility from the Jets would be Stanley, but all I've ever heard about him is that he's a rink rat and not the type of guy who sits at home.

Given that the audience for 31 thoughts is primarily Canadian it's probably safe to assume you can eliminate probably 2/3 of the league's draft picks from the "very, very prominent NHL team" category. It'd be pretty interesting if it was one of the 2 players from Boston's 2015 draft that haven't played in the NHL yet when they passed on both Matthew Barzal and Kyle Connor for them.

Marek specifically said that it was a high 1st round pick from a fairly prominent team. To me, that says top 10, if not top 5. Jets haven't had any high firsts since Laine that fit the scope of this timeline. Considering that Stanley's offensive game has risen dramatically the last 12 months, it's safe to say that he's not been taking too much time playing video games.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Marek specifically said that it was a high 1st round pick from a fairly prominent team. To me, that says top 10, if not top 5. Jets haven't had any high firsts since Laine that fit the scope of this timeline. Considering that Stanley's offensive game has risen dramatically the last 12 months, it's safe to say that he's not been taking too much time playing video games.

Yeah, I very much doubt it's Stanley as well, I brought him up just for the discussion's sake. The 2015 draft was Connor and Roslovic which were both NCAA players and both were in the bottom half of the 1st like Stanley.

The media seems to vary quite a bit on what they consider a high first, I've seen some media basically consider anything from 1-20 a "high" pick. My opinion is that anything that has balls in the lottery is a high first round pick. It was Jeff Marek's own opinion that he wasn't going to make the NHL.
The quote was "He's a recent first round draft pick for a very, very prominent NHL team, who will probably never play in the NHL due to a video game addiction."
And then went on to say
"This is information that's 6 months old, actually might say a year old now. But it's a terrible story because this guy's a good junior hockey player, this guy's a good player and was a high pick; probably even saying too much there. And there's a good chance he's not going to make the NHL."

The best fits that I've heard were either Juolevi or Zboril. Juolevi it sounds like there's been issues that nobody is completely clear on, apparently he's been healthy scratched this past season in Finland for unclear reasons. Zboril fits the "high draft pick from a very, very prominent team" as well as possibly stagnating development. Zboril, somewhat ironically, was the only pick that people thought was a solid pick in that 13-15 range that Boston had. The only hold-up on Juolevi might be that because he was picked so high that he's going to get his shot in the NHL regardless of what his issues are.

It'd definitely be unfortunate if it does end up being Juolevi, I don't really have any issue with the Canucks. The mismanagement of the Canucks franchise is pretty amazing, it goes back to the drama with Kesler not wanting to be in Canada that went along beside the goaltending drama that resulted in both Luongo and Schneider getting dealt.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
The best fits that I've heard were either Juolevi or Zboril. Juolevi it sounds like there's been issues that nobody is completely clear on, apparently he's been healthy scratched this past season in Finland for unclear reasons. Zboril fits the "high draft pick from a very, very prominent team" as well as possibly stagnating development. Zboril, somewhat ironically, was the only pick that people thought was a solid pick in that 13-15 range that Boston had. The only hold-up on Juolevi might be that because he was picked so high that he's going to get his shot in the NHL regardless of what his issues are.

Not true, only 2 "unexplained" scratches.
He missed some games at the start of the season because of training camp and some more because of WJC. He had a good season and was given a lot of responsibility in the playoffs.
It's one Canucks fan spreading this everywhere

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
Not true, only 2 "unexplained" scratches.
He missed some games at the start of the season because of training camp and some more because of WJC.

That's something I wasn't sure on, I was just quoting from the main board. You're likely to know better than most that comment on the main boards here.

Someone also on the main board is now saying that Bob McKenzie has said that the player was probably from a Canadian team.
If that was actually said, it pretty much limits it to Logan Brown (Ottawa), Olli Juolevi (Vancouver), Noah Juulsen (Montreal), or Logan Stanley. Juulsen has played in the NHL already though and going 26th would mean he isn't really a "high first round pick."

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-game-addiction.2492615/page-9#post-146071247

Of course they don't say where McKenzie said it, but there's radio shows on throughout the day where he could've said it and it hasn't been archived anywhere yet to confirm that it actually was said. Take that with a grain of salt until it's actually confirmed.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
That's something I wasn't sure on, I was just quoting from the main board. You're likely to know better than most that comment on the main boards here.

Someone also on the main board is now saying that Bob McKenzie has said that the player was probably from a Canadian team.
If that was actually said, it pretty much limits it to Logan Brown (Ottawa), Olli Juolevi (Vancouver), Noah Juulsen (Montreal), or Logan Stanley. Juulsen has played in the NHL already though and going 26th would mean he isn't really a "high first round pick."

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-game-addiction.2492615/page-9#post-146071247

Of course they don't say where McKenzie said it, but there's radio shows on throughout the day where he could've said it and it hasn't been archived anywhere yet to confirm that it actually was said. Take that with a grain of salt until it's actually confirmed.
Well it might still be him for all I know, but the stuff about him being scratched a lot isn't true

None

Feb 22, 2012
Other than Toronto and Montreal would any other Canadian teams be considered “very, very prominent”?

Questionable because it's coming from Canadian media, they might consider every Canadian market as "prominent" but you're probably right. Maybe with Vancouver thrown into the mix along with Toronto and Montreal. Very prominent might also mean consistent playoff team to some people, I think there might be too much focus on that part of Marek's original statement because nobody really knows what he considers a "very prominent" team. You can probably only completely rule out 5-6 teams from "very prominent" by any definition.

That said, Marek was apparently forced to confirm that it's not Olli Juolevi after someone else claimed that multiple sources were confirming that it was. That (essentially) confirms that it's not a Vancouver pick, because they don't have any other top picks that have played in the CHL from the most recent 3 drafts.

Before that tweet Jeff Marek and Elliot Friedman spoke about it on the 31 thoughts podcast again this morning. They mentioned that multiple teams have essentially approached them and asked who it was. They essentially implied that it's probably a more widespread issue than anyone probably thinks.

Elliot also mentioned that people have approached him and said that they expected people to assume it was Juolevi. If I had to guess why people actively approached him to mention that it'd probably be because there's such a spotlight on Vancouver's top picks recently after selecting Virtanen. If there's no significant progression in boxcar stats fans are going to worry about their prospect's future and at least on HFBoards, people have been very critical of Jim Benning. Extra scrutiny that I'm sure the media is aware of.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Questionable because it's coming from Canadian media, they might consider every Canadian market as "prominent" but you're probably right. Maybe with Vancouver thrown into the mix along with Toronto and Montreal. Very prominent might also mean consistent playoff team to some people, I think there might be too much focus on that part of Marek's original statement because nobody really knows what he considers a "very prominent" team. You can probably only completely rule out 5-6 teams from "very prominent" by any definition.

That said, Marek was apparently forced to confirm that it's not Olli Juolevi after someone else claimed that multiple sources were confirming that it was. That (essentially) confirms that it's not a Vancouver pick, because they don't have any other top picks that have played in the CHL from the most recent 3 drafts.

Before that tweet Jeff Marek and Elliot Friedman spoke about it on the 31 thoughts podcast again this morning. They mentioned that multiple teams have essentially approached them and asked who it was. They essentially implied that it's probably a more widespread issue than anyone probably thinks.

Elliot also mentioned that people have approached him and said that they expected people to assume it was Juolevi. If I had to guess why people actively approached him to mention that it'd probably be because there's such a spotlight on Vancouver's top picks recently after selecting Virtanen. If there's no significant progression in boxcar stats fans are going to worry about their prospect's future and at least on HFBoards, people have been very critical of Jim Benning. Extra scrutiny that I'm sure the media is aware of.

How classy of Marek to let fans know it isn't Juolevi after sending hardcore fans on a witch hunt for a teenager. It may even be Olli but he's back tracking to not look like an even bigger jerk.

If it's a wide spread issue just say it and leave it at that.

None

Feb 22, 2012
How classy of Marek to let fans know it isn't Juolevi after sending hardcore fans on a witch hunt for a teenager. It may even be Olli but he's back tracking to not look like an even bigger jerk.

If it's a wide spread issue just say it and leave it at that.

I think the issue lies solely on how much information he gave initially. He never should've said it was a "very, very prominent" team or that it was even a first round pick. It brought far too much attention to who it is and not the issue as a whole.

As wrong as it sounds, I wonder if an NHL GM or executive asked for him to release enough information that the player in question knew it was referring to them. I think that begins getting into conspiracy theories, but if that's the case it begins to get into the territory of the right to privacy. How much should a junior GM be revealing to a member of the media, and would he have done the same if it was a drug addiction? Would we even be discussing it if it was another type of addiction, or would Marek have even mentioned it?

Discussion should be fine on the topic as a whole, because making taboo topics more easy to talk about will probably help people get the help they need.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The Jets will take a serious run at signing
Connor Hellebuyck long-term. A couple things about Hellebuyck: He played 3,332 minutes in 2014–15, 3,158 in 2015–16, 3,047 in 2016–17 and 4,981 this season. It was another level and he ran out of steam. What was most interesting was before Game 5 against Vegas, he changed his routine. Usually, when the camera enters the room right before pre-game skate, he stares directly at it. This time, he looked away. That’s someone still figuring out the process, which is no big deal.
I know there were some raised eyebrows at his comments comparing his goaltending to
Marc-Andre Fleury’s, but I have a theory on that: He’s Mike Weir. Weir was well known for blaming spike marks or something on the green for missed putts, etc. When I asked someone who knew him about it, he said it was a defence mechanism, that Weir was so hard on himself for misses that a sports psychologist moved the goalposts to ease the pressure. Hellebuyck didn’t need the media to tell him how good Fleury was — he knows. But that’s the way some guys handle it, and I have a greater understanding of it than I did years ago. The guy’s a stud; he will only get better and the Jets know this price isn’t going down.

9. With the exception of Kovalchuk, most of the European players NHL teams are looking at are signed. One more to keep an eye on for this year is 28-year-old left-hand-shot defenceman Bogdan Kiselevich. It sounds like one of the reasons he is still available is Winnipeg is among the interested parties, and the Jets had more important things to worry about lately. But a couple of teams are privately beginning to peek at next spring.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
20. After his Game 5 scratch versus Nashville, Tobias Enstrom let Winnipeg know he won’t be returning. The Jets/Thrashers are the only franchise he’s known during his NHL career, but it’s time for a change.

There have been some talks between the team and Paul Statsny, but it doesn’t sound too in-depth. As Winnipeg prepares to pay the price for good drafting/development plus success, I wonder about someone like Mathieu Perreault. He might be at a number the Jets can’t afford. You have to think there’d be interest.

31 Thoughts: Is Vegas thinking about re-visiting Erik Karlsson deal? - Sportsnet.ca

Thanks, Maurice. The guy does the Jets a huge solid in the summer, and you scratch him - 2nd best LHD - in the most important game for this franchise that he's ever played. Well, should have played. Congratulations - you played yourself, Maurice. Now, I felt that Enstrom's time was at an end after this season regardless, but for him to go out like that is a huge slap in the face for the work he's done for the team.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
31 Thoughts: Is Vegas thinking about re-visiting Erik Karlsson deal? - Sportsnet.ca

Thanks, Maurice. The guy does the Jets a huge solid in the summer, and you scratch him - 2nd best LHD - in the most important game for this franchise that he's ever played. Well, should have played. Congratulations - you played yourself, Maurice. Now, I felt that Enstrom's time was at an end after this season regardless, but for him to go out like that is a huge slap in the face for the work he's done for the team.
Really...

It isnt about one final hurrah for Enstrom. We had lost 3 straight games and our coach scratched two defensemen to shake things up and try to stay alive in a Conference Finals game. Easy to make an argument he wasnt our 2nd best LD these playoffs.

Maurice shouldn't have to be sorry for doing what he thought was the best chance to try and win a Stanley Cup.

I get why Enstrom was pissed but his feelings are not more important than the team's goal. The shit people try to pin on Maurice is funny sometimes.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Really...

It isnt about one final hurrah for Enstrom. We had lost 3 straight games and our coach scratched two defensemen to shake things up and try to stay alive in a Conference Finals game. Easy to make an argument he wasnt our 2nd best LD these playoffs.

Maurice shouldn't have to be sorry for doing what he thought was the best chance to try and win a Stanley Cup.

I get why Enstrom was pissed but his feelings are not more important than the team's goal. The **** people try to pin on Maurice is funny sometimes.

While I feel Maurice should have played Toby in that game I can understand that he felt he had to do something to try to shake things up.

It isn't easy being a coach in NHL, every single player wants to play every game and as a coach you sometimes are in no win situations. He made what he thought was the best lineup decision and he as a coach owns that.

I am more disappointed in Toby then I am in Maurice in this situation. I can understand why he is angry but he is the one who had the power to chose how he wanted to handle the scratch. He chose to handle it in the way that he did by skipping out of town early and telling the org he was done with them. That is his choice and his choice alone.

I will always appreciate his contributions to the team but I don't blame the org for how the relationship ended unless there are other things that went on that we aren't privy too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad