Free Agency and Trade Thread: Off-season alive and well ... for some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What about picking at the scraps of LA? They have like no cap space and need scoring badly. I wonder what would do the trick for them?

Martinez for Brown and 25th?

Martinez is a 2nd pairing defenseman who is more or less a product of a very effective defensive system. He may do well with someone like Zaitsev, but he's not worth a 1st and Brown. Not even close.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Dubas might make a deal with Florida regarding Adam Mascherin , a 2016 2nd round draft pick, who will not sign with the Panthers and whose rights expire on June 1st.
Presumably Dubas would have seen Mascherin as he was on a line with the Kitchener Rangers with Jeremy Bracco when the Leafs were scouting him.
If Dubas feels he is an asset worth exploring it could be a way to get a borderline first round talent for a bargain cost.
He would have to feel that he could sell Mascherin on the idea of coming to Toronto though to be worth risking whatever it would cost for his rights.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
@Boutette that makes a strong case for giving him the benefit of the doubt and grabbing a 3rd year but signing him right to UFA completely counters the benefit and hurts us in the long term. It's just not a smart move, there's a reason Brown got 3 instead of 4.

Market value = Two years @ ~.95 one year at 2.1-4 (Split the difference and call it 3). 5 mill over 3 years = 1.67.
That's a contract I could get behind.

So would I but I've got doubts Johnsson and his agent would

I've thought about it and I'd offer Johnsson 1M×1

That contract has some good benefits for us

- We get a decent looking at Johnsson in an expanded role at the NHL for a year
- he's already in his mid 20's so the sooner we get him on a mid to longer term contract the better (if he does well this year) so we get his prime years with less risk at the backend of the deal
- it will keep Johnsson and his agent relatively happy
- were buy more RFA years and he's not got a long proven NHL track record so that should keep the AAV down somewhat

Reactions: 4thline

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Martinez is a 2nd pairing defenseman who is more or less a product of a very effective defensive system. He may do well with someone like Zaitsev, but he's not worth a 1st and Brown. Not even close.

Interesting point about the system. You think he would still be a good fit, dependent on price of course.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So would I but I've got doubts Johnsson and his agent would

I've thought about it and I'd offer Johnsson 1M×1

That contract has some good benefits for us

- We get a decent looking at Johnsson in an expanded role at the NHL for a year
- he's already in his mid 20's so the sooner we get him on a mid to longer term contract the better (if he does well this year) so we get his prime years with less risk at the backend of the deal
- it will keep Johnsson and his agent relatively happy
- were buy more RFA years and he's not got a long proven NHL track record so that should keep the AAV down somewhat

That would be good, handshake agreement comparable to Kadri's, with Arvidsson (4.1 after 30/30 with arbitration rights) setting the upper bound for a 6 year deal

Reactions: Kiwi

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
??He's left handed. 30 years old. Coming off a 25 point season??

Who cares which way he shoots. If he plays RD, we could care less.

His deal ends in three years, so it'll end at an appropriate age of ~33. His point totals are somewhat concerning given his PP time, but he's more known for solid defensive play than high end offensive totals.

He's not getting a 1st from us. He came off of a down year, and if LA moves him, it's because they want cap space. I would hope we use that to our advantage. Korshkov + Carrick + a 4th and I would do it. If it was Brown over Korshkov, I'd have to think hard about it.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Like @Sypher04 I currently see our lineup as

Johnsson-Matthews-Hyman
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
xxx-Nylander-Kap/Brown
xxx-xxx-Kap/Brown

If we're not in on any of the big fish a solid opportunity to cap poach would be the Sharks target Braun for Rielly's partner and scoop up Boedker for next to nothing to give Nylander a solid 2 way top 6 wing beside him.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Johnsson-Matthews-Hyman
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
xxx-Nylander-Kap/Brown
xxx-xxx-Kap/Brown

If we're not in on any of the big fish a solid opportunity to cap poach would be the Sharks target Braun for Rielly's partner and scoop up Boedker for next to nothing to give Nylander a solid 2 way top 6 wing beside him.

Lindholm has a shot at 4C and I'd seriously look at Aaltonen and Grundstrom to fill the LW spots

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Johnsson-Matthews-Hyman
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
xxx-Nylander-Kap/Brown
xxx-xxx-Kap/Brown

I don't know if San Jose is really going to be super desperate to dump Boedker after last season. He wasn't too bad.

We do need another top 9 winger, so I'd definitely take on the last two years of Boedker if he came for really cheap, but I think Johnsson will be on the 4th line next year. However Babcock is known for shaking up lines and all 8 guys could play anywhere we want them to play, so it can keep on changing until he finds something he likes.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Boedker-Nylander-Kapanen
Johnsson-Lindholm-Leivo
Gauthier

One thing is for sure, it's time for Nylander to move to center. We have too many talented RW's and we need more talent at center with very few great options out there right now. It's time.

As for a trade with SJS, weren't they a potential option for Gardiner for a while now? We could offer up Gardiner, Martin and maybe Carrick for Boedker and Braun as a base and see where it goes. We'd take on a little bit of salary, depending upon what Carrick makes, but it's not a whole lot. Boedker + Braun make 7.8 for the next two years, Gardiner + Martin is 6.55 and Carrick likely does not make much more than 1 mill next year.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Dubas might make a deal with Florida regarding Adam Mascherin , a 2016 2nd round draft pick, who will not sign with the Panthers and whose rights expire on June 1st.
Presumably Dubas would have seen Mascherin as he was on a line with the Kitchener Rangers with Jeremy Bracco when the Leafs were scouting him.
If Dubas feels he is an asset worth exploring it could be a way to get a borderline first round talent for a bargain cost.
He would have to feel that he could sell Mascherin on the idea of coming to Toronto though to be worth risking whatever it would cost for his rights.
I'd be interested in Ekblad as well. Tallon is terrible as far as evaluating talent, Ekblad has "struggled" and is well worth the risk IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Johnsson-Matthews-Hyman
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
xxx-Nylander-Kap/Brown
xxx-xxx-Kap/Brown

Yeah sounds about right. I do feel like we'll add a player like Czarnik and/or Ryan for depth. We all forget here but Leivo is still around and he 100% deserves a shot to get minutes.

I've mentioned it before but it seems like a great opportunity to chase high priced low term players that some teams wouldn't mind removing from their payroll or cap space but are still efficient players to give us a boost and experience. There aren't many that fit the bill here though.

The Leafs have historically always spent to the cap. This might be an exception because of our situation but there will always be apart of me that will anticipate adding salary one way or another.

My take:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Leivo - XXX -Kapanen
Johnsson-Aaltonen-Brown
Lindholm / Gauthier

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Yeah sounds about right. I do feel like we'll add a player like Czarnik and/or Ryan for depth. We all forget here but Leivo is still around and he 100% deserves a shot to get minutes.

I've mentioned it before but it seems like a great opportunity to chase high priced low term players that some teams wouldn't mind removing from their payroll or cap space but are still efficient players to give us a boost and experience. There aren't many that fit the bill here though.

The Leafs have historically always spent to the cap. This might be an exception because of our situation but there will always be apart of me that will anticipate adding salary one way or another.

My take:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Leivo - XXX -Kapanen
Johnsson-Aaltonen-Brown
Lindholm / Gauthier

I agree that the team will probably do some spending. But hopefully that will be in our areas of need which are majorly defense and minorly center. What Toronto doesn't need is to blow their wad on high priced short term aging wingers as some people are hoping we do (names like Kovalchuck, Nash, etc have been mentioned). That would be as much a waste of resources as signing another 1st string goalie.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You know who I’ve liked for the Marlies? Colin Greening.

Could be a sleeper for our 4C position

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You know who I’ve liked for the Marlies? Colin Greening.

Could be a sleeper for our 4C position

I've always liked him. Fairly underrated, even in his stint with the Leafs. He'll probably get a lot of offers overseas though.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'd be interested in Ekblad as well. Tallon is terrible as far as evaluating talent, Ekblad has "struggled" and is well worth the risk IMO.
The mystique behind the draft position, the age, and the toolset says even after a down year he would cost dearly. A big strong top pairing D is the highest value asset out there. Willie and a 1st wouldn't do it. Adding Gardner might get them close because he will have GMs that look at the speed and the points and think they need his game. Too pricey IMO, although I like him too. If they want to buy a stud D at least get a sure thing and pay whatever it costs.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I don't know if San Jose is really going to be super desperate to dump Boedker after last season. He wasn't too bad.

We do need another top 9 winger, so I'd definitely take on the last two years of Boedker if he came for really cheap, but I think Johnsson will be on the 4th line next year. However Babcock is known for shaking up lines and all 8 guys could play anywhere we want them to play, so it can keep on changing until he finds something he likes.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Boedker-Nylander-Kapanen
Johnsson-Lindholm-Leivo
Gauthier

One thing is for sure, it's time for Nylander to move to center. We have too many talented RW's and we need more talent at center with very few great options out there right now. It's time.

As for a trade with SJS, weren't they a potential option for Gardiner for a while now? We could offer up Gardiner, Martin and maybe Carrick for Boedker and Braun as a base and see where it goes. We'd take on a little bit of salary, depending upon what Carrick makes, but it's not a whole lot. Boedker + Braun make 7.8 for the next two years, Gardiner + Martin is 6.55 and Carrick likely does not make much more than 1 mill next year.
I think Grundstrom will play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->