Waived: Freddie Hamilton + Tanner Glass

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I do believe it because it’s the truth. He was brought to the Flames largely because of his last name, not because he was filling a huge need other than some size. He’s not a bad hockey player, but he’s literally not done a single thing in almost 2 seasons to justify occupying a roster spot. I think it’s pretty clear why he wasn’t waived before now.

Seeing how Gulutzan has mismanaged Jankowski, Bennett, Kulak, etc, I'm not so sure I agree. I think Hamilton showed multiple times he deserved a role on this team. He was solid in the AHL when we acquired him. He was successful when we called him up. He had one of the purest one time goals a Flames forward (RHS, to boot) has scored on this team in the last two years:

That's the kind of goal that makes you think "hey, let's try this guy with some talent...". The year before, he had more chemistry with Gaudreau and Monahan than Chiasson or Brouwer ever did yet never got an opportunity there, since. He's always been a good PKer. He finds soft spots and gets shots on net.

But Hamilton never found his way up the roster. Do I think the two year one-way deal was partially to appease Dougie? Sure. But that same preseason Hamilton did the exact same thing Jankowski did in this year's preseason - light up the lamp. He earned a spot on the team and just like Kulak it was straight to the press box.

But Freddie wasn't a pity keep. IMO he was a player management wanted to see succeed because they clearly have a different opinion on him from Glen "Turned Sam Bennett from the a future perennial Hart candidate into a guy who couldn't score on an empty net" Gulutzan who hates prospects.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So when San Jose and Colorado played and kept Hamilton on their roster was that because they were getting ready to trade for Dougie?

You really believe that an NHL team is trading for a guy that isn't good enough to help the team and then keeping him on the roster ahead of other players while they are struggling just to make their 3rd/4th/5th best player happy? That is an insane theory if the player involved was Sidney Crosby and absolute bonkers with it being for Dougie Hamilton. If true how is Gaudreau not pissed that Matthew isn't here?

Has there ever been a similar case where a professional sports team signed a guys brother and kept him on the roster ahead of other guys in order to make the brother happy? And yet this is what the Flames are doing for Dougie Flippin' Hamilton?

Freddie Hamilton, while bot being a stud, was able to play games for 2 different NHL organizations prior to Calgary. It isn't like he was some bum over in Europe or out of hockey all together before the Flames brought him in. To say he is only on the roster to make Dougie feel happy is not only ridiculous it is pretty insulting to Freddie Hamilton and really ignorant in regards to his career.

Reactions: TychoFan

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
And I do think people are fooling themselves if they think the Flames would have still traded for Freddie if he wasn’t Dougies bother. They clearly got him to make Dougie feel more at ease in a new environment. I believe the team owes it to the player to do the right thing and treat him like anyone else if they aren’t going to play him.

If they got him to "clearly make Dougie feel more at east in a new environment" why did they send Freddie to Stockton for the majority of the year. How does that make him feel more at ease in Calgary?

And why not hire the mom or dad for way less money and zero impact to your hockey team if feeling comfortable is the concern?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Seeing how Gulutzan has mismanaged Jankowski, Bennett, Kulak, etc, I'm not so sure I agree. I think Hamilton showed multiple times he deserved a role on this team. He was solid in the AHL when we acquired him. He was successful when we called him up. He had one of the purest one time goals a Flames forward (RHS, to boot) has scored on this team in the last two years:

That's the kind of goal that makes you think "hey, let's try this guy with some talent...". The year before, he had more chemistry with Gaudreau and Monahan than Chiasson or Brouwer ever did yet never got an opportunity there, since. He's always been a good PKer. He finds soft spots and gets shots on net.

But Hamilton never found his way up the roster. Do I think the two year one-way deal was partially to appease Dougie? Sure. But that same preseason Hamilton did the exact same thing Jankowski did in this year's preseason - light up the lamp. He earned a spot on the team and just like Kulak it was straight to the press box.

But Freddie wasn't a pity keep. IMO he was a player management wanted to see succeed because they clearly have a different opinion on him from Glen "Turned Sam Bennett from the a future perennial Hart candidate into a guy who couldn't score on an empty net" Gulutzan who hates prospects.

Yeah, like I don’t mind Freddie personally, I said in my previous post that I’d be playing him if I were GM. But I think the Flames have clearly mismanaged him. If they are not going to play him, do everyone a favour and move on and explore other positive options.

Last year he played 26 games on the Flames, 0 games on he Heat. This season he’s played in a total of 2, it’s pretty clear the coach doesn’t want to play him, yet he remains up with the club. That math does not add up, no other player would remain on the big club under the same circumstances. It isn’t a mystery to anyone why he hasn’t been waived yet.

It’s to bad, Freddie seems like a great guy, I think he is an NHL player and by all accounts he works very hard in practice. But it bothers me how he’s been managed when it’s clear that he’s remained on the roster to be a passenger and to be a roommate for his brother. That’s not fair to Freddie or anyone else on the team.

Reactions: Cyrano

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Considering how much Freddie sits, is having a "more deserving player" up instead really a good thing? He's literally the 13/14 forward, there for insurance or if you need a shakeup every once in a while.

That being said I'd like to play him more often. He should be rotated in from time to time.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

That's really hard to do

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, like I don’t mind Freddie personally, I said in my previous post that I’d be playing him if I were GM. But I think the Flames have clearly mismanaged him. If they are not going to play him, do everyone a favour and move on and explore other positive options.

Last year he played 26 games on the Flames, 0 games on he Heat. This season he’s played in a total of 2, it’s pretty clear the coach doesn’t want to play him, yet he remains up with the club. That math does not add up, no other player would remain on the big club under the same circumstances.

You're basically just describing the role of a 14th forward or 7th defenceman, Harv. :huh:

In an ideal world, your 12 forwards are good enough that you don't ever want to sit them. But you still want to carry the max number of players in case of emergency. So for your extras, it's preferable to not have prospects, because playing in no games all season is a legitimate possibility. Your last statement is false. This happens with other teams, too.

Josh Leivo has played in two games all year for the Maple Leafs. Nate Prosser has one game for the Blues. Scott Harrington has two games for the Jackets. Etc.

If you're one of the teams that has been relatively healthy, and you believe that you have the best 12 forwards in the lineup, why would you plan to rotate?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You're basically just describing the role of a 14th forward or 7th defenceman, Harv. :huh:

In an ideal world, your 12 forwards are good enough that you don't ever want to sit them. But you still want to carry the max number of players in case of emergency. So for your extras, it's preferable to not have prospects, because playing in no games all season is a legitimate possibility. Your last statement is false. This happens with other teams, too.

Josh Leivo has played in two games all year for the Maple Leafs. Nate Prosser has one game for the Blues. Scott Harrington has two games for the Jackets. Etc.

If you're one of the teams that has been relatively healthy, and you believe that you have the best 12 forwards in the lineup, why would you plan to rotate?

Fair enough, and Freddie is a decent 13/14th forward. But my issue that this was overdue was because Janko was sent down due to a numbers game at the beginning of the season. He made the team based on his and should have been in the top 9 like he is now. I also think Hathaway should have been up.

Basically for me what it comes down to and the thing I’m most frustrated with is this: the Flames should be icing the best lineup possible they owe it to their fans. And it bothers me if politics and loyalties are playing into their decisions of what roster moves they should or shouldn’t be making. Again if it were me, I’d probably keep Freddie up, I’ve never minded his play. He’s a decent skater, he’s big, he’s good on the draw, I like the energy he provides but the Flames don’t want to play him because of Stajan.

Anyways I’m encouraged that they waived Glass and now Freddie because of the message it sends to the team. There is a clear issue in our bottom 6 so I’m glad they are finally taking steps to enforce change.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Fair enough, and Freddie is a decent 13/14th forward. But my issue that this was overdue was because Janko was sent down due to a numbers game at the beginning of the season. He made the team based on his and should have been in the top 9 like he is now. I also think Hathaway should have been up.

Basically for me what it comes down to and the thing I’m most frustrated with is this: the Flames should be icing the best lineup possible they owe it to their fans. And it bothers me if politics and loyalties are playing into their decisions of what roster moves they should or shouldn’t be making. Again if it were me, I’d probably keep Freddie up, I’ve never minded his play. He’s a decent skater, he’s big, he’s good on the draw, I like the energy he provides but the Flames don’t want to play him because of Stajan.

Anyways I’m encouraged that they waived Glass and now Freddie because of the message it sends to the team. There is a clear issue in our bottom 6 so I’m glad they are finally taking steps to enforce change.

The thing is, the situation that you're referring to at the beginning of the season wasn't in any way because of Freddie. If the Flames thought Janko had earned a spot on the opening-night lineup, he would have been there. They would have made that happen. But for him it's a binary situation. Either he's playing in the lineup, getting good minutes, or he's in the AHL. For Freddie, either he's in the lineup, or he's a healthy scratch for 65 games in a season, or he's waived. No one really cares, because he's replaceable and doesn't have much potential. Sending Freddie down so that Janko could eat popcorn in the press box would have made no sense.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Considering how much Freddie sits, is having a "more deserving player" up instead really a good thing? He's literally the 13/14 forward, there for insurance or if you need a shakeup every once in a while.

That being said I'd like to play him more often. He should be rotated in from time to time.
Yeah, Familton is an ideal extra forward. He's a decent 4th liner without high end upside, and there's the benefit that his presence makes his star brother happy.

At the "GG ruined Bennett" people: LOL. Bennett is struggling because of his own issues. Don't blame the coach for refusing to configure the entire team to coddle a kid who's supposedly a star in the making. The only issue GG has introduced to Bennett is Brouwer on his wing, and that's more on Treliving for signing the guy in the first place.

Reactions: Skobel24

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The thing is, the situation that you're referring to at the beginning of the season wasn't in any way because of Freddie. If the Flames thought Janko had earned a spot on the opening-night lineup, he would have been there. They would have made that happen. But for him it's a binary situation. Either he's playing in the lineup, getting good minutes, or he's in the AHL. For Freddie, either he's in the lineup, or he's a healthy scratch for 65 games in a season, or he's waived. No one really cares, because he's replaceable and doesn't have much potential. Sending Freddie down so that Janko could eat popcorn in the press box would have made no sense.

Freddie doesn’t affect Janko’s minutes, no. But he was 100% sent down due to a numbers game which Freddie was a factor in. If the Flames were going to put their top 12 best forwards on the ice out of training camp, Janks would have been part of that group. There’s other players that could have or should have been waived IMO. It’s really not even debatable and that’s why he’s up and on the team now. Again my last comment is I’m encouraged that the Flames seem to be righting this wrong.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Freddie doesn’t affect Janko’s minutes, no. But he was 100% sent down due to a numbers game which Freddie was a factor in. If the Flames were going to put their top 12 best forwards on the ice out of training camp, Janks would have been part of that group. There’s other players that could have or should have been waived IMO. It’s really not even debatable and that’s why he’s up and on the team now. Again my last comment is I’m encouraged that the Flames seem to be righting this wrong.

I mean, it's perfectly fine to disagree with them, but the Flames wanted Monahan, Backlund, Stajan and Bennett playing centre on opening night. Janko was in the top 14 forwards for sure, but not the top 12. Case in point, before Jagr joined the team, he was still up, but not part of the team. They waived Hathaway, but sent down Jankowski before the first game instead of him. Jankowski could have played against Edmonton if they wanted numbers-wise, but in the eyes of the team he wasn't the best option.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I mean, it's perfectly fine to disagree with them, but the Flames wanted Monahan, Backlund, Stajan and Bennett playing centre on opening night. Janko was in the top 14 forwards for sure, but not the top 12. Case in point, before Jagr joined the team, he was still up, but not part of the team. They waived Hathaway, but sent down Jankowski before the first game instead of him. Jankowski could have played against Edmonton if they wanted numbers-wise, but in the eyes of the team he wasn't the best option.

See but I think he was seen a best top 9 option and down regardless due to numbers lol.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Janks - Jagr

Is the best top 9. I do agree that the Flames wanted to try Bennett at C, so I concede that and it’s a huge point. But as long as management is learning from their mistakes I can take satisfaction from that as a fan.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
See but I think he was seen a best top 9 option and down regardless due to numbers lol.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Janks - Jagr

Is the best top 9. I do agree that the Flames wanted to try Bennett at C, so I concede that and it’s a huge point. But as long as management is learning from their mistakes I can take satisfaction from that as a fan.

Again. The Flames had the roster flexibility to keep Janko up and send Hathaway down for the first game. They did not do that. That's pretty much definitive proof that the Flames did not think he made the team better at that point. Part of that is probably that they expected big things out of Sam Bennett, and they did not believe that Jankowski would bump any of the wingers out of their spot, all of whom seem to bring something to the table.

The reason I'm disagreeing with you is that it can't possibly have been a numbers thing as to why the Flames didn't have him on the roster, because numbers weren't a factor for opening night. They had the ability to have him in the lineup without waiving anyone else or sending Frederick E. Hamilton down, and they made a deliberate decision not to do that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, someone must be getting to the airport today. Harv, the 30-day thing is the time they can send down Hamilton or Glass without exposing them to waivers again. But we still can only have 23 guys on the active roster.

If Glass was noted as being on the ice today, I'd imagine Hamilton is on a plane today.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pat Steinberg‏Verified account @Fan960Steinberg 2h2 hours ago
One of Glass or F. Hamilton will have to be sent to Stockton if the team activates Jagr for tonight. All three on the ice now. #Flames

Don't know why their leaving this to the last minute. Should have sent both down and recalled Hathaway or Mangiapane and scratched Versteeg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad