Speculation: Freddy Andersen is the best leafs tender since CUJO

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Having a good offense hid a lot of Reimer's flaws. He is the reason Bruins actually got to a game 7. With Andy, we might have won in 6 games. Instead we had to play 7 game series because of Reimer, and we suffered the worst callapse in history.
Florida callapsed last season as well with Reimer in net.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
The only reason im here is because of Andersen. I am following the Danish players.
I think Andersen had good games and bad games in last years playoff. I would call his and Holtbys performances average.

I dont get this Reimer thing you guys are having. If I remember it correctly it was something like leafs had a 4-1 lead in game 7 vs Bruins and ended up losing. I dont know how much of theat loss was on Reimer, but you cant let one game decide how good or bad a goalie was/is.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
And Mcelhinney has been better than .914 so what’s your complaint

sample size...7 games vs a career.

mcelhinney is a .906 career goalie

my point is that mcelhinney is average at best as a backup. his 9-11 record as a leaf suggest below average.
Pickard likely wont even get a shot because of asset management but he is ripping up the AHL and outplayed a former vezina candidate in colorado...

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
sample size...7 games vs a career.

mcelhinney is a .906 career goalie

my point is that mcelhinney is average at best as a backup. his 9-11 record as a leaf suggest below average.
Pickard likely wont even get a shot because of asset management but he is ripping up the AHL and outplayed a former vezina candidate in colorado...

Lol what? It makes no sense to say he’s a bad backup because of his past sv%, and use his win/loss record as evidence when that win/loss record is a result of actually having a fine sv% of 916.

The poor record has mostly been a result of playing exclusively the tail end of back to backs.

And btw using sv% data from 10 yrs ago isn’t a great way to evaluate how good a goalie is today.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
The first goalie to survive the slaughter house in Toronto for ages, he has to be f***ing great?

Leafs used to be like a graveyard for goalies, Freddy is a great goalie and extremely strong mentally which is necessary in Toronto.

Side note: An old Leafs goalie showing his potential for the Avs right now, Bernier, four straight wins looking really strong.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

We aren't a playoff team without him. This place would be in for a eye opener if he got injured for any significant amount of time.

If we lost him for a month we would sink like a rock in the standings. If he were to go out for the season, we would not make the playoffs.

He is the teams backbone! Matthews and the rest of the core has been effective but saying any of them have been consistent would be stretching it. He has been our most consistent player easily and most important.

Andersen is a blessing! Best trade the leafs have made since Jvr.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
2nd best since CuJo*

nope.

SV%

Belfour: .922/.918/.892
Andersen: .918/.922

Belfour joined a cup contending, 100pt team
Andersen joined a team that was the worst team in the league
If Belfour wasnt completely out of shape and horrible after the lockout it would be closer

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
nope.

SV%

If Belfour wasnt completely out of shape and horrible after the lockout it would be closer

And like Cujo and Belfour the personnel in front of Andersen will never be good enough to get over the hump.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Let's wait until he has a postseason akin to Cujo. Andersen had a .915 save percentage in last years playoffs. If we had prime Cujo, we coulda' won.

In 92-93, Joseph absolutely robbed the Hawks in the first round (first time he outdueled Belfour). And then he almost single-handedly beat the leafs - lost in 7 games. He finished with a .938 save percentage in the playoffs. And this is the highest scoring season in the 1990s

In 96-97 , he STOLE the series against the Stars. The Stars were clearly the better team. Finished with a .911 save percentage in the playoffs.

In 97-98, he STOLE the series against the Avs. He outdueled none other than Patrick Roy. He finished with a .928 save percentage in the playoffs.

In 98-99, the Leafs made it to the 3rd round but he wasn't spectacular in any of the series. He finished with a .907 save percentage.

In 1999-2000, Joseph STOLE the first round against the heavily favoured Sens and almost outdueled Brodeur in the second round. Finished with a .932 save percentage.

2000-2001, Joseph again won us the series against the Sens before losing to the devils yet again. Finished with .927 save percentage.

2001-2002, he played like crap against the Islanders in the first round but we were still good enough to win. He picked it up big time against the Sens and won us the series because we had a crap ton of injuries. He played even better against the Canes but we couldn't score to save our lives. He finished with a .934 save percentage.

Joseph is known as one of the best playoffs goalies ever despite never winning it all. He absolutely stole 4-6 series that his team had absolutely no business winning. I've yet to see Andersen do anything remotely close to what Cujo did in the playoffs.

I agree that Andersen has not had an off the charts season yet statistically. But I do think that in the long run Andersen will have more success as a Leaf than Cujo did. That is what I am basing my opinion on.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
We aren't a playoff team without him. This place would be in for a eye opener if he got injured for any significant amount of time.

If we lost him for a month we would sink like a rock in the standings. If he were to go out for the season, we would not make the playoffs.

He is the teams backbone!

This is true of almost all number one goaltenders in the NHL...

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This is true of almost all number one goaltenders in the NHL...

The other teams aren't giving up the same extreme amount of shots we do. Andersen has faced the most rubber in the league the last two years running.

He is not a average #1 goalie. He is a elite top ten and maybe higher. I don't think teams that play good defense would fair as badly as we would with that loss.

I think he is our most valuable player easily.

You read the article I linked and seen he is rated with the fourth most quality starts innthe league. 4th in wins etc.

He can't simply be lumped in with 31 starters and say he is equal only. He is better than most starters.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
2nd best since CuJo*

63-32-18, 2.67GAA/.920SV%

Vs Belfour 93-61-15, 2.51GAA/.912SV%

Belfour joined a 100pt team that was already a cup contender.
Andersen joined the worst team in the league and helped turn them into a team that might set a team record for points

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
nope.

SV%

You may have a point but Belfour was an upgrade on Cujo in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad