Prospect Info: Fredrik Claesson - potential

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
As the prospect rankings are wrapping up, I thought I'd do a little activity to see what we all expect from our prospects.

Select the poll option that is closest to what you see as the players potential.

#5 - Fredrik Claesson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd love for him to be on a Stralman type path, though Stralman had far more offensive upside I think.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
High end 3rd pairing guy who you can trust not to crap the bed when he's forced up the depth chart when injuries hit, who we part ways with in a few years when some other team desperate for top-4 defencemen foolishly overpays for him when he hits UFA.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I guess a #2 in the same way Methot was a #2..

Playing next to Karlsson.. away from Karlsson neither are top pair guys..

Methot was a #4 who played on the top pair. Methot was #4 in EV TOI, #4 in PK TOI, and no PP. I think something similar for Claesson is realistic, except maybe for some PP time instead of PK time.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
All I know is I like lots about him and dislike nothing about him which I think is a good thing for a d man.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Probably ends up as a decent 2nd pair guy or a great bottom pairing D.

If he plays with EK he could look/perform like a top 4 D as soon as next season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
High end 3rd pairing guy who you can trust not to crap the bed when he's forced up the depth chart when injuries hit, who we part ways with in a few years when some other team desperate for top-4 defencemen foolishly overpays for him when he hits UFA.

Agree with the bolded. I do not see Methot level D from Claesson. He can bring a little more offense than Methot but imo Methot is a much more valuable D than Claesson. I know a lot of sens fans have high hopes for him but IMO he is a good #5 that can slide up now and then

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Agree with the bolded. I do not see Methot level D from Claesson. He can bring a little more offense than Methot but imo Methot is a much more valuable D than Claesson. I know a lot of sens fans have high hopes for him but IMO he is a good #5 that can slide up now and then

A little more offense? Claesson can put up a lot more offense than Methot. The guy can actually shoot the puck, he has a wicked shot compared to Methot and can jump in plays unlike Methot. They are different, but I don't think Methot is much better than Claesson overall. Of coure that's just IMO.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
A little more offense? Claesson can put up a lot more offense than Methot. The guy can actually shoot the puck, he has a wicked shot compared to Methot and can jump in plays unlike Methot. They are different, but I don't think Methot is much better than Claesson overall. Of coure that's just IMO.

I see both has pure defensive D with OK skating and transition. Methot is smart at the blueline but has no offensive zone tools. Claesson has the wicked shot but I dont see anything beyond that.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I see both has pure defensive D with OK skating and transition. Methot is smart at the blueline but has no offensive zone tools. Claesson has the wicked shot but I dont see anything beyond that.

Claesson has a pretty good poise, breakout, and first pass. Same with Harpur.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Claesson has a pretty good poise, breakout, and first pass. Same with Harpur.

Claeson seemed more adventurous, offensively speaking, than Harpur.

I think both have high ceilings however. And with Phaneuf and Karlsson, we have perfect teachers.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Don't sleep on Claesson. This guy will surprise this season and will easily become a fan favourite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad