Speculation: Freddy Andersen is the best leafs tender since CUJO

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
Andersen is an average NHL starter at best. He was average in the regular season the past two years, average in the playoffs last year, and garbage in the playoffs this year. He just doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude to be consistent.

To me the fact he never takes responsibility for when he plays like crap is a huge red flag. I have never seen anyone who is successful and has a winning attitude who didn't take responsibility when they perform poorly. In any field, not just hockey. In order to be great, you HAVE to be able to challenge yourself to do better.

I'd rather have Chris Osgood. A guy who was never elite, but at least you could depend on him not to stink it up.

Yes, Chris Osgood would definitely help us beat the Bruins! Go apply for the GM position before someone dumb like Dubas takes over or they re-sign Lou. You're the saviour we need!

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Yes, Chris Osgood would definitely help us beat the Bruins! Go apply for the GM position before someone dumb like Dubas takes over or they re-sign Lou. You're the saviour we need!

I'd be a better GM than a 75 year old, that's for sure, but I think Dubas is the man. We're probably stuck with Freddy for a few more years given his contract and the fact we gave up a 1st for him, but hopefully Dubas can find a good backup who'll be ready to at least split the #1 role in a year or two.

From r/hockey: "Frederik Andersen is now 0-3 in game seven. 12 goals on 81 shots for an .851Sv%"

Mental. Midget.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
@OP Belfour was better than Cujo so.....I was so bummed when Cujo left, Belfour signed on my 22nd birthday so I was bummed thinking ''Quinn sucks'' There was a lot of leafs fans back then who thought Quinn was a bad GM, good coach bad gm. Then Belfour went nuts that season. The Nhl before the lockout was perfect for Eddie. I dont know if we have ever had a better puck handling Goalie in franchise history.

There was a calm when eddie was in net, we all knew we were going to win. We beat an Ottawa team in the playoffs we had no business beating. Eddie stole that series.Then we ran into Primeau who was the best player in the world for 3 months.

Eddie was no joke either, he was a nasty bugger in the crease

Eddie is top five leafs goalie of all time, if he had more tim ehe he would be top 2 imo
based on 2 good seasons and an awful one? not a chance

Reactions: WildWolfdog

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
I'd be a better GM than a 75 year old, that's for sure, but I think Dubas is the man. We're probably stuck with Freddy for a few more years given his contract and the fact we gave up a 1st for him, but hopefully Dubas can find a good backup who'll be ready to at least split the #1 role in a year or two.

From r/hockey: "Frederik Andersen is now 0-3 in game seven. 12 goals on 81 shots for an .851Sv%"

Mental. Midget.

A 75 year with how many cups to his name?

121 more saves than the next goalie, in the same number of games. 38 wins, tied for 10th in save percentage for any goalie who played more than 45 games this year.

Yeah, real mental midget.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Mental. Midget.

your hot takes are awful. freddie is the guy for the next 3 years, possible more. no one is gonna split the role, id be willing to bet anything on that.

leafs nation is hilarious. this guy STOLE us games 5 and 6, but he has a bad game 7 and he is "average"

no dude, .918sv% isnt average. league average was .912 this year. get lost

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008

Mental. Midget.

And is Tuuka Rask an elite goaltender or is he also "just decent".

He was 1-2 in Game 7s (with the 1 win coming in 2013 against the Leafs and their historic meltdown).

3.60 goals against average and an .849 save percentage. And today he gave up 4 goals with an .833 save percentage.

I guess the Bruins should get rid of him as well.

Reactions: Hulide

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
And is Tuuka Rask an elite goaltender or is he also "just decent".

He was 1-2 in Game 7s (with the 1 win coming in 2013 against the Leafs and their historic meltdown).

3.60 goals against average and an .849 save percentage. And today he gave up 4 goals with an .833 save percentage.

I guess the Bruins should get rid of him as well.
Rask is like #1 in playoff sv% over the last 6 years. Andersen isn't even close to that good

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
A 75 year with how many cups to his name?

How is that relevant? After he dies are you going to suggest his corpse would do a better job? He ran the Devils into the ground before he joined the Leafs, I respect what he's done, but at age 75 his brain just isn't what it used to be (plus, the game and league has changed, things that worked 20 years ago don't work now).

121 more saves than the next goalie, in the same number of games. 38 wins, tied for 10th in save percentage for any goalie who played more than 45 games this year.

Yeah, real mental midget.

A lot of saves just means he played a lot, not that he was good. Stop acting like he's a Vezina nominee. He's not. He's average.

He can't perform with any consistency, and sucks in pressure situations. Sorry, but that's what his track record says. And until he admits it, he's probably not going to get any better. Living in denial will get you nowhere.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
your hot takes are awful. freddie is the guy for the next 3 years, possible more. no one is gonna split the role, id be willing to bet anything on that.

leafs nation is hilarious. this guy STOLE us games 5 and 6, but he has a bad game 7 and he is "average"

Hint: if you gift the other team a game for every game you steal, you're average. That's how averages work. Math!

Elite goalies don't gift the other team ANY games, and also steal games on occasion. If you think Andersen is elite, you're kidding yourself.

no dude, .918sv% isnt average. league average was .912 this year. get lost

You're counting backup goalies. He's 17th in sv% among qualified goalies. That's average.

Do the Andersen apologists not realize that EVERY goalie in the NHL is required to make tough saves EVERY game? It's the freakin' national league, that's par for the course. You don't get off the hook for terrible goals just because you made some awesome saves.

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Listen, I am not saying Andy didn't let in a stinker here and there, but every tender does guys.

Seriously, look at the D he has in front of him, not many goalies are elite with garbage D and shaky gap coverage as a team in general.

You could put Hasek, Brodeur, or Roy on this team, and they are still only human.

Andy with proper defence is fine, and with this he still won 37 games and faced the most shots in the league. I think many people underestimate the garbage that plays in front of him at times.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Hint: if you gift the other team a game for every game you steal, you're average. That's how averages work. Math!

Elite goalies don't gift the other team ANY games, and also steal games on occasion. If you think Andersen is elite, you're kidding yourself.

You're counting backup goalies. He's 17th in sv% among qualified goalies. That's average.

Do the Andersen apologists not realize that EVERY goalie in the NHL is required to make tough saves EVERY game? It's the freakin' national league, that's par for the course. You don't get off the hook for terrible goals just because you made some awesome saves.

I bet most goalies on that list play for a better defence and defence system in general.

Reactions: Hulide

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011
Lol what? Decent? I guess his.952 / .933 / .970 save percentages in their 3 wins were just decent? 40 / 42 / 32 saves were also just decent?

Yeah, you and your ilk deserve Toskala and Gustavsson goaltending.

Yea, picking and choosing stats is great when it fits your narrative. His GAA was 3.76 and SV % .896 in the series. He had a few good games but overall he was trash and he cost us.

Reactions: Al14 and ToMaLe

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
An "average" NHL goalie is someone who will be amazing quite a bit of the time. That's the talent needed with getting to that level of accomplishment.
The best of the best are the elite Freddy is not at that level.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
An "average" NHL goalie is someone who will be amazing quite a bit of the time. That's the talent needed with getting to that level of accomplishment.
The best of the best are the elite Freddy is not at that level.

Not sure if average is the right term but that is correct. I'd say he's average among #1 goaltenders where he can get hot but super cold. Elite goaltenders are consistently at the top and bail out their team on a regular basis.

That third period from Andersen was straight out of a horror book.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Yes, I believe Andersen is the best leafs tender since CUJO but it's a difficult one since the players around him are much better than in the past (which obviously matters a lot too).

The Leafs since CUJO became like some kind of graveyard for talanted goalies but Andersen finally stopped this pathetic trend, I assume Andersen is extremely strong mentally dealing with the increadible pressure in Toronto.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Good tender, convinced he was playing injured and I am not saying just his body. I think he took too many off the head near the end of the season. He was off.

When he got elbowed in the head the first time he should have slashed the guys ankle. With close to break force, I would have.

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
Yea, picking and choosing stats is great when it fits your narrative. His GAA was 3.76 and SV % .896 in the series. He had a few good games but overall he was trash and he cost us.

Even if he won 3 games and lost 3 games (unless you're putting the game 4 loss with the two breakaways on him, which I'm sure you will) it doesn't mean "he had a few good games but overall was trash".

That means he won them 3 games and "lost them" 3 games.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
a good nhl goalie

elite? not even close! is he great? no, hes short of great, makes big saves and a lot of saves but also lets in too many goals, has a great game, then good game, then bad one, then horrible horrible ones at times

but hes a solid, good goalie, and those are not easy to come by, but hes nothing more than that, if your offense and D are great enough, he can get you wins and win series, but hes not close to good enough to steal series away if your D and offense dont show up

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad