Free Agency: Round 1 Results

Default101

It is age except for guys in College or Euro

Eligible age for NA players (not in college) for this FA period is anyone with a birthdate of earlier than 01/01/88. Anyone with a birth date later than that is still technically draft eligible.

exactly what i was thinking because next years draft will be something like Jan/1/1988-Sept/15/1990 or something along those lines..

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
David Jones VAN $ 800,000 2 - on DET's minor roster

That's embarassing, but I'd be interested in knowing how Jones ended up on Detroit's minor league roster. I did a search of all the prospects lists to see if anybody had drafted him. Because if he was undrafted in the HFNHL (and had to be signed), he could not have been signed before this round of free agency, since he only left college at the end of the year. So unless I'm missing something, the only way Jones should be on Detroit's minor league roster is if he was in fact drafted by them and then signed. Otherwise wouldn't he have been signed prematurely (like at the end of the year when he played a couple games as a pro and we were probably still in the HFNHL regular season?).

Also, in general, regarding Brodeur, I don't think you can lump his contract in with some of the other players that are overpaid. I think in the DVFHL ratings files he was about an 87 overall, the highest rating I saw. Some would argue he's the best goalie now, and the best goalie ever. And he's remarkably durable, even though he's old, so I'm confident that if his game slips or his health falters, that he will probably just retire anyways. He's a legitimate superstar and there are other superstars that can earn close to or at the maximum.

I also just looked at my team and whether I could afford to pay Brodeur that amount of money. Staal has one more year on an entry level deal, Meszaros and Eaves two each, and Malkin and Stafford will have three. So I can handle it this year, and the cap (and presumably revenues) are going up next year, when my only guy really due for a raise would be Staal.

I calculated that I could make this type of offer. I've never made big free agent signings in the past, so it's not like I'm notorious for throwing around money. But I've been planning to make a big offer this summer (eg. dumping Naslund's contract) for a while. It was a calculated move, and hopefully one that does more good than bad for my club.

Last edited:

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
I negotiated with Reggie on Brodeur and offered what I thought was reasonable and way above what he was making on the NHL. Reggie passed because he felt he could get well over $7mil for him. He was right. The Bulin "Holes in the" Wall and Kolzig received big offers but in Kolzig's case he was second on my list and if I lost out on Brodeur than I wanted to make sure I signed Kolz, who I thought was the next best goalie out there and had the best season outside of Brodeur as far as free agents go and I certainly couldn't go into the season with James Howard as my #1. Don't really know if that was the case with the commish and his signing but if you have a major need for a goalie, you have to pay. What's the average of the top 15 starting goalies in the NHL? I'm sure its somewhere around $4 million.

In a way, I've been called out twice in this thread, so I'll address my signings briefly.

In the case of Khabibulin, with all due respect to Sean Burke, I couldn't go through another season with really questionable goaltending. I've had shaky goaltending ever since I joined the league, for crying out loud. Not willing to spend megabucks on Brodeur, I decided to go after the next best thing, which I deemed to be Khabibulin. The way I saw things, Khabibulin and Kolzig were on a par with one another, and Khabibulin won the tie-breaker on age. Knowing that Nabokov had resigned with Edmonton for $5.5M, I had the market for Khabibulin and Kolzig pegged at $4.5M. So I went a little bit over that in an attempt to make sure I finally obtained a legitimate starter.

In the case of Boynton, Ville keeps calling him a 3rd-pairing defenseman, and obviously I disagree with that assessment. The NHL's Phoenix Coyotes are such a dysfunctional team that I discount just about everything that happens in the desert. The fact remains that Boynton is big, aggressive, skates well, defends well, has been an All-Star, and is only 28. He makes almost $3M in the NHL. Given the market for defensemen in the NHL, and given that signing Boynton would make certain that Jon Klemm comes off of my cap, I hardly think that $2.5M is drastically out of line. What it comes down to is whether or not you think Boynton is worth the picks. For what it's worth, Boynton was not the highest priority defenseman on my list.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Personally, I don't think Brodeur is overpaid - anyone thinking they would get him for $6.5M was dreaming given his deal with Jersey is both a home town deal and ridiculously long to ensure him the ultimate in long-term value assuming he still wants to keep playing. As to Kolzig and Khabibulin, I think they are worth while risks if you have the cap room.

The bottom line is salaries for certain teams will make sense, where they don't make sense for others. If your team has a lot of cash and you have plenty of cap room, why wouldn't you pay top dollar to ensure you get a guy you need, even if it is well above what they are 'worth'? The key though, is these teams need to ensure they have enough cash to stay afloat. Assuming that's the case, I have no problem with the deals. Hell, I wish I could use my bank balance to do more. With cap restrictions, the only good it does me is to buy-out a bad deal or sweeten a trade with a bit of cash.

And I think the Boynton signing was a decent calculated risk Matt. He was a beast in Beantown there for a while and could certainly bounce back. With his previous contract, I'd been trying to trade for him for 2 years now!

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
That's embarassing, but I'd be interested in knowing how Jones ended up on Detroit's minor league roster. I did a search of all the prospects lists to see if anybody had drafted him. Because if he was undrafted in the HFNHL (and had to be signed), he could not have been signed before this round of free agency, since he only left college at the end of the year. So unless I'm missing something, the only way Jones should be on Detroit's minor league roster is if he was in fact drafted by them and then signed. Otherwise wouldn't he have been signed prematurely (like at the end of the year when he played a couple games as a pro and we were probably still in the HFNHL regular season?).

Also, in general, regarding Brodeur, I don't think you can lump his contract in with some of the other players that are overpaid. I think in the DVFHL ratings files he was about an 87 overall, the highest rating I saw. Some would argue he's the best goalie now, and the best goalie ever. And he's remarkably durable, even though he's old, so I'm confident that if his game slips or his health falters, that he will probably just retire anyways. He's a legitimate superstar and there are other superstars that can earn close to or at the maximum.

I also just looked at my team and whether I could afford to pay Brodeur that amount of money. Staal has one more year on an entry level deal, Meszaros and Eaves two each, and Malkin and Stafford will have three. So I can handle it this year, and the cap (and presumably revenues) are going up next year, when my only guy really due for a raise would be Staal.

I calculated that I could make this type of offer. I've never made big free agent signings in the past, so it's not like I'm notorious for throwing around money. But I've been planning to make a big offer this summer (eg. dumping Naslund's contract) for a while. It was a calculated move, and hopefully one that does more good than bad for my club.

Interesting comments on Jones. Maybe Drew can shed some light.

I looked over the 2006 free agency page but did not see him listed anywhere.
http://hfnhl.com/freeagency/2006.html

Could he have been a prospect release and sign at some point?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica

Sean, my opinion obviously counts for little, but here it is anyway. This is a fantastic deal for the Canucks. Your team can afford Brodeur. He's not some flash in the pan. He has a long life left. He's the best goalie in the game. Period. FANTASTIC move to snag him.

Obviously other teams who could have had him may not have been in the same position financially etc. and it would have spelled doom. Not so in your case. There are only a handful of players worth 8 million (and I have one player who probably isn't worth that) and Brodeur tops that list.

Great move. Anyone who says otherwise is jealous. You are one of the best GM's in this league, you always balance out your deals and have one of the best run franchises. Despite the fact you are my closest competition I know that you've made a great move in landing the best goalie in the league and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Default101

it happened with brodeur, it will happen to luongo, 4 year - 8M offers will come through for goaltenders like that, 10 years ago it would have happened for Roy, who knows maybe 10 years from now it will happen to Fleury or Miller, but when one of the 1-3 dominant goaltenders go on the open market, there will be teams taht offer him the max, i wold never offer the max for mccabe, and i'm out of the running for him if someone does, but when it comes to the top level talent it will happen. I personally was in a horrible goaltending position, it's still not going to be that great next year, and Brodeur would have fixed my goaltending situation for the next 4 years, so i was one of the few willing to offer that much. He is worth it, right now i think maybe a few players if they hit the open market would eb worth max, Crosby, Ovechkin, Neidermayer, Brodeur and Luongo, thats just my opinion.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Kevin Lowe signs Penner to offer sheet

Big jerk or desperate GM who is trying too hard?

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Interesting comments on Jones. Maybe Drew can shed some light.

I looked over the 2006 free agency page but did not see him listed anywhere.
http://hfnhl.com/freeagency/2006.html

Could he have been a prospect release and sign at some point?

Jones was signed by Detroit out Coquitlam of the BCHL as a Free Agent prior to his college career.

Interesting to see the GMs who are quickest to defend their signings are the ones who least need to. Brodeur, Boynton, even Greene are reasonable and calculated.

I only hope I can say the same after round 2...

chump06

Jones was signed by Detroit out Coquitlam of the BCHL as a Free Agent prior to his college career.

Interesting to see the GMs who are quickest to defend their signings are the ones who least need to. Brodeur, Boynton, even Greene are reasonable and calculated.

Aight, i guess this is directed somewhat at me and the Nolan offer... I just wanted to make sure i got either him or murray. Yeah i know it is an overpayment, but its only 2 years and he helps. So whatever, we'll see who's laughing when the Sens do what no HFNHL team has ever done before, repeat as champions... :silly:

Sabres offer sent in.

and I paid $8M x 4 for Jagr last year. someone offered $8M for 3 and 7.5 for 4 but I'm really glad I got him. 88 rating last year (barring Lemieux a record high?) and an 85 this year. I'd rather pay 8M for an 85 than 6.5-7M for a 80-81 (eg. Demitra)

Brodeur is a no risk deal IMO. maybe the 4th year but like Sean said, i think he'll retire. Same for Jagr if he turns bad. That said, both are still at the elite level.

my 2 cents

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

Interesting about Jones. I didn't realize you could sign a player before their college career, so that never occurred to me. My apologies for the confusion, but I'll take your word for it that that explanation is sufficient.

Regarding Brodeur, I defended it because there were a few people who commented on it and I felt it could so easily be defended because it didn't really need to be.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Of note, Buffalo is included in the bidding for Ty Conlin given an oversight. As such, the new "highest offer to date" for Conklin is 2 years x $850,000. San Jose, Chicago, and Carolina in particular should take note and can re-submit offers to Conklin if they wish based on this new information.

E-mails to each party have been sent.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Of note, Buffalo is included in the bidding for Ty Conlin given an oversight. As such, the new "highest offer to date" for Conklin is 2 years x $850,000. San Jose, Chicago, and Carolina in particular should take note and can re-submit offers to Conklin if they wish based on this new information.

E-mails to each party have been sent.

Page updated with this. Linden's contract terms also corrected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->