Freep: Expected Holland moves during off-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's what happens when your GM doesn't restock the team with talent.

Holland doesn't play him in the top 6, on PP units, and roll him out there with 4 on 4 lines in OT in important games. That's all Babcock.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Holland doesn't play him in the top 6, on PP units, and roll him out there with 4 on 4 lines in OT in important games. That's all Babcock.

If Holland gave him other options there wouldn't be a need. Regardless, Cleary did his job in the playoffs, his days are most likely numbered here.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Holland gave him other options there wouldn't be a need. Regardless, Cleary did his job in the playoffs, his days are most likely numbered here.

I hope you are right, I think there's a decent chance too. I think he had better options but hopefully it's irrelevant since we will have a new team going forward.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

And in doing so, Cleary delivered.

We'd all be pretty thrilled if Tatar had 10 points in 14 games... including 4 consecutive games with with a point at the end - when the team struggled. Cleary had his ups and downs, but in the playoffs the dude was everything we could want from a winger getting top 6 minutes.

This isn't to say he's the best option moving forward, but Babcock made the right call on Cleary when it counted this season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

We'd all be pretty thrilled if Tatar had 10 points in 14 games... including 4 consecutive games with with a point at the end - when the team struggled. Cleary had his ups and downs, but in the playoffs the dude was everything we could want from a winger getting top 6 minutes.

This isn't to say he's the best option moving forward, but Babcock made the right call on Cleary when it counted this season.

Wow Cleary is overvalued because of his insignificant second assists and EN or garbage goals in the playoffs.

Remember when he started the season with 1 point in 15 games playing a lot of minutes? Or did everyone on here conveniently forget that stretch of the season.

The most important gauge of Cleary was the eyeball test. He was laboring all season, couldn't skate well enough to keep up with play, and failed to convert a large amount of scoring chances that he had. I can't understand the support for that guy to save my life.

Yes Cleary had a good playoffs statistically, so has Brian Bickell, but these guys are nothing special. I'm over it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can't understand the support for that guy to save my life.

He played well down the stretch. He's a workhorse player who rarely makes errors that end up costing the team, which is why he's been in Babcock's favor for so long.

And the support begins and ends there. I don't want him back on the Wings, it's time to turn the page and get more speed, but he had a nice finish to the year. That's about it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He played well down the stretch. He's a workhorse player who rarely makes errors that end up costing the team, which is why he's been in Babcock's favor for so long.

And the support begins and ends there. I don't want him back on the Wings, it's time to turn the page and get more speed, but he had a nice finish to the year. That's about it.

That's fair to say, he works his butt off and I can understand the appreciation in the locker room for the guy, but I think it's time to let him go.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's fair to say, he works his butt off and I can understand the appreciation in the locker room for the guy, but I think it's time to let him go.

We're hearing the Wings are 50/50 on him, so there's obviously an internal debate going on whether his position will be filled with a young player or not. That's a positive sign, I'd say, considering how everybody thought it was a foregone conclusion he'd be back after his playoff stats. Seems management is continuing to look forward, but they also have a real desire to try to stay competitive. It's a delicate balance.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Cleary had a great playoffs this year. He usually steps up in the playoffs. The problem is, he is pretty ineffective during the regular season. Holland could upgrade Cleary big time by signing Bickel or Clarson. Yeah, they will come more expensive, but they are much younger and not broken down. I appreciate what he has done with the wings, but if we upgrade him, we upgrade the entire team big time.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I would not resign Brunner and Filppula, that saves you probably 8 million in player salary. Give those roster spots to Tatar and Nyquist who are much cheaper and probably just as effective.

I'd also buy out Samuelsson and Bertuzzi.

Move Cleary to the 4th line where he belongs and don't give him any PP time.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I would not resign Brunner and Filppula, that saves you probably 8 million in player salary. Give those roster spots to Tatar and Nyquist who are much cheaper and probably just as effective.

I'd also buy out Samuelsson and Bertuzzi.

Move Cleary to the 4th line where he belongs and don't give him any PP time.

Then what? What would the lines be?

RedWingsNow*

Cleary sucks. He got some goals. But generally, his play sucks. He can't keep plays moving. He can't skate fast enough to be a two-way guy.

He might have scored 4 goals with his top 6 minutes, but is that so great?
How do we know Brunner wouldn't have had 8 goals, or Nyquist 6 goals, or Tatar 6 goals?

I thought Cleary did OK in the playoffs...but his stats seem inflated compared to his actual on-ice play.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

Rarely makes mistakes?!? The guy is a turnover machine. 99% of the time, the puck comes to him and the play is dead, offensively or defensively. He had one good assist to Flip for a GWG, other than that his points were garbage, his game was garbage and it was disgusting how he would put his tail between his legs and hide behind the refs every time Bickell would challenge him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Cleary sucks. He got some goals. But generally, his play sucks. He can't keep plays moving. He can't skate fast enough to be a two-way guy.

Rarely makes mistakes?!? The guy is a turnover machine. 99% of the time, the puck comes to him and the play is dead, offensively or defensively. He had one good assist to Flip for a GWG, other than that his points were garbage, his game was garbage and it was disgusting how he would put his tail between his legs and hide behind the refs every time Bickell would challenge him.

I guess I don't see suck or garbage. I see a middle of the road guy who is responsible and falls into the vast majority of bottom 6 NHL players on nearly any team. But it's okay, I'm not even a big fan, so I'm not too worried about defending his honor.

Just keep Ericsson out of this. :sarcasm:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If you ask me, the Wings want to bring Cleary back.
But my guess is that Cleary thinks he's worth a raise. And maybe some team that needs cup winning experience would pay him a raise

St James wrote a puff piece on him basically saying Cleary is worth more than the $3M the Wings paid him last year

http://www.freep.com/article/20130615/SPORTS05/306150059/daniel-cleary-red-wings-contract

I love the bit about Cleary being healthier than he's been in years. Didn't he have a separated shoulder at some point? And that's healthier?

I don't want him back, but I'm sorta re-signed to Holland trying to sign him. I just hope Holland doesn't blink and go way high.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I love the bit about Cleary being healthier than he's been in years. Didn't he have a separated shoulder at some point? And that's healthier?

I don't want him back, but I'm sorta re-signed to Holland trying to sign him. I just hope Holland doesn't blink and go way high.

Same here giving Cleary $3 mil a year would be a grave mistake.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If you ask me, the Wings want to bring Cleary back.
But my guess is that Cleary thinks he's worth a raise. And maybe some team that needs cup winning experience would pay him a raise

St James wrote a puff piece on him basically saying Cleary is worth more than the $3M the Wings paid him last year

http://www.freep.com/article/20130615/SPORTS05/306150059/daniel-cleary-red-wings-contract

Sorry the role that Cleary would be playing from now on, Would'nt garner him more then $2 mil a year He will be 35 years old at the end of the year his best days are far over if he wants $3 mil a year he can go to Edmonton they seem to want him i see.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
I think the logical thing to do is replace Cleary with Bickel/Clarkson. And I don't think Babcock wants Cleary playing on the top 2 or maybe 3 lines. I remember reading an article where he said something like "we likED Cleary because of his speed, and he has to start doing that to be good" (paraphrased). They realize he is declining and they won't give him a raise. If he wants to play here, I think he has to take 1-2 million, which he wont.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hopefully someone else will pay him the kind of money he is after. I don't want Cleary on the team anymore, but I have always liked him. Hope he can get 3 years and 3 million per from some other team. Help us from having to complain about him and it is very likely when his playing days are over he is back in the area and with the organization at some point in my opinion.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Cleary would be perfect for a team like the Islanders or Oilers who have alot of younger players. Kinda hoping they swoop in and sign him.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Then what? What would the lines be?

Z, Datsyuk, FA
Nyquist, Weiss, Franzen
Tatar, Helm, Eaves
Miller, Andersson, Abdelkader
Tootoo

I dont liket having Miller, Eaves, Andersson, Abdelkader and Totoo. Thats a lot of 4th line type of guys. Kills our chances for depth.

Thats with no Fil, Brunner, Sammy, Bert and Emmerton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->