Free Hinostroza

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
That was definitely a weakness, but if I'm remembering correctly people were constantly complaining about the puck/offense dying on his stick. And that his hands didn't match up with his speed... Which was something I also thought he had issues with. And again, he looks much better in that regard this season. He was definitely turning the puck over a lot more.

The way I saw it was .... Q had him playing with slugs who didn't have the talent to take advantage of his forechecking and the ice he opened up with his speed. It was frustrating for Hino and for fans.

Some may recall that Hino played with Toews/Kane for a stint somewhere around late November of last season and the line had some success - but Q's impatience ruled again and he broke up the trio. Probably because the coach was constantly looking for a combo to get Toews game going and his numbers up. A year and a half later, that still hasn't happened.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The way I saw it was .... Q had him playing with slugs who didn't have the talent to take advantage of his forechecking and the ice he opened up with his speed. It was frustrating for Hino and for fans.

Some may recall that Hino played with Toews/Kane for a stint somewhere around late November of last season and the line had some success - but Q's impatience ruled again and he broke up the trio. Probably because the coach was constantly looking for a combo to get Toews game going and his numbers up. A year and a half later, that still hasn't happened.

I'd like a Hino-Toews-Kane line better than a Saad-Toews-Kane line, just for line balance sake.

Put Saad with Schmaltz and DeBrincat, or on a third line with Hayden or DuClair.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I should go back to GDTs last year and find it. Because I know I wasn't the only one who was complaining about his hands not being able to keep up with his feet, and plays dying on his stick constantly. He would give the puck up right inside the blueline constantly. Or over-skate it. Or throw it away. It was the biggest criticism on here from many... and a big reason why many thought he was a tweener.

It doesn't really matter, because it's not really happening that much anymore. His hands seem to have finally developed to the point of matching his speed. And I'm fine with that. He's gonna have a solid NHL career.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yea, Hino was trying to do wayyyyy too much last year. Flashes of talent but he didn't utilize his linemates well. All he would do was push the pace, which often ended in 1 v 2's or 2 v 3's and he'd attempt a pass/deke that usually didn't work.

He's playing much more composed this year.

Reactions: ChiHawks10 and BK

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yea, Hino was trying to do wayyyyy too much last year. Flashes of talent but he didn't utilize his linemates well. All he would do was push the pace, which often ended in 1 v 2's or 2 v 3's and he'd attempt a pass/deke that usually didn't work.

He's playing much more composed this year.
Yeah I think he has learned to slow it down and change speeds when appropriate. Maybe from playing with and watching Kane, who is the master.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yeah, Hino could skate 100mph but last year the game was moving 150mph in his head. The game has markedly slowed down for him and he's learned how to use his speed better to his advantage.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yeah I think he has learned to slow it down and change speeds when appropriate. Maybe from playing with and watching Kane, who is the master.
Yea, he's markedly better this year. He doesn't have Kane's hands/vision, but who does? He's a totally different player this year. I underestimated his hockey IQ. Thought he was just a tool player, no tool box. I was wrong.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yea, he's markedly better this year. He doesn't have Kane's hands/vision, but who does? He's a totally different player this year. I underestimated his hockey IQ. Thought he was just a tool player, no tool box. I was wrong.

Same with me. Always projected him as a tweener. He has been much more this year. If he can keep it up, he's a great middle 6 player.(not a regular on the 2nd line, but can fill in with spot duty.)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Close enough to my thoughts on him haha.
Yeah, I edited it to reflect my opinion a little better. I think he can do spot-duty in the top 6 as a fill-in during injuries or something along those lines, but he's a very good 3rd line, and elite 4th line type of player for his career, IMO. With a career high in points probably somewhere around 55 at some point.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah, I edited it to reflect my opinion a little better. I think he can do spot-duty in the top 6 as a fill-in during injuries or something along those lines, but he's a very good 3rd line, and elite 4th line type of player for his career, IMO. With a career high in points probably somewhere around 55 at some point.

I think he'd ideally play the Shaw role on a shutdown line, occasionally seeing some powerplay time. He's obviously not as gritty as Shaw, but he's faster, and has defensive ability.

They need to find a Kruger-type center to bury in the defensive zone.

Hino-Kruger type center-Wingles/Riley Nash

I think that'd be a pretty solid 3rd/4th line.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Is Hino going to cost 2.5 per year? If so, then that's a pretty tough question. I'd lean Shaw.

I'd prefer Hino at 2.5m. Higher ceiling, and more talent, IMO.

Though there's something to be said for what Shaw brought to the team. I still think I'd rather have Hino. The lack of stupid penalties by Hino is enough to make me lean to him.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'd prefer Hino at 2.5m. Higher ceiling, and more talent, IMO.

Though there's something to be said for what Shaw brought to the team. I still think I'd rather have Hino. The lack of stupid penalties by Hino is enough to make me lean to him.

Ya, it's a pretty good question. I could go either way on that.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
happy birthday vinnie and his CAREER 39 points! big time 7 goals this year. :popcorn:

Eh? 40+ points, at 13 minutes a night, and you're sarcastically complimenting this fact to make fun of him?

Serious question. Do you ever post anything of value here? Or is it all uninformed garbage like this?

Shaw: 20 points in 50 games playing 15:48 a night.
Hino: 25 points in 47 games playing 13:52 a night.

Shaw makes $3.9M a season. Hino is going to come in much lower than $2.5M. So where are you even getting the $2.5M from?

Last edited:
Reactions: CallMeShaft

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Wow, you're going to do this again? You really didn't learn after saying he's not good enough to be on a cup contender.

One way to lose a ton of respect on here and you again double down.
he isnt good enough to be playing significant minutes on a cup contender. Hes not very good and i was doing it to troll a bit because i knew you people would get up for it.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Waffle much? First, a tweener. Not good enough for the NHL. Then, not good enough to play on a cup contender. Now, not good enough to play significant minutes on a cup contender. Next season, it will be that he's not good enough to be a first line player on a cup contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad