Speculation: Free Agent Targets

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I would think the answer is Yes. If I'm McPhee and I can get Hanzal in here without going too deep on years, I would sign him.

The real challenge in the way this is set up is finding a way to get top six forwards. Back end won't be elite, but it will be solid. How soon they can really compete is going to come down to the forwards, so yeah if I can get a top six forward in the early UFA period I'd do it.

Minnesota is very likely to be the source of our best d-man out of the draft. You can't pass up on that to sign a guy you'd have a chance at on 7/1.

I just don't think it's worth it to get Hanzal, even on July 1. He's going to be highly sought after by teams who consider themselves to be Cup contenders, and I really don't want to get into a bidding war knowing that we're not going to be competing any time soon. He's also had some injuries, and plays a style that should lead to his body starting to break down as he gets into his 30's - I'd just rather not take that chance. If we can get Jarnkrok and Sheahan in the expansion draft - and possibly one of Nelson/Strome from NYI - our center depth should be decent, with younger/cheaper players that have room to grow with our organization. But hey, that's just me.

One more thought: I think a GREAT target on July 1 will be Cody Franson. As I mentioned when talking about Postma, we're going to be really weak with RHD coming out of the expansion draft, and it'd be great to have a guy with some good all-around experience. Franson over-estimated his value on the UFA market in 2015, and got stuck having to sign a 2-year deal. I would imagine he'll be getting the same kinds of 1- and 2-year deals this summer as well, but I think we can offer him a 3rd year with more $$ than other teams. He'll turn 30 in August, so he's still got some years left in him, and he could slot in nicely into the Top 4 of an expansion team.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
One more thought: I think a GREAT target on July 1 will be Cody Franson. As I mentioned when talking about Postma, we're going to be really weak with RHD coming out of the expansion draft, and it'd be great to have a guy with some good all-around experience. Franson over-estimated his value on the UFA market in 2015, and got stuck having to sign a 2-year deal. I would imagine he'll be getting the same kinds of 1- and 2-year deals this summer as well, but I think we can offer him a 3rd year with more $$ than other teams. He'll turn 30 in August, so he's still got some years left in him, and he could slot in nicely into the Top 4 of an expansion team.

I am not sure about that.

LV can potentially have one of the best RD depth after expansion draft:

Vatanen + Dumba\Brodin + Pysyk\Petrovic + TV Reimsdyk + L.Schenn

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I am not sure about that.

LV can potentially have one of the best RD depth after expansion draft:

Vatanen + Dumba\Brodin + Pysyk\Petrovic + TV Reimsdyk + L.Schenn

- Vatanen is likely going to be traded.
- Minnesota is going to do some maneuvering with Dumba/Brodin to make sure we don't get them.
- Pysyk/Petrovic absolutely. I'm hoping it's Petrovic, but I'm worried the Panthers protect him. Pysyk is not a bad consolation prize though, since I don't like the Demers contract.
- TVR is likely as well, unless the Hawks move him just to spite us.
- Luke Schenn? Is that a good thing? Besides, there's a chance the Coyotes might go 4-4-1 and protect him.

My fear is that teams are going to hold onto their RHD - when I ran my mock draft, this was my Defense (only 3 RHD):

Methot - Fayne
Scandella - TVR
Merrill - Petrovic
Connauton - Koekkoek
D. Pouliot

The question is going to be: will Carolina protect Ryan Murphy? Will Boston protect Colin Miller? Because I'd take either of those guys, but I think they might be protected - Carolina has the protection slots to use on Murphy, so they can always trade him after the ED to recoup some assets.

Fayne isn't the greatest, but having a RD who can play Top 4 minutes is more important to me than being stuck with Benoit Pouliot.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
- Vatanen is likely going to be traded.
- Minnesota is going to do some maneuvering with Dumba/Brodin to make sure we don't get them.
- Pysyk/Petrovic absolutely. I'm hoping it's Petrovic, but I'm worried the Panthers protect him. Pysyk is not a bad consolation prize though, since I don't like the Demers contract.
- TVR is likely as well, unless the Hawks move him just to spite us.
- Luke Schenn? Is that a good thing? Besides, there's a chance the Coyotes might go 4-4-1 and protect him.

My fear is that teams are going to hold onto their RHD - when I ran my mock draft, this was my Defense (only 3 RHD):

Methot - Fayne
Scandella - TVR
Merrill - Petrovic
Connauton - Koekkoek
D. Pouliot

The question is going to be: will Carolina protect Ryan Murphy? Will Boston protect Colin Miller? Because I'd take either of those guys, but I think they might be protected - Carolina has the protection slots to use on Murphy, so they can always trade him after the ED to recoup some assets.

Fayne isn't the greatest, but having a RD who can play Top 4 minutes is more important to me than being stuck with Benoit Pouliot.

If you guys end up with Petrovic that would be impressive. Im all but certain he will be protected.

Fayne is a lot better than his demotion to the Ahl implies. Also heard he was impressive while playing down there.

However, you could easily argue outside of last year Pouliot has been awesome. Fast, hits, great fore checker, solid goal scorer...the only complaint I have with his play, not counting last year, is he takes the odd bad penalty.

I've heard Vegas could have few options for LW, if thats true he would be a good choice. Also Chiarelli obviously wants to move him so Vegas could get a pick as well.

Not trying to sell Pouliot to Vegas just think he would actually be a good selection.

I would be shocked if anyone other than Reinhart was taken by Vegas from the Oilers barring some kind of deal.

Forgot why I came in this thread originally. I think Vegas should back the truck up to Jumbo Joes house. If Vegas wants to be competitive quick he would be a great addition.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
If you guys end up with Petrovic that would be impressive. Im all but certain he will be protected.

Like I said, I don't mind settling for Pysyk.

Fayne is a lot better than his demotion to the Ahl implies. Also heard he was impressive while playing down there.

However, you could easily argue outside of last year Pouliot has been awesome. Fast, hits, great fore checker, solid goal scorer...the only complaint I have with his play, not counting last year, is he takes the odd bad penalty.

I've heard Vegas could have few options for LW, if thats true he would be a good choice. Also Chiarelli obviously wants to move him so Vegas could get a pick as well.

Not trying to sell Pouliot to Vegas just think he would actually be a good selection.

I would be shocked if anyone other than Reinhart was taken by Vegas from the Oilers barring some kind of deal.

To be honest, I'd actually prefer Khaira to Pouliot. We can probably grab Fayne when the Oilers waive him. ;)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Like I said, I don't mind settling for Pysyk.

To be honest, I'd actually prefer Khaira to Pouliot. We can probably grab Fayne when the Oilers waive him. ;)

Pouliot obviously better now Kharia potentially long term.

Kharia is an interesting choice. Highly regarded by GMs but so far anyways "projects" to be a bottom 6 guy at best. Still not an actual nhl calibre player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad