GDT: french people v. Carolina

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
If the Rangers, Flyers and Islanders all fail to make the playoffs, what will NBC Sports Network show on nights when the Penguins don't play? They may be forced to acknowledge there are teams in places like Columbus, Tampa Bay and Carolina. And that there's a Western Conference in the NHL.

Forgot what game was on Wednesday night, but the NBCSN crew was talking about the playoff race, sounded forced to even mention Carolina being 1 pt behind NYI and NYR, then only talked about who among NYI, NYR, and Philly would take the final spot.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If the Rangers, Flyers and Islanders all fail to make the playoffs, what will NBC Sports Network show on nights when the Penguins don't play? They may be forced to acknowledge there are teams in places like Columbus, Tampa Bay and Carolina. And that there's a Western Conference in the NHL.

Sadly you know as well as I do that they'll find a way to have the playoff schedule alternate nights so they can show Pittsburgh vs (insert team here) and Washington vs (insert team here), with possibly Boston vs Toronto mixed in.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Forgot what game was on Wednesday night, but the NBCSN crew was talking about the playoff race, sounded forced to even mention Carolina being 1 pt behind NYI and NYR, then only talked about who among NYI, NYR, and Philly would take the final spot.

Who was on that day? Because I feel like I always see the same with the exception of Keith Jones- he has always seemed pretty fair to me in his discussion of the canes. The other day he was saying the only thing holding the team back was goaltending (which is obvious but it's not like he was dismissing the possibility of them taking a step forward). He even picked us to beat the pens in the ECF back in 09, that's always stuck with me.

Of course when you're always standing next to Roenick and/or milbury it's easy to look like the smart one

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC

I saw this and noticed the same exact thing. HE brought up the 2 teams (Rangers & Islanders) that at the time had 55 points and but never mentioned Carolina at 54 as being contenders to the Flyers after they had just lost to the Caps.

100% could have just been oversight, they stutter on that show a lot and get confused.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We're surprised guys on the network that is all Pens, Caps, and Hawks all the time doesn't mention teams outside a major metro area? This is the same network that sets up the Winter Classic to include one of Pitt, Washington, Boston, NYR, or Chicago every year. They think there are only 5 teams that fans care about.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Fleury looked like an entirely different player last night. He was aggressive in the offensive zone and assertive with his defense. I have to wonder if he was holding back a bit knowing Faulk is the offensive guy and Smith just told him to get more involved offensively, it’s a forward and Faulk’s job to cover your ass if the opportunity is there. He was grinding behind the opponents goal twice last night and I can’t recall him being down that low for more than 2 seconds all year.

i think it's probably less who fleury has been playing with and more natural progression that is responsible for his strong game last night. his decision making was much better and he looked far more comfortable with the puck. it's so easy to forget that a lot of these guys are still trying to learn the league and get comfortable with the pace of the game. the freakish ones like aho that come in looking like they've always played here are the exceptions and not the rule. it did seem like the defense was activating a lot more last night than usual. even slavin had that nifty move inside to draw that penalty on the breakaway. it seems like getting defense involved in offensive creation was something peters and the bunch went to school on during the break. the results so far look good. pesce getting his first of the year. slavin drawing that penalty. fleury looking engaged in both ends. nice little adjustment.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It helps that the forwards are being responsible enough when the D does activate. TT, Aho (as usual), Ryan and Skinner were all noticeable in that regard last night.

I agree with you on Fleury Vagrant. He went through the same transition in Charlotte last year where he struggled early and got better and better as the season goes on. The guy has natural ability, it's about being comfortable enough and confident enough to trust that ability and just play.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
We're surprised guys on the network that is all Pens, Caps, and Hawks all the time doesn't mention teams outside a major metro area? This is the same network that sets up the Winter Classic to include one of Pitt, Washington, Boston, NYR, or Chicago every year. They think there are only 5 teams that fans care about.

I try to get as much info as I can from NHL Network radio on XM. They treat the Canes like 1 of 31 teams. Yeah, it's a little tilted toward Toronto sometimes, but almost all their hosts seem to get that it's a big league and everyone has a shot. Some hosts go out of their way to support the Canes, to the point that I'm not sure we even deserve it.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I feel like it took Hanifin quite some time to be comfortable with doing down into the zone with regularity. And that's always been the best part of his offensive game to me. Fleury will obviously not get to that level, but if he comes down at the right times like he did last night with regularity, I think he definitely has some tools to create some offense as he matures.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I try to get as much info as I can from NHL Network radio on XM. They treat the Canes like 1 of 31 teams. Yeah, it's a little tilted toward Toronto sometimes, but almost all their hosts seem to get that it's a big league and everyone has a shot. Some hosts go out of their way to support the Canes, to the point that I'm not sure we even deserve it.

Yeah I listen as well and it does seem that way. They’re only interest is in promoting the league as it’s a league operated entity (or close to it). They have one of John, Tripp, or Chuck on pretty regularly and the same for the rest of the league announcers. NBC is only interested in what’s best for NBC and that is decidedly not the Hurricanes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad