Freddy "The Goat" Gauthier

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So you'll have the same opinion of Brown then, I suppose? it is also his line, after all.
At times, I do. I also see Brown play up in the lineup, make more plays, and he doesnt struggle to keep up the way Goat does.

Brown isn't having the season he did last year, but he clearly looks like an NHLer. Not sure you can say the same for Freddy.

Goat is noticeable, and not usually in a good way at this point.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
Goat is noticeable, and not usually in a good way at this point.
Agree to disagree I guess. I think he's been better than our other 4C's this year in these few games.

Just to be clear, my vouching for him is also rooted on his future value WRT contracts and the cap situation this team will face. Is he as good an option as other 4C's in the league? Probably not, but moving forward, the Leafs may not have the luxury of exploring that route in free agency (i.e. a Brian Boyle type for 2+ M per) given the potential cap crunch they may face in the future.

As a controllable asset that won't be too much of a burden on the cap in the years ahead, Goat is a good value play for what he provides. If they find someone who provides the same value and performance in the meantime, so be it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Hate to say it, but his skating or at least first two strides are slowing him. If he can improve on that, he is a solid option at 4C.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I mean maybe he gets better, but so far he's been just awful.

and yes, a downgrade from moore.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
personally i don't see what was wrong with moore. seemed a fine 4th line C to me.

It's too early to throw up possession numbers or anything like that.
But, so far, I'd DEFINITELY agree with (i think a majority) of posters who think he has been better than Moore.

I think he's been pretty good actually!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I mean maybe he gets better, but so far he's been just awful.

and yes, a downgrade from moore.
I didn't pay super close attention but maybe you know why Martin and Brown were our two best possession players and Goat was our worst. That's pretty weird

member 147413

Bad game last night, but played well the other two games. Better than Moore.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I didn't pay super close attention but maybe you know why Martin and Brown were our two best possession players and Goat was our worst. That's pretty weird

It is weird. Eye test suggests Goat is far better than Moore and at this point a tad behind Fehr and that's mostly experience. I don't count offense in this because its silly to do that for 4th line. The sample is so small using advanced stats is silly to bother with. You can see, sure we have been in our zone a bit but nothing happens. Its all just contested pucks and around the wall crap.

Depends how well you trust my eye though

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
He reminds me of Steckel when he was with the Leafs. Miro Aaltonen looked like one of our better centers in preseason, hopefully he gets a call up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
what eye test are you guys using? my eye test shows me a guy who i'm praying can just put the puck into a safe spot instead of coughing it up every time he touches it.

Reactions: Gallagbi

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

it just came down to one shift where kadri ended up centering Martin and brown and they spent the whole shift in the ozone.....until martin took a penalty.

Reactions: stickty111

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Goat's game is WAYYY too passive. He could be something if he had some jam to his game, but he just doesn't. Reminds me of Peter Holland in that way except Holland has better skill set.
Altonnen might be somebody they can go with next season.

Reactions: stickty111

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I hope to be proven wrong, but so far I see him being somewhere between a career AHLer and Steckel, vs. turning into a quality NHLer like Boyle. Slow, not very tough/physical, can’t do much with the puck.

On the bright side, he’s 22, and big men are often late bloomers. He’s also got some good defensive instincts. However, I don’t think he’s an NHLer at the moment, and it’s decently possible he never will be.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I guess if he was an extra forward making league minimum that is fine, but likely will want a better 4C next year.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
it just came down to one shift where kadri ended up centering Martin and brown and they spent the whole shift in the ozone.....until martin took a penalty.
I see. Mart-goat-brown should be the best 4th line in the league at a glance. Not sure how goat had such a bad night

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
22 year old 4C adjusting to the NHL. He’ll be better, he just needs time. I still dislike the pick but I think he will hit his potential if we’re patient with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->