Speculation: Freddy Andersen is the best leafs tender since CUJO

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
I think Andersen was a valuable acquisition and I would make that trade again in a heartbeat. That said, it's looking more and more like he might be a placeholder until we truly compete for the cup and find a young true number 1 to usurp him. He really let us down in the most important game of the year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Andersen didn't come out ready to play. He had to stop the 4th goal and probably 1 in the first to preserve the 1-0 or 2-1 leads.

He's a question mark at this point.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
We did not play well tonight but the reality is the 3rd period choke is on Andersen. The tying and go ahead goal for Boston were both weak...He makes those saves Pastrnak probably doesnt even get that chance and we probably win or at very least are going to OT.

Andersen is known as a bad playoff goalie from his Anaheim days. I thought he was getting passed it with his play to get us back tied in this series...But in the end he chokes in the 3rd and his reputation as a poor playoff performer continues.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Balfour or Cujo carries this team to series victories they didn’t deserve. Andersen hasn’t done **** when it mattered. Til he becomes more consistent, he’s basically a slightly better Bernier.

Odd series when trying to evaluate Andersen, IMO.

This series is a sweep if he doesn't stand tall in game 3. It doesn't go 7 if he isn't the 1st star in games 5 and 6.

And yet, just one or two saves tonight and we are in the second round.

That's how fine the margins are at this time of year. Andersen let us down tonight.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
I think Andersen was a valuable acquisition and I would make that trade again in a heartbeat. That said, it's looking more and more like he might be a placeholder until we truly compete for the cup and find a young true number 1 to usurp him. He really let us down in the most important game of the year.

I don't think it's a case that we'll have another goalie to replace Andersen with in order for this group to be ready to win the Cup, it might simply be - and it's something I've been repeating a few seasons now - that our club will have matured past Andersen's prime.

I don't think Andersen let us down per se. On the post-game talk, a point was made about how Boston was determined to take the game out of Tuukka Rask's hands given how poorly he played tonight. A stat was pointed out indicating it took Toronto almost 10 minutes to register it's first shot on net. So let's flip that on it's head...Said otherwise, Boston's skaters shielded their goalie from threat for almost half of the period. And that's really interesting when we begin to think about the value of our goalie. It seems in Boston, that their club saw that Rask was floundering (and floundering worse than Andersen) and AS A TEAM redefined his level of responsibility so as to affect a different seemingly inevitable outcome.

Has anyone on our boards spoken about that kind of response with respect to Andersen? Why isn't that the reflexive perspective? That for most of the year and most of the series Andersen's been a very good goalie for this team. But even if he hadn't been, why wouldn't it be slightly more incumbent on our group AS A TEAM doing to Boston what Boston did to us, but on behalf of our struggling goalie?

Four goals, I say Andersen is exempt from and one of them is the empty net goal. Rask played far worse than our goalie. The difference is, Boston executed a necessary team game from experience. They likely took their coach's altered improvisation and as a unit, made it work. The problem with our club, is we're simply too inexperienced to accommodate that level of focused commitment. And nothing but experience is going to bring that out of our club.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
I don't think it's a case that we'll have another goalie to replace Andersen with in order for this group to be ready to win the Cup, it might simply be - and it's something I've been repeating a few seasons now - that our club will have matured past Andersen's prime.

I don't think Andersen let us down per se. On the post-game talk, a point was made about how Boston was determined to take the game out of Tuukka Rask's hands given how poorly he played tonight. A stat was pointed out indicating it took Toronto almost 10 minutes to register it's first shot on net. So let's flip that on it's head...Said otherwise, Boston's skaters shielded their goalie from threat for almost half of the period. And that's really interesting when we begin to think about the value of our goalie. It seems in Boston, that their club saw that Rask was floundering (and floundering worse than Andersen) and AS A TEAM redefined his level of responsibility so as to affect a different seemingly inevitable outcome.

Has anyone on our boards spoken about that kind of response with respect to Andersen? Why isn't that the reflexive perspective? That for most of the year and most of the series Andersen's been a very good goalie for this team. But even if he hadn't been, why wouldn't it be slightly more incumbent on our group AS A TEAM doing to Boston what Boston did to us, but on behalf of our struggling goalie?

Four goals, I say Andersen is exempt from and one of them is the empty net goal. Rask played far worse than our goalie. The difference is, Boston executed a necessary team game from experience. They likely took their coach's altered improvisation and as a unit, made it work. The problem with our club, is we're simply too inexperienced to accommodate that level of focused commitment. And nothing but experience is going to bring that out of our club.
There's no denying the Leafs choked in the third, but they should have known what was coming. Everyone knows what happened 5 years ago. Andersen failed to rise to the challenge of bailing his team out when it mattered the most. He outplayed Rask sure, but that doesn't mean he played well and that doesn't mean the ones he let in weren't stoppable. It was a collective team failure once again with Andersen shouldering a good amount of the blame. He has I think three more years. That's three years to either redeem himself or for the Leafs to find someone new.

Rask tried his hardest to giftwrap this for the Leafs and Andersen tripped over himself giving it back. I like him as a player but this performance was nothing but disappointment.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
We did not play well tonight but the reality is the 3rd period choke is on Andersen. The tying and go ahead goal for Boston were both weak...He makes those saves Pastrnak probably doesnt even get that chance and we probably win or at very least are going to OT.

Andersen is known as a bad playoff goalie from his Anaheim days. I thought he was getting passed it with his play to get us back tied in this series...But in the end he chokes in the 3rd and his reputation as a poor playoff performer continues.

Not sure about the Krug goal. A double screen on a perfectly placed shot. Deep in his net? Perhaps, but he probably does not see it either way

The game winning goal, however, simply cannot go in. Wasn't a good goal at all.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Not sure about the Krug goal. A double screen on a perfectly placed shot. Deep in his net? Perhaps, but he probably does not see it either way

The game winning goal, however, simply cannot go in. Wasn't a good goal at all.
There was a bit of a moving screen but he should have been able to track it from that far out. No deflection i believe he just froze. Gotta battle that one i legit think he just froze from the pressure.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
There was a bit of a moving screen but he should have been able to track it from that far out. No deflection... i believe he just froze. Gotta battle that one i legit think he just froze from the pressure.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Broda
Bower

Cujo
Belfour
Potvin

Andersen
Bernier
Reimer

Toskala
Raycroft

————

We can talk about Andy being Cujo level when he f***ing wins a playoff series. Till then he can wade in the mediocre tier with Red light Reimer and Jonathan “Mandela” Bernier.

Reactions: ToMaLe

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
There's no denying the Leafs choked in the third, but they should have known what was coming. Everyone knows what happened 5 years ago. Andersen failed to rise to the challenge of bailing his team out when it mattered the most. He outplayed Rask sure, but that doesn't mean he played well and that doesn't mean the ones he let in weren't stoppable. It was a collective team failure once again with Andersen shouldering a good amount of the blame. He has I think three more years. That's three years to either redeem himself or for the Leafs to find someone new.

Rask tried his hardest to giftwrap this for the Leafs and Andersen tripped over himself giving it back. I like him as a player but this performance was nothing but disappointment.

I just saw good goals by our guys. What I took from the goals and the pressure our team imposes when it skates, is that we were simply the better skating club...when we took the game to Boston. But when Boston took the game to us, I regard the goals as follows:

1)The back door by DeBrusk was just a good play. Heads up pass and our D wasn't aware of DeBrusk lurking. Can't fault Freddie there.
2)Spin-around in the slot, blocker side just over the pad...When an NHL goalie can see those shots, it's difficult to stop. I don't regard that as something negligent by our goalie. Good goals are let in because NHL shooters are good.
3)Third goal, Bergeron's...That's Polak's read and lively boards with Bergeron having nothing but net after a shot rebounded perfectly. That wasn't an instance where I thought - or could see - ah, Freddie! Again!? Not at all. I'd love an explanation as to how that's simply not just a good goal.
4)Freddie loses sight in somewhat of a scrum of the face-off and is beat by a shot from the blue line with little obstruction. That one hurt and I'd file that under, Freddie shoulda had that.
5)Bad goal. Bad cover, bad goal. Period.
6)Attrocious D zone play. If you watch the replay...It looks like Freddie is pointing to Pasternak, who nobody bothers to pick up. Gardiner flies in front, Andersen's obstructed, he's down. It's a bad goal, it's not nearly Andersen's fault.
7) Empty net.

Four of those goals weren't due to our goalie's negligence. I'd even go so far as to say five weren't. We simply lost as a team to a team that has leadership who know through experience what our young club doesn't and demonstrated it with a champion's confidence.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
He can only make so many monster saves. Carried us to game 7. Not his best tonight. Hard to judge until the team defence improves, he is asked to do too much each night to get the win..

Reactions: WildWolfdog

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Andersson was just terrible for most of the series. The goals he let in were not only bad, but deflating for the whole team. At least 2 of those goals shouldn't have gone in tonight, and probably 3.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
We win last years Washington series and this Boston series with "good consistent" not great goaltending! I'm done with Andersen, decent regular season goalie but not a clutch playoff goalie.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Andersen is an average NHL starter at best. He was average in the regular season the past two years, average in the playoffs last year, and garbage in the playoffs this year. He just doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude to be consistent.

To me the fact he never takes responsibility for when he plays like crap is a huge red flag. I have never seen anyone who is successful and has a winning attitude who didn't take responsibility when they perform poorly. In any field, not just hockey. In order to be great, you HAVE to be able to challenge yourself to do better.

I'd rather have Chris Osgood. A guy who was never elite, but at least you could depend on him not to stink it up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
tumblr_namgp3pq0K1rn5vzno1_500.0.png

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
We win last years Washington series and this Boston series with "good consistent" not great goaltending! I'm done with Andersen, decent regular season goalie but not a clutch playoff goalie.

Lol what? Decent? I guess his.952 / .933 / .970 save percentages in their 3 wins were just decent? 40 / 42 / 32 saves were also just decent?

Yeah, you and your ilk deserve Toskala and Gustavsson goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->