Free H2H, redraft, sabermetrics, 24-team league needs to replace 3 owners

WarlordJohnCarter

Oct 11, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
We need replacements for three managers who quit. The basics: it’s a free, huge (24 teams), daily, H2H, redraft league with deep scoring and full MLB rosters. It's a great league with all other managers active in the last week (21 of 24). It’s a sabermetrics-based league with very deep, weighted scoring and full rosters. (See the team rosters, scoring categories, etc., below) Reply here or send me email at [email protected] if interested (Let me know which team you prefer). All three of these teams have several open slots on their rosters (due to injuries, players in the minors, etc), so I’ll give you 8 moves to fill up your active rosters to the 25-man limit (the usual move/transaction limit is 4 per week.). We have a 35-inning pitching minimum (but also a 6 SP max.), so be sure you add starters and/or relievers if necessary. To be totally open and honest, neither of these teams has much chance of making the playoffs, and it’s very hard to improve a team is a league this deep and big. Don’t join if you can’t stand losing. The best thing about the league is that it’s a free premium league, so if you take over a team and stay active all season, you will have a slot for next year, and you can draft your own team then.

There's a 35-inning minimum and a 6 starting pitcher maximum, so you will be able to find starters in the free agent pool if you are short.

Here are the rosters:

YANKEE GREATS (14th place)
Player Team Position
Kluber, Corey CLE SP
Severino, Luis NYY SP
Fulmer, Michael DET SP
Harris, Will HOU RP
Cozart, Zack CIN SS,UT
Freeman, Freddie ATL 1B,UT
Wilson, Justin DET RP
Triggs, Andrew OAK SP
Davis, Khris OAK OF,UT
Porcello, Rick BOS SP
Wong, Kolten STL 2B,UT
Wainwright, Adam STL SP
Jennings, Dan CHW RP
Gardner, Brett NYY OF,UT
Jones, Nate CHW RP
Leon, Sandy BOS C,UT
Asher, Alec BAL SP,RP
Liberatore, Adam LAD RP
Prado, Martin MIA 3B,UT
Jeffress, Jeremy TEX RP
Rupp, Cameron PHI C,UT
Gonzalez, Carlos COL OF,UT
Carter, Chris NYY 1B,OF,UT
Milone, Tommy NYM RP
Peterson, Jace ATL 1B,2B,3B,SS,OF,UT
Smith, Will SF RP

Roster of Whats cooking 18th place
Player Team Position
Miller, Andrew CLE RP
Arrieta, Jake CHC SP
Gonzalez, Marwin HOU 1B,2B,3B,SS,OF,UT
Marquez, German COL SP
Suarez, Eugenio CIN 3B,UT
Barraclough, Kyle MIA RP
Maurer, Brandon SD RP
Diaz, Edwin SEA RP
Alvarez, Jose LAA RP
Herrera, Kelvin KC RP
Hernandez, **** LAD 1B,2B,3B,SS,OF,UT
Ottavino, Adam COL RP
Eickhoff, Jerad PHI SP
Kendrick, Howie PHI 2B,OF,UT
Tomlin, Josh CLE SP
Jay, Jon CHC OF,UT
Teheran, Julio ATL SP
Sanchez, Yolmer CHW 2B,3B,SS,UT
Velasquez, Vince PHI SP
Vogt, Stephen MIL C,UT
Iglesias, Jose DET SS,UT
Moss, Brandon KC 1B,OF,UT
Albies, Ozzie ATL 2B,SS,UT
Mendez, Erick NYY OF,UT
Tellez, Rowdy TOR 1B,UT

Richmond Rumble Ponies: 21st place
Player Team Position
Dickerson, Corey TB OF,UT
Sabathia, CC NYY SP
Iglesias, Raisel CIN RP
Betances, Dellin NYY RP
Montgomery, Jordan NYY SP
Warren, Adam NYY RP
Syndergaard, Noah NYM SP
Morton, Charlie HOU SP
Walker, Neil NYM 2B,UT
Glover, Koda WAS RP
Cespedes, Yoenis NYM OF,UT
Broxton, Keon MIL OF,UT
Volquez, Edinson MIA SP
Salas, Fernando NYM RP
Wolters, Tony COL C,UT
Valencia, Danny SEA 1B,3B,OF,UT
Davies, Zach MIL SP
Matz, Steven NYM SP
Arcia, Orlando MIL SS,UT
Odor, Rougned TEX 2B,UT
Murphy, Tom COL C,UT
Crawford, Brandon SF SS,UT
Robles, Hansel NYM RP
Broxton, Jonathan (N/A) RP
Garcia, Adonis ATL 3B,UT
Gonzalez, Adrian LAD 1B,UT
Martin, Leonys SEA OF,UT
Crawford, J.P. PHI SS,UT

General
League Name: All-Star Baseball
Duplicate Player Allowance: Not Used
Scoring System: Head-to-Head - Each Category is a Win
Maximum # of teams: 24
League Creator Username: WarlordJohnCarter
Commissioner Team Name: Warlord John Carter
Schedule
Your league stats begin accumulating on: Sun Apr 02, 2017
Your league stats end accumulating on: Mon Oct 02, 2017
Merge first n periods of season: 2
Merge last two periods of season: No
Scoring Period Interval: Weekly
Scoring Period day to start: Monday
Use Playoffs: Yes

Playoffs
Playoffs will begin in this Scoring Period: 24 (Sep 19/17 - Sep 25/17) and last for 2 periods (rounds).
Playoff matchups entered manually: No
Number of teams qualifying for playoffs 4
Reseed each playoff round: No

* To view the playoff bracket, go to the Standings screen and click on the Playoffs tab.
Player Pool
Player Pool: All teams
Players traded out of league's player pool continue to accumulate stats: No
Only include players signed to a MLB team in the player pool: No
Lock Player Pool: No
Rosters
Restrictions
Minimum Total Players: 0
Maximum Total Players: 25
Minimum Active Players: 0
Maximum Active Players: 21
Maximum Reserve Players: 4
Maximum Injury Reserve Players: Unlimited
Maximum Minor League Players: 5
Prevent any transaction that would cause a roster to become illegal: Never
Allow suspended players to be moved to Injured Reserve: Yes
Allow players on a bye week to be moved to Injured Reserve: No
Injured Reserve players count toward roster limitation rules: No
Only players on the MLB Disabled List may be moved to the Injured Reserve slot: No
Minor League players count toward roster limitation rules: No
Minor League Eligibility:
Condition
Constraint
Players have a real-life status of In the minors Must meet to be eligible
Injured Reserve Enforcement type: Lock Transactions
Number of Lineup Periods until Injured Reserve Enforcement takes effect: 0

Rosters (25 total players):
Catcher (C): 1
1st Base (1B): 1
2nd Base (2B): 1
3rd Base (3B): 1
Shortstop (SS): 1
Outfield (OF): 3
Utility (Any Hitter) (UT): 1
Starting Pitcher (SP): 5
Relief Pitcher (RP): 7
Pitcher (P): 0
Bench: (BN): 4

Position Eligibility
Games needed from previous season for a player to qualify at a hitting position : 20
Games needed from current season for a player to qualify at a hitting position: 2
Starts needed from previous season for a player to qualify as a starter : 3
Starts needed from current season for a player to qualify as a starter : 2
Relief appearances needed from previous season for a player to qualify as a reliever : 3
Relief appearances needed from current season for a player to qualify as a reliever: 1
Use Fantrax's default position(s) in addition to any position(s) a player qualifies for based on above criteria: No
Note: If a player does not qualify for any positions based on the above selections, he will qualify at the position(s) played most in the previous MLB season. If he did not play at all last season, then the default position(s) will be used.
Other Roster Preferences
Allow players to play at an ineligible position without making the roster illegal: No

Here is the scoring--with the weights listed under each category:

Hitting (about 46 of the 100 points available)

Hits (H): 2.5
Home Runs (HR): 3.8
Net Stolen Bases (NSB): 2.5
Pitches Faced (PIT): 1.3
Balls Faced (BF): 1.3
Runs Batted In (RBI): 2.5
Runs Scored (R): 2.5
Walks (BB): 2.5
Batting Average (AVG): 2.5
Extra Base Hits (XBH): 2.5
Isolated Power (ISO): 2.5
On Base Percentage (OBP): 2.5
Total Bases (TB): 3.9
Weighted On Base Average (WOBA): 3.8
Slugging Percentage (SLG): 2.5
On Base + Slugging Percentage (OPS): 3.9
Runs Created (RC): 3.8

Pitching (about 54 of the 100 total points available each week)

Holds (HLD): 2.5
Inherited Runners Stranded (IRS): 2.5
Net Saves (Sv - BS) (NS): 2.5
Net Saves + Holds (NS+H): 2.5
Strikeouts Pitched (K): 2.5
Earned Run Average (ERA): 2.5
Home Runs Allowed Per Nine Innings (HR/9): 2.5
Modified Outs Recorded (MOR): 3.8
Relief Appearances (RA): 2.5
Strikeouts Pitched - Walks (K-BB): 3.9
Strikeouts Pitched Per Walk (K/BB): 2.5
Walks Allowed Per Nine Innings (BB/9): 2.5
WHIP Ratio (WHIP): 2.5
Wins + Quality Starts (W+QS): 3.8
Wins x 2 - Losses (W2-L): 3.9
Defense-Independent Component ERA (DICE): 3.8
Slugging Percentage (SLG): 2.6
On Base + Slugging Percentage Against (OPS): 3.9

Team Minimum and Maximum Requirements per Scoring Period
Scoring Category
Min
Max
Innings Pitched - Pitching
None
Games Started - Pitching
None
If a maximum has been met or exceeded: All hitters or pitchers, depending on the scoring category exceeded, will stop accumulating stats for the rest of the scoring period. If the max has not been met or exceeded at the beginning of a day, stats will accumulate throughout that entire day, even if the max is exceeded.<span style="color:#ff0000"> Note that ALL pitchers includes both SP and RP. For example, if a max is exceeded for Relief Appearances, stats will be lost for the season for Relief Pitchers (RP) as well as Starting Pitchers (SP).</span>
If a minimum has not been met by end of scoring period: The team will get a loss for each averaged hitting (e.g. Avg, Slg, etc.) or pitching stat (e.g. ERA, WHIP, etc.), depending on the scoring category whose minimum has not been met, for the scoring period.
Other Scoring Preferences
Players will always accumulate stats in all scoring category groups: No
Stat Correction Handling: No Official Scoring changes will affect your league beyond the default stat freeze time. Official corrections will be applied to your league if they come in within 7 days (168 hours) after the end of that game. Any Official Scoring changes which come in after this time will not be reflected in your league's stats/scores/standings.
Transactions
Lineups
Lineup Change System: Owners enter lineup changes
Lineup changes are executed: Daily
Lineup Changes are locked 0:01 (hours:minutes) Set amount of time before each player's scheduled game start time of the day
Trades
Trade System: Owners propose their own trades
Trading Period: All Year
Maximum Trades per Team: Unlimited
Trade Deadline Date: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:59 PM JST
Trade Voting System: Owners
Days to Vote: 3
# of Objections Required: 50%
Claims/Drops
Claim/Drop Privileges: Owners perform their own claims & drops
Max # of claims per season: Unlimited
Max # of claims per week: 4 ( Free Agents: 4 , Waiver Wire: 4 ) starting every Monday
Use Waiver Wire process: Yes
Allow claims/drops before the draft: No
Can't drop list: Not Used
Pending claims/drops are viewable by: One's own team
Free Agents
Free Agent Claim System: Free for all (1st come 1st serve)
Waiver Wire
Priority order: Random
Rotate Waiver Wire Claim Order After Each Claim: Yes
Waiver Wire Claim Order Reset Days: Sun,Mon,Tue,Wed,Thu,Fri,Sat
Waiver Wire Claim Order Reset Time: 3:00 am
Waiver Wire players are processed: After a selected # of Days
Waiver Wire claim processing time: 3:00 am
# of days players remain on waivers for: 2
Automatically put players on waivers: Never
Pending claims/drops are viewable by: One's own team

Here's some key info from the commish note:

Basics: this is a free, DAILY (set your lineups daily), H2H redraft league (no keepers, no dynasty) that’s going to have about 24 teams. Every team plays 2 matchups a week, every week of the regular season. This is to allow us to play every other team at least twice during the season. Our live draft is Sunday, Mar 19 at 10:00 AM EDT. Four teams make the playoffs, and each playoff round is going to be two weeks long. This is actually a paid Fantrax league with advanced stats, but I will pay the whole fee in advance-you pay nothing. Be sure to read below for all the details about our rules, the setup, scoring, playoffs, draft, rules, etc.

Changes for 2017: the minimum innings pitched will be 35 instead of the 40 from last season. I’m also toying with the idea of going back to one-week playoff rounds. Last season, we had two-week rounds, and it worked out ok, but I think it’s more fun to have everyone playing those extra two weeks. We had some trouble with relief pitchers being labelled as “SP,†which caused the computer at Fantrax to block those players from being added to teams that already had six SPs. Here’s what we’re going to do: post a note to everyone in the chat window requesting that a certain player’s postion be changed from “SP†or “RP/SP†to “RP†alone, and I will investigate and then make the change if I find evidence that that player truly is a fulltime reliever. I’ll make the change and then put that player on waivers, so everyone has a couple of days to place a bid on that player.

League set up and rules:

DL list: Fantrax is supposed to block all transactions involving teams that have healthy players on the DL list, but this doesn't always work properly, so I might override that function and drop players who are kept on the DL too long. Obviously, you are not permitted to keep healthy players on your DL (nor major leaguers in your "minor leagues" slots). Just to be fair, I will give you at least one full week to move that player into an eligible position (bench position or starting lineup) or drop him. I know that some of you only check in and monitor your teams on Mondays at the end of the week, so the rule is this: if your player comes off the DL (or gets called up to the majors) this week, if you have until Tuesday the week after next week to adjust your roster. Example: your player comes off the DL on Monday, July 1. You have until 12:01 AM on Tuesday, July 16 to put him in an eligible position. This particular scenario highlights the longest period of time he could possibly have before making the change. The shortest length of time you could have before being forced to make a change is eight days: for example, if your player comes off the DL on Sunday, July 7. You also have until 12:01 AM on Tuesday, July 16 to put him in an eligible position. There is an exception to this rule: even if your player is illegally on the DL, I will do nothing if you have an injured player on your active roster at the time. In other words, the fact that you have an injured player on your active roster cancels out the fact the you have a healthy player on your DL, because no advantage is gained, and I will do nothing. So what is the penalty? Do I just drop that player from the roster? Not necessarily. My goal is to do the least damage I can to your team, so I will drop the worst player to make your roster legal. If you have a stud on the DL or in the "minors" slot illegally, I'm not going to drop him. I'm going to make a judgment call and drop the worst player on your roster instead. That means I'll probably just drop a long reliever, but the worst player could obviously be a position player or starting pitcher as well.

Commish overrides of lineups, etc.: If you make a silly mistake like dropping a star, notify me immediately (in the chat window, preferrably), and I will put him back on your team. Also, if you forget to start an SP, and it results in missing your innings minimum, I may agree to retroactively start that player--depending on the situation. This is only because missing the inning minimum could have a huge effect on matchup scoring. The accidental benching of any individual hitter is very different. Because there is no maximum or minimum involved, the impact on overall matchup scoring would be minimal, so I'm not likely to correct that kind of mistake-- again, there may be exceptions, so be sure to notify me immediately and publicly in the chat window or on the message board. If it really seems like an honest mistake--especially a mistake of omission--I might correct it. I will not, however, correct mistakes of commission. If you start a bum by mistake, that’s your problem. One key exception: this rarely happens, but occasionally there is a malicious manager who trashes his own team and intentionally misses the innings limit or benches all of his hitters. In such cases, I definitely will retroactively put his players back in the starting lineup and make sure that he meets the innings minimum-- of course, I will also remove him from the league.

Pitching: You are required to have at least 35 total innings pitched per week-or lose all percentage-based pitching stats, such as ERA, WHIP, etc. This will NOT be adjusted for extended weeks, such as All-Star Week, etc. All teams are required to have at least one start per week, but I’m really only doing that so that I can see the total number of starts easily on the “live scoring†screen. There are also going to be five SP positions and seven RP positions this season. The maximum number of SPs is six on your roster (NOT including DL pitchers, so you can EASILY put injured guys in the DL position and have 7+ SPs on your roster INCLUDING the DL-just not active or on your bench. Fantrax will/should block you (we’ll see how it works, but I’m trying to set it up that way) from making any transactions until you drop any extra SPs you may have. You can choose to carry fewer than six starting pitchers, but you must not have more then six and that includes RPs who become fulltime starters-but NOT if it’s just a spot start here or there. Basically, if your RP makes the rotation out of spring training, he is a starter in my book, and I might just set his eligibility to SP only.

BTW, there are about 150 real starting pitchers in MLB, and with 24 fantasy teams here on Fantrax (at 5 SPs each) that is 120 SPs. Six SPs each would be 144, so there will be between six and 30 or so SPs available after the draft.

Position eligibility: I’m happy to change any player’s position eligibility if you can prove that he is the long-term starter. That goes for pitching as well as everyday players. All you have to do is send me a link to an official announcement that says, for example, “John Smith has been named starting shortstop by Manager Jones.†Of course, Fantrax automatically changes eligibility based on games played or started at a new position.

Scoring setup: the scoring setup is exactly the same as last season. Here's the breakdown of scoring by category:

Total Pitching: about 54% of scoring

Total Hitting: about 46% of scoring

Reliever-Only Categories: about 13%

Starting-Pitcher Dominated Categories: about 40%

Starting-Pitcher-Only Categories: about 5% with another 4% that are likely to be dominated by starters.

Hitting stats favor the best pure hitters, and homeruns are very important as is OBP.

Pitching stats favor pitchers who don’t let guys get on base and don’t give up HRs.

This is the mix I really want for this league, although I wouldn't mind tweaking these numbers by a couple of percentage points here and there. Basically, I think pitching and hitting should be equal, but I adjusted that slightly to allow for relievers. Again, this is something I might change in the future depending on how it plays out this season. (For those of you in my Yahoo league, my Yahoo setup has a very similar balance.)

Does that mean you should focus on pitching? I'm not sure. The problem is that starting pitchers can't score in every category, so hitters are probably still more valuable. My calculation is that a good hitter who also steals bases can score in 46% of the categories overall. A hitter who doesn't steal any bases is limited to about 43%. Starting pitchers are limited to about 44%. Obviously, relievers are not as important no matter how good they are, but in this league they can definitely win 10% of the categories, and they can definitely help out in another 30% of the categories.

One thing I always do now is to make the total number of points available each week an even number that's easy to understand. The total points available each week is exactly 100 points. That means that the maximum possible victory would be 100-0 in a given week. I think this really gives us a good idea of how our team is performing during the week. Champion teams are usually around 63% to 65% in my baseball leagues, so if you average 65 points in your matchups every week, you will probably finish first.

For those of you who are coming from Yahoo where each category is equal to one point, this system might be confusing. In Yahoo, the final score every week is simply the number of categories each player has won versus number he lost that week. In this Fantrax system, not every category is equal. I decided that some categories are more important, so I give them more value than other categories.

Fantrax uses some kind of points formula that shows you how every player is projected to perform and his corresponding rank according to the scoring system we have, so you should definitely check out the player rankings.

Conduct in chat and on message boards: I'm no prude, but let's keep our interactions positive, fun, classy, and clean. Generally speaking, all of my owners are classy and positive, so this probably doesn't apply to anyone in this league. I also don't mind a little smack talk, so you can definitely tell me that you plan on whupping me this week. I don't mind it at all, although you probably won't catch me saying such things just because that's just my personal style. My main concern is with explicit language and personal attacks. Try to imagine that your kids-or somebody's kids-are checking out our league and reading the things we post. Regarding personal attacks, if I catch you denigrating other managers or falsely accusing them of cheating, I might not invite you to renew for the following season, although I probably won't do anything in season.

Removal from league: I remove teams that don’t participate. If you are active, you have nothing to worry about. If you manage your lineups daily; put injured players on the DL and add replacements; and meet the pitching requirements; you’ll be fine. I definitely reserve the right to replace anyone at any time for any reason, but generally speaking, I only replace managers who are inactive OR who drop stars OR who try to trade stars for garbage-this is very rare, but it has happened. All of my leagues require participation. It doesn't mean that you have to post messages every day or that you can't make a mistake here or there regarding your starting lineups. However, I will not allow players to seemingly abandon their teams for more than a few days. If I see that your lineup repeatedly includes players on the DL or in the minor leagues; or starting players on the bench when open spots are available in the daily lineup, etc., you could be removed.

The way it usually works out is that I don't notice an inactive manager right away. As such, it's possible that that particular manager might lose stat categories he should have won if he hadn’t left his starters on the bench. (I especially hate it when he leaves his best players on the bench and his bench in the starting lineup for weeks!) When that happens, I usually notice, and I will typically notify that manager that he has a couple of days to remedy the problem. However, if I notice that that manager has not been active for a couple of weeks and his/her performance has been particularly weak, I might replace that manager immediately without any notice.

Even so, I'm flexible. Longtime managers who barely miss a minimum requirement probably have nothing to worry about. I certainly consider past performance, and I make a very strong effort to contact such managers and give them several days to become active. I also look much more harshly upon people who miss minimum requirements when they are ahead in several of the affected categories--if you're losing all or most of those categories anyway, it's not going to be as serious to me. Most players occasionally forget to set their lineups once or twice during the season--that's not a problem.

If you need to contact me at any time, I suggest posting a message on the league page, but the chat window is fine. My listed email is valid, too, if you need to send a more private message. I respond to every question.

Good luck!

Stu

WarlordJohnCarter

Oct 11, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
No interest yet...I can't blame you. It's not much fun taking over a team that someone else drafted. But it might be fun to try out a different fantasy provider (Fantrax) or a huge league...just don't expect to win many weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad