GDT: Friday night cat fight: Flames at Felines. 5:30pm MT on SNF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Rittich has looked very good. I didn't think he was ready, happy he is making me look wrong.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Rittich should get more starts. It's not easy coming in after sitting on the bench for a couple weeks and putting on a display like that.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Also worth noting even Backlund mentioned it in his post game that they've been outshot so far on this roadie.

We're winning special teams; and getting some bounces right now. I'd say the Flames were playing better a two weeks ago over the last two. I don't complain about wins (I'm not that much of an idiot), but the way we're doing it is riding a hot goaltending.

To add, Rittich has looked superb. Very happy we found him in the organization. Who knows, he might be the heir apparent to Smith.

Agree 100% with everything you just said.

I was hoping I wasn't the only one who thought we were playing better a couple weeks ago when we were losing than during this winning streak. Hockey is a funny sport

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Way too early for me to start pumping Rittich's tires but what he's shown through his first few games is intriguing. I'd like to see him get more than a third of the remaining games to keep Smith fresh for the playoffs.

A pretty cool stat - if 96 points is the cutoff to make the postseason, our point percentage through the season thus far (52 points in 44 games, 1.18ppg) is higher than the point percentage we would need to reach the playoffs (44 points in 38 games, 1.16ppg) for the first time in quite a while.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Way too early for me to start pumping Rittich's tires but what he's shown through his first few games is intriguing. I'd like to see him get more than a third of the remaining games to keep Smith fresh for the playoffs.

A pretty cool stat - if 96 points is the cutoff to make the postseason, our point percentage through the season thus far (52 points in 44 games, 1.18ppg) is higher than the point percentage we would need to reach the playoffs (44 points in 38 games, 1.16ppg) for the first time in quite a while.
Yup. That's really all you need to be a playoff team. A whole lot of .500 hockey with a few good streaks mixed in. It can be super frustrating and hard to keep perspective as fans because of how bad .500 hockey can look, but you don't need to look like world beaters all year to have a shot at the Cup.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I just looked at our schedule. Looks pretty light to be honest. Although we tend to play at the level of the other team so that doesn’t even matter.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We have a lot of divisional games left

3 vs Edmonton
3 vs Arizona
4 vs Vegas
2 vs SJ
1 vs Anaheim

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
My no team has ever missed the playoffs in the salary cap era by getting 97 pts or more afaik
That's a good mark to strive for. The key is that we need to either extend this streak to something ridiculous or have another run like it at some point in the second half, then just hold steady the rest of the time with a win/loss pattern (with not all of the losses being in regulation). Then bam, playoffs.

Ideally, by the end of the season, we'll have seen more of those games where you can't really remember if the other team had a true dangerous chance.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
We have a lot of divisional games left

3 vs Edmonton
3 vs Arizona
4 vs Vegas
2 vs SJ
1 vs Anaheim
Given the way the Oil have done this season I wish I could say that looks like a cakewalk, but man does McDavid ever have the Flames' number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad